• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

stickman said:

You da man Scott! I think we'll all be watching to see how the Rosemary oil does to repel mites.

I agree, awesome job Scott this stuff looks like super extract … very strong upon inspection!!! If it doesn’t kill the mites, it will make a nice base for sofritio starter ;) hahaha

stickman said:

Good on ya for agreeing to be the Guinea Pig Ramon... ;)

Rick you must have read thru our pm’s as that’s exactly what I said, “I’ll be da guinea pig,” lols!

Shrooms anyone ;)
1zykfeq.jpg

All the Jalapeño’s are full with pods, even the smallest plants under 12”s, hehe
jjvdd2.jpg

Here’s one of the pods on the smallest plant. The stalk is strong from outdoor grow and she supports 4 this size, while many like to remove them thinking it will keep plant small, I say it didn't hurt my largest which started producing at around 8"s high and is now close to 24"s high and still growing.
30wsbh4.jpg

Largest Jal is full up too
b50jr6.jpg

m7rpdd.jpg

Chocolate hab from Chris (thegreenman)
3538nyf.jpg

Cayenne pepper
2nsnz2x.jpg

Jamaican Habanero pods
e8oocj.jpg

2rcx06s.jpg

1j836r.jpg

As always thanks for looking, have a great day and there's more pics for later ...

good luck with that Rosemary oil keeping the mites off ... will it smother the leaves??  I know Rosemary oil from the actual plants is sticky stuff so I would tread carefully with it initially especially in the heat!

Those pods are starting to look good as well ... things are starting to Ramp up over there .... keep on growing!!

Trippa said:
good luck with that Rosemary oil keeping the mites off ... will it smother the leaves?? I know Rosemary oil from the actual plants is sticky stuff so I would tread carefully with it initially especially in the heat!
Solid point and I agree, I’ll look back at the mix ratios again but off the top of my head it’s roughly 1 oz of RM oil concentrate + 1 oz of soap to one gallon of water, hopefully that will thin it out enough. That said, I don’t even spray neem in da heat of the day here. This is for an early morning or late day spraying only. I’ll have to allow the plant to take some sun or the test would be worthless, if she burns up and I can pull her in time or what ever happens I’ll be logging …

Trippa said:
Those pods are starting to look good as well ... things are starting to Ramp up over there .... keep on growing!!
Thanks Trippa :)

Mas JA Habs …
34r9de0.jpg

2d846de.jpg

1fwc2q.jpg

25873gg.jpg

Your plants are in full swing, plenty of jalapenos...whats on the menu for those ?

I'm getting pretty excited about the JA Habs, my plants are starting to shoot up, must have been all the rain and finally 2 days in a row of sun.

The soil has the "goods" going, even the schrooms look healthy !

Dude, those White Bhuts are going to be awesome!  White peppers are da shiznit!  Everything else is looking great, as well.  Love the loaded Jalapeno plants.  Definitely a chilehead staple.  The pods on the Chocolate Scorp and JA Hab look huge!  Nice going.  That rosemary oil concentrate looks, well, really concentrated!  Like you said, either kill mites with it, or I could think of basting chicken and red potatoes with it.  :)

Looking awesome, dude!

PIC 1 said:
Your plants are in full swing, plenty of jalapenos...whats on the menu for those ?

I'm getting pretty excited about the JA Habs, my plants are starting to shoot up, must have been all the rain and finally 2 days in a row of sun.

The soil has the "goods" going, even the schrooms look healthy !
Thanks Greg, your seed has blown me away, just as prolific as the MoA seeds. The White Bhut is around 33”s tall, still growing!!! The others (Red Bhut, Trinidad Scorpion & Chocolate Scorp) are only 3”s behind her, not sure what I’ll do beyond poppers, dip and I’d like to powder some of the Jals, I should have plenty. My better half will probably make loads of tomato salad with them, she loves it and I enjoy it too. As far as the rest, the skys the limit right now, will use them in cooking & powder, I’ll probably start out with infusing some sea salt with JA Habs, one of my favs. I’m happy to read you are getting excited about your JA Habs, I can wait to see the pods you’ll be pulling ^_^ Thanks for comments and I fully agree on the rain and sun, I’ve been saving rain water for a special seaweed tea I want to make, soon come after 30 to 40 days, hehe … have a great day mi Chicago brethren!

koskorgul said:
What no Foodie pics? I got ya covered this time. Posted some of the Emapanadas I made this weekend, over in my glog.

Pods and plants looking good. Was looking at my Thai Fires yesterday and it looks like I am getting the start of my first pod on the one.
Hors d'oeuvres just for you, Click Here and Here, I had them the day of pics and didn't post. I’m tied up right now but looking forward to seeing your foodie within the next several hours or later today, unless I get a break sooner, gotta eat first just in case, lolz.

DocNrock said:
Dude, those White Bhuts are going to be awesome! White peppers are da shiznit! Everything else is looking great, as well. Love the loaded Jalapeno plants. Definitely a chilehead staple. The pods on the Chocolate Scorp and JA Hab look huge! Nice going. That rosemary oil concentrate looks, well, really concentrated! Like you said, either kill mites with it, or I could think of basting chicken and red potatoes with it. :)

Looking awesome, dude!
Thanks Doc Brent, I can’t wait to try one of dem white girls and the pod too ;) I’ll soon have enough Jals to powder, can’t wait to make some green and red salts … The Chocolate Scorp looks scary, I’ve never tried one … if it’s anything like Jamie’s chocolate Bhut, I’ll be burning down the house ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ;) (wink cause it’s bubblegum music, lol).

I’m starting to test Scott’s rosemary oil later today, I have that bushy hab that needs some spray, not many mites on her but I’ve been letting her ride waiting for this test and this should be interesting. Thanks for popping in, you dam mon!!!

MoA (STEVE954)
All three
2vums20.jpg

New growth looks good and clean, the older leaves either the plant has been self pruning (one every other day) or I have been removing a few per day. In this picture you can see the far right and left leave’s have the rust color stuff from the mites, I’ll probably remove them within a few days.
6nqdki.jpg

The pods already on them have not ripened and a few more are setting …
hwk39h.jpg

2zylqw1.jpg

2k4pjt.jpg

2ntla9k.jpg

msejyd.jpg

wo8bm.jpg

2dlnign.jpg

WalkGood said:
Thanks Greg, your seed has blown me away, just as prolific as the MoA seeds. The White Bhut is around 33”s tall, still growing!!! The others (Red Bhut, Trinidad Scorpion & Chocolate Scorp) are only 3”s behind her, not sure what I’ll do beyond poppers, dip and I’d like to powder some of the Jals, I should have plenty. My better half will probably make loads of tomato salad with them, she loves it and I enjoy it too. As far as the rest, the skys the limit right now, will use them in cooking & powder, I’ll probably start out with infusing some sea salt with JA Habs, one of my favs. I’m happy to read you are getting excited about your JA Habs, I can wait to see the pods you’ll be pulling ^_^ Thanks for comments and I fully agree on the rain and sun, I’ve been saving rain water for a special seaweed tea I want to make, soon come after 30 to 40 days, hehe … have a great day mi Chicago brethren!

Hors d'oeuvres just for you, Click Here and Here, I had them the day of pics and didn't post. I’m tied up right now but looking forward to seeing your foodie within the next several hours or later today, unless I get a break sooner, gotta eat first just in case, lolz.

Thanks Doc Brent, I can’t wait to try one of dem white girls and the pod too ;) I’ll soon have enough Jals to powder, can’t wait to make some green and red salts … The Chocolate Scorp looks scary, I’ve never tried one … if it’s anything like Jamie’s chocolate Bhut, I’ll be burning down the house ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ;) (wink cause it’s bubblegum music, lol).

I’m starting to test Scott’s rosemary oil later today, I have that bushy hab that needs some spray, not many mites on her but I’ve been letting her ride waiting for this test and this should be interesting. Thanks for popping in, you dam mon!!!

MoA (STEVE954)
All three
2vums20.jpg

New growth looks good and clean, the older leaves either the plant has been self pruning (one every other day) or I have been removing a few per day. In this picture you can see the far right and left leave’s have the rust color stuff from the mites, I’ll probably remove them within a few days.
6nqdki.jpg

The pods already on them have not ripened and a few more are setting …
hwk39h.jpg

2zylqw1.jpg

2k4pjt.jpg

2ntla9k.jpg

msejyd.jpg

wo8bm.jpg

2dlnign.jpg

BEAAAUUUUTIFUL... love it.. hope the bug problems simmer down...

Dang Ramon, pod crazy over there! AND They look great!

Is that the albino JA you were telling me about? Most of my pods are very light colored, while the plant next to it is darker...weird.

If I remember correctly, 1oz Rosemary, 10ml (2 tsp) liquid soap as a surfactant. Rinse in 5 mins...

I lIke the look of those MoA's, one looks like a four leaf clover on the bottom.

Thanks for the Hors d'oeuvres pics, looks tasty. I do something similar with chilli when I make it. Usually have bunch of chilli left over so they are my midnight snack along with a few beers.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
BEAAAUUUUTIFUL... love it.. hope the bug problems simmer down...
Thank you Denniz, your MoAs are also looking very good from the pics I saw. This is Florida and if anyone is looking for a bug free place this is not it. While I did go several years without any major bug issues, those days are gone, it’s always one specieses or another hitting you here. A few weeks or months after you’ve finally declaired victory .... They're Back, hehehe. Currently I’m past the major issues but they are always still lurking out there :0

Devv said:
Dang Ramon, pod crazy over there! AND They look great!

Is that the albino JA you were telling me about? Most of my pods are very light colored, while the plant next to it is darker...weird.

If I remember correctly, 1oz Rosemary, 10ml (2 tsp) liquid soap as a surfactant. Rinse in 5 mins...

I lIke the look of those MoA's, one looks like a four leaf clover on the bottom.
Pod crazy … na, just call me crazy for pods ¯\(º_o)/¯ har-har-har! Well I call her my albino girl but she’s just the same as the others when ripe, the pods are just variegated until they ripen, it's a very cool thing to see if you have the time ;) Thanks for the recipe, I was going to double check the video but if you are sure I’ll mix it up and spray. I have to wait till shaded but I’m allowing her 3 hours of sun tomorrow and I’ll take some pics then. Thanks for looking as always brethren & thanks again for dat awesome rosemary earl, hehe.

romy6 said:
Dem habs be looking marvelous. Mites, I don't see no stinking mites :rofl:
Thanks brethren but when I grow up I wana grow just like you ^_^

koskorgul said:
Thanks for the Hors d'oeuvres pics, looks tasty. I do something similar with chilli when I make it. Usually have bunch of chilli left over so they are my midnight snack along with a few beers.
Your foodie was awesome brethren and great minds think alike on dat chili \o/

As always, thanks all for your advice, comments and support! See ya soon at your glogs :)

Devv said:
Make sure you rinse after a while, at least I thought the video stated that...

Just don't want anything hurt there in WG's jungle ;)
Scott thank you for the disclaimer but the mix ratio appears light to me so I think that this won’t burn the plant/leaves and if it does, que sera sera, worst case I'll plant more, lolz

*Flash bulletin ;) … I was lucky enough to be selected by Mr. Scott (Devv) from Kill Dem Mites Industry to test their new product “Death by Rosemary.” Below are the ingredients to make numerous gallons but I only made one so far. Before we get started I must tip my hat to Mr. Scott hat’s off brethren \o_
35irbk3.jpg

Per Kill Industries; I mixed one ounce of rosemary concentrated oil, one ounce of dish soap with one gallon of very hot water. After mixing thoroughly I filled a spray bottle to spray the Jamaican Hab pictured below with product.
fc2m41.jpg

Some of my observations based on how the mix came out:
  • Finished mix appears watery, I don’t believe this will burn the leaves
  • I believe you could probably use up to 3oz. of the rosemary concentrate
  • When I do increase the mix ration I would go to 2oz before going to 3oz
  • Very nice consistency but I’m not sure it’s going to be strong enough at this ratio to kill anything but only time will tell
To my surprise the plant has 6 nice size pods and a whole bunch of little & forming ones
65n4ue.jpg

hurdxk.jpg

1sxz5g.jpg

I thoroughly inspected the plant and believe with cheaters & mag glass I spotted a few mites but another surprise is that the rains must have washed most of them away.
2v8n39h.jpg

Here’s how she looks after spraying, tomorrow she’ll only get 3 hours of morning sun and heavily diffused light the remainder of the day.
28arqdw.jpg

2s0ijk5.jpg

Since Bushy Rasta Hab was near my Thai hot, I picked off a few for today’s harvest, hehe
n62x75.jpg

Thanks for looking *_* … BBL to read others glogs, see ya den mon!

Devv said:
I'm sitting on my hands waiting for the results!
Well she hasnt caught fire yet, hehe. All joking aside, I noticed right before it got dark that the stuff dried up all over her and she doesnt look shiny like leaves look once neem or mineral oil has been sprayed on them. If I was pressed I'd say it's kind of like a matte finish. I'm not sure if thats good or bad yet, guess well find out when the sun comes up tomorrow :|

looking real good my man!!  i think those mushrooms are Gymnopilus palmicola.  i need to see the gills and a spore print, regardless they are for sure in the gymnopilus family.   and that is yalls mycology lesson for the day ;)

Lemme first say, Damn you miss a lot in a day... On the rest, those MoA pods look wonderful.  Some bonnet shaped, some with no bonnet and pointed, some with tails.  IMO thats the way a pepper plant that is true is supposed to grow.  Take seeds from the pods you like and try to replicate.  True plants represent many variants.. Your on point my good man... Walk good!!!!!!!!

[quote name="WalkGoodI'm not sure if thats good or bad yet, guess well find out when the sun comes up tomorrow :|

[/quote]

Unless, of course, we run into more serious problems, like the sun not coming up tomorrow.

:D

Pd: joking aside - even you "sickest" plans look great.

Back