• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

stc3248 said:
Haha...I cheated with a burger tonight so you didn't get me with that one! :rofl: Looks way better than my burger, but at least I am not starving looking at it! Mmmmm!
Good move, I hate running across some killa foodie that drives me running to the kitchen, lol. mmmm I love burgers too, hope it was great! I like mixing minced onions, JA Habs, a spoon of Caribbean Island Soy and a few dashes of different herbs/spices before mixing ground sirloin into burger shapes, dam now my mouth is watering ... BBL ;)

Devv said:
Good stuff there Ramon!
Thanks Scott, if you like shrimp you should give the Enchilado de Camarones a try it’s seriously tasty or you could substitute the shrimp for lobster ^_^

Deeeelish-us

I hope you don't mind my sidetracking your blog... But do you have any good recipes for potatoes?

(I recently purchased a 120lb. Bag of potatoes on the roadside... And I basically only know 2 or 3 recipes for them - wife is hassling me over my purchase :D)

So far I did :

- hand cut French fries
- papas arrugadas
- potatoes pie

Thx Alfred

Al-from-Chile said:
Deeeelish-us

I hope you don't mind my sidetracking your blog... But do you have any good recipes for potatoes?

(I recently purchased a 120lb. Bag of potatoes on the roadside... And I basically only know 2 or 3 recipes for them - wife is hassling me over my purchase :D)

So far I did :

- hand cut French fries
- papas arrugadas
- potatoes pie

Thx Alfred
Rosemary roasted potatoes my wife makes, they're awesome. Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can find it on the net, if not I'll type it up from my better half, BRB

Rosemary roasted potatoes
Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch-cubes
  • ¼ cup virgin olive oil
  • 5 to 6 large rosemary sprigs (about 5 inches long)
  • 8 to 12 large garlic cloves, peeled
  • Peal and cut potatoes and blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water, then strain.

Preheat oven to 450°F
In a 4-sided cookie pan toss potatoes & galic, douse with olive oil, spread rosemary over everything. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Make sure all is spread out so dem can cook, bake for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping the potatoes every now and den so they roast evenly on all edges till golden/dark and edges are crisp. The 10-15 minutes is an estimation, after flipping them you’ll probably need to roast additional 10 minutes for each side. Don’t worry if the garlic burns, it’s still tasty …

Now back to our regularly scheduled program "WalkGood Glog," lolz

Al-from-Chile said:
Deeeelish-us

So far I did :

- hand cut French fries
- papas arrugadas
- potatoes pie

Thx Alfred
Tomorrow I will post a fantastic knish recipe...

Believe it or not... there are a few recipes using potatoes from India. The first date I had with my (now) wife was a picnic, and I made Sookhe Aloo to bring along. She still talks about it and it's been close to 20 years. http://www.vegbowl.in/2011/02/sukhe-aloo.html
The spices used can be whatever you have on hand that that you like together, but don't leave out the Asafoetida! It's a smelly resin obtained from the bulb of an asian plant. It can be found in chunks or powdered. You only need a pinch, and it has the most amazing truffles and garlic flavor when you dissolve it in hot oil.

Rick, That looks fantastic!

A few years ago we wound up with way too many potatoes, I was worried about spoilage.

I grew up on the East coast and the deli's always had these fantastic knishes, and they can be frozen. That's the key, you can put them up.

http://www.devtex.net/knish.txt  It's a simple recipe and it came super close to what I ate as a kid. I always peppered and salted them and dipped them in ketchup, some use mustard.

This recipe can easily be spiced up as well.

stickman said:
I'll have to try them... I know whole or chunked potatoes don't freeze well. I assume these are made with mashed potatoes?

Yes, and the instant potatoes are only added to control the consistency, as the fresh taters were really wet. They freeze real well!

WalkGood said:
Rosemary roasted potatoes my wife makes, they're awesome. Give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can find it on the net, if not I'll type it up from my better half, BRB

Rosemary roasted potatoes
Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch-cubes
  • ¼ cup virgin olive oil
  • 5 to 6 large rosemary sprigs (about 5 inches long)
  • 8 to 12 large garlic cloves, peeled
  • Peal and cut potatoes and blanch for 2 minutes in boiling water, then strain.

Preheat oven to 450°F
In a 4-sided cookie pan toss potatoes & galic, douse with olive oil, spread rosemary over everything. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Make sure all is spread out so dem can cook, bake for 10 to 15 minutes, flipping the potatoes every now and den so they roast evenly on all edges till golden/dark and edges are crisp. The 10-15 minutes is an estimation, after flipping them you’ll probably need to roast additional 10 minutes for each side. Don’t worry if the garlic burns, it’s still tasty …

Now back to our regularly scheduled program "WalkGood Glog," lolz

I've done something similar a ton of times. Only difference is that I use thyme as well as rosemary. They compliment each other nicely- hot salt on mine too, but not the kids. 

Devv said:
Tomorrow I will post a fantastic knish recipe...
stickman said:
Believe it or not... there are a few recipes using potatoes from India. …
Devv said:
Rick, That looks fantastic! …
stickman said:
I'll have to try them... I know whole or chunked potatoes don't freeze well. …
Devv said:
Yes, and the instant potatoes are only added to control the consistency, as the fresh taters were really wet. They freeze real well!
Sounds like you guys have the tater convo all under control so I won’t comment on dem but please feel free to share your info as I do read it and like ^_^

Jeff H said:
I've done something similar a ton of times. Only difference is that I use thyme as well as rosemary. They compliment each other nicely- hot salt on mine too, but not the kids.
Sounds good, I’ll have to give your way a try as well, thanks for the idea and I hear you on the powder/salt me too if I don’t go with hot sauce ^_^

Glad to see you overcome your pepper struggles man! That snail deserved no better. Ground sirloin makes the best burgers and your take on em sounds super dank. Ill hafta try it. Rock on!

Dude!   I feel like I've been away for a year or something!   Your back yard is amazing man!   Wanna rent it out for a weekend?   But seriously,   MoA pods already!   They are looking like little trees mon!!!!!!!!   Outstanding job brotha!   Just amazed with the progress on this glog!  And just in case I didn't use enough exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, those MoAs are looking awesome!  The JA Habs, too.  Your pride definitely comes out with them. 

Regarding the snails, I agree, no mercy!  I will say though that I tried escargot in a French restaurant once and it was really good!  Reminded me of sauteed mushrooms with garlic butter. 

That dish had me drooling, man.  I haven't had breakfast yet!  ;)

Keep it up, my friend!

Al-from-Chile said:
Deeeelish-us

So far I did :

- hand cut French fries
- papas arrugadas
- potatoes pie

Thx Alfred
I dont this one before and it is very good.
Moussaka
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,168,150175-229207,00.html

Peptacular said:
Glad to see you overcome your pepper struggles man! That snail deserved no better. Ground sirloin makes the best burgers and your take on em sounds super dank. Ill hafta try it. Rock on!
Taylor snails are only a minor bump in da road, it’s mites that are the PITA. In prior years there were no struggles and now it’s a new issue every few months. But if ya love peppers like me, they're all minor bumps till ya get to eat & cook with da pods! … thanks for the burger comment, hope you enjoy!

Jamison said:
Dude! I feel like I've been away for a year or something! Your back yard is amazing man! Wanna rent it out for a weekend? But seriously, MoA pods already! They are looking like little trees mon!!!!!!!! Outstanding job brotha! Just amazed with the progress on this glog! And just in case I didn't use enough exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks Jamison, it’s the weather now … everything’s getting growth spurts and podding up like crazy. Now that your weather is warming up I’m sure you’re plants won’t be far behind. I’m still waiting on the MoA pods to yellow up, I’m dying to eat/try dem. BTW beautiful house you bought, congrats brethren ^_^

Sanarda said:
YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMMMMMMYYYYYY
Thanks Pia

DocNrock said:
Dude, those MoAs are looking awesome! The JA Habs, too. Your pride definitely comes out with them.

Regarding the snails, I agree, no mercy! I will say though that I tried escargot in a French restaurant once and it was really good! Reminded me of sauteed mushrooms with garlic butter.

That dish had me drooling, man. I haven't had breakfast yet! ;)

Keep it up, my friend!
Thanks Doc Brent, the snails aren’t that bad till it rains a lot but after you have killed a few it’s doubtful you’ll eat them, not sure if I’m as brave as you with escargot, hehe. Only snails I’ve every eaten are conch and I’ve had it cooked most ways the Bahamians make them. Thanks for stopping in and kudos ... btw I enjoyed reading about your new drip set up ^_^

PIC 1 said:
Now ya got me hungry, time to break out my leftovers...
How's the MoA's and the JA's going ?
Greg I’ll post up some pics of the MoAs and JA Habs soon, but first pics of ya seed which look great. I’m still waiting on the MoA pods to ripen before picking them. I’ve got the mites off them and new growth is back strong but the older leaves still have that fugly rust look upder leaves. I’ve continued pruning them but only a few leaves at a time and the plants help out sheading them too, hehe.

Update

White Bhut (PIC1), Not sure if you can see them all but I count 6 and IIRC there’s 7 formed so far.
2urv5z7.jpg

Here’s a close up of the two larger ones, not full size yet but soon come mon.
ixxfcw.jpg

mo8cn.jpg

Chocolate Scorpion (PIC1) currently has about 6 pods on her but mas are setting and she has a lot of flowers.
f9ktx1.jpg

jpc7qc.jpg

First Red Bhut setting (PIC1)
35jjo77.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion flower
bgb6fq.jpg

Rosemary oil concentrate made by Scott (Devv) which I'll be testing on one plant to see how it kills or prevents mites. This should be interesting. Thanks Scott, you da man mon!!!!
nqvi8z.jpg

bedc10.jpg

2bsk7l.jpg

Back