• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Devv said:
Like the powder! Gonna try some soon.
Thank you for the “like” :) You definitely need to do the powdering since you already have the gear and it has so many uses. A good friend of mine that lives in Palm Beach County (just north of me) is coming over with a bad full of pods tomorrow so I’ll be making mas for him. On my next batch I’m going to grind in fresh garlic and maybe a few FL Everglades tomatoes, something you have plenty of maters \o/

Devv said:
Red Bhut's are podding...way cool!
Thanks, yea I’m excited only a few on the bush all green still but as they say in JA “soon come mon,” lolz. Now I’m only waiting on the Trinidad Scorpion to pod up and the MoA pods to ripen, dam I can wait …

stickman said:
Nice looking shaker of salt Ramon... now you've gotta keep a straight face when someone asks you to "pass the salt"... ;) Holy Cow! Bhut pods too! You're rockin' !
hehe, thanks Rick boy this stuff is good on just about anything but you gotta try some on fish. Last time I did I was shocked how good it was and it didn’t even have salt ground into it, now to catch some fish …

STEVE954 said:
Hey bredren, congrats on all your success this year! big ups from across the New River!
WB Steve thanks brethren, so did you finally get the PC running good again? Hope da family & plants are kicking azz!

WalkGood said:
Here’s the infused salt shots I promised Al, sorry about the first one being out of focus but mama made up for it with the second picture ^_^ I made this batch 60/40 powder to salt, I was going to mix it even higher ratio but after tasting it I realized that it would have been too hot for mama and I can always add in extra powder or fresh peppers to my dish
Thanks for looking ^_^
Clear as water (your instructions) !

TX Al

Al-from-Chile said:
Clear as water (your instructions) !

TX Al
Thanks Al, I have dried peppers in the sun and smoker before if you don’t have the dehydrator it can still be done. All you need is the grinder and they’re cheap here. Hope you have a great Friday and weekend brethren!

koskorgul said:
+1 Agreed.
Not sure if I will have the time but might be making some this weeknd. Have to get a swingset and set it up before I do anything with peppers.
That’s a no brainer, get the swings going mon … I love a good swing :) If you don’t have them dried out, you could start that process first and while they’re drying you could do the swing. Good luck with it all Rob and don’t forget to take pics of you on your new swing \o/

Here’s the red Bhut Jolokia, she stands about 28 inches tall, has a few pods and a bunch of flowers. Her shoe is a 15gal nursery pot. Seeds from Greg (PIC1)
kqck3.jpg

2ldc5cg.jpg

33xx1l3.jpg

Have a great day & weekend … as always, thank you for looking ^_^

Yeah gotta get the swing set up and going for my little girl. We had one of those plastic jungle gym type deals. Bought it for 40 used last year and she never really used it so we sold it for 100 last week. The people came and gave us the money for it and said they would be back on the weekend to get it. Wouldnt ya know it, she fell in love with it before they came and got it. Would keep saying "play slide" broke our hearts to see it go but had to do it. We had already planned on getting a slide/swing set for her but had to have the gym thing gone first. It has been a crappy week so far this week so she hasnt missed it much. Will probably do as you said and start the smoker, get some pods going that I have from last year from JAG and then start the swing project. Looks like fathers day will be a work in the garden day and play on the swing set with my daughter.

Plants look good mon, cant wait for mine to start getting that size and produce some nice pods.

romy6 said:
Your bhut be looking good Ray Ray. They look :hot:
Thank you Sir James, can't wait to sink my teeth into one ^_^ … I had forgot to mention seed from Greg (PIC1), have edited the post above to reflect dat.

koskorgul said:
Yeah gotta get the swing set up and going for my little girl. We had one of those plastic jungle gym type deals. Bought it for 40 used last year and she never really used it so we sold it for 100 last week. The people came and gave us the money for it and said they would be back on the weekend to get it. Wouldnt ya know it, she fell in love with it before they came and got it. Would keep saying "play slide" broke our hearts to see it go but had to do it. We had already planned on getting a slide/swing set for her but had to have the gym thing gone first. It has been a crappy week so far this week so she hasnt missed it much. Will probably do as you said and start the smoker, get some pods going that I have from last year from JAG and then start the swing project. Looks like fathers day will be a work in the garden day and play on the swing set with my daughter.

Plants look good mon, cant wait for mine to start getting that size and produce some nice pods.
Thanks Rob, good luck on swing assembly ... those things have their way of taking much longer than they claim in the instructions. Yea the smoked ones are awesome, try to keep the heat on the lower end VS higher, what wood you going to use? If you're looking for a suggestion I'd say Pecan, it's sweet, spicy and more assertive than oak. BTW Oak is mild & nutty, goes great with beef and pork but I like it too on peppers. Have fun with it mon!

Chocolate Scorpion standing 30 inches tall in her 15 gallon nursery pot, seeds from Greg (PIC1).
2uf8rk4.jpg

All the recent pods are getting closer to the scorpion shape.
1gg944.jpg

She’s extremely bushy and prolific, hard to see how many little pods she has in development but from what I see she’s going to product a boat load \o/
2z7fqlt.jpg

m8mp0k.jpg

As always, thanks for reading, looking & comments ... have a great Friday all & super weekend \o/

WalkGood said:
Thanks Rob, good luck on swing assembly ... those things have their way of taking much longer than they claim in the instructions. Yea the smoked ones are awesome, try to keep the heat on the lower end VS higher, what wood you going to use? If you're looking for a suggestion I'd say Pecan, it's sweet, spicy and more assertive than oak. BTW Oak is mild & nutty, goes great with beef and pork but I like it too on peppers. Have fun with it mon!

I have some hickory at the house now that I use when grilling. Not sure where i can find pecan wood at. Have to look around a Home Depot, walmart and KmartThanks for the tip

Did a quick serach at Home Depot and they have diff kinds from apple and pecan to hickory. 6.99 for a 5 lb bag. Will be getting some this weekend

Devv said:
Choc Scorp looks super healthy!
Thanks Scott, yea she is one of the healthiest compared to all the rest. It’s not that she is healthier but rather very bushy (loads of leaves), very thick in center and disease free as far as I’ve noticed, even when the Trinidad Scorpion next to her had mites, she never got them. Looking at the Red Bhut for appearance alone the Bhut looks wimpish in comparison, but I still love the Bhut look.

koskorgul said:
I have some hickory at the house now that I use when grilling. Not sure where i can find pecan wood at. Have to look around a Home Depot, walmart and KmartThanks for the tip

Did a quick serach at Home Depot and they have diff kinds from apple and pecan to hickory. 6.99 for a 5 lb bag. Will be getting some this weekend
Since there will most likely be a very long dry time for the peppers in the smoker, hickory can be too strong. Don’t get me wrong, I love hickory too but for shorter cook times or use very little of it. Some people like to mix woods, for example two parts oak to one part hickory or other wood. If you can get the pecan like you said you can't go wrong. I’d use that and keep the heat very low, longer time to dry out but better than too high and have them blacken.

Here’s the Chocolate Habanero from Chris (thegreenman)

[SIZE=12pt]
2lidbwi.jpg
[/SIZE]

30i8dmq.jpg

30ws1ac.jpg

Thanks for looking ^_^

Thanks again for the heads up. Going to pick up a few diff. "flavors" this weekend. Try differant combinations to find the one I like. Most likely get a bag each of the Apple and Pican. Will have to see what others they have other than the traditional, hickory, Mesquite, etc...

When you say low heat, like what temp? 200 ? For about how long?

RocketMan said:
Now you need to make some of dat salt with some smoked pods. Best stuff ever for the Brethern!!
You are so right brother Bill :)

koskorgul said:
… When you say low heat, like what temp? 200 ? For about how long?
If you can get it and keep it between 100 to 120 degrees that’s always worked great for me.

So I take it you have an electric smoker if you can keep the temps that low?

Dang Ramon, having Fla. weather here the last 2 days, raining, humid, been in the garden most of the day trying to clean it up. I'm a muddy mess LOL....so I'm callin it!

Shiner time!

Devv said:
No it’s a coal burning one but it just takes a little work keeping an eye every now and then on the temp gauge. I use very little coals, add as needed before it goes out, use a water pan keeping it full and also use venting. It may go above that range once in a while but it’s not hard getting it back quickly. That said, dry times take fore ever, estimated 15 to 18 hours unless I cut the peppers up thin and that’s extra work so I like in half better with the open end pointing up.

Devv said:
Dang Ramon, having Fla. weather here the last 2 days, raining, humid, been in the garden most of the day trying to clean it up. I'm a muddy mess LOL....so I'm callin it!

Shiner time!
I don’t blame you, if I’m not in baggies and have the pool to cool off, I become a puddle of sweat, lol.

Thought I had some “before pictures” but aside from this one below the other original pics are after spraying the JA Hab with death by rosemary (from Scott, Devv), regardless she does look better now but still gets some chomped up leaves after sunset
fc2m41.jpg

After pictures:
r2j904.jpg

izt7xv.jpg

2lk9zip.jpg

Conclusion: I like how death by rosemary works (from Scott, Devv) so I am going to start using it on all my plants. I haven’t had enough sun to say you can do it in heat but I would not recommend that. If you ask does it kill mites, from what I’ve seen it does but only further time will tell if there are any ill effects of which I’ve seen none. I'm still sourcing a rosemary bush but I should find one large enough soon, if not it'll take me a year to grow a big enough one from what I've heard. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for looking ^_^

koskorgul said:
Thanks again for the heads up. Going to pick up a few diff. "flavors" this weekend. Try differant combinations to find the one I like. Most likely get a bag each of the Apple and Pican. Will have to see what others they have other than the traditional, hickory, Mesquite, etc...

When you say low heat, like what temp? 200 ? For about how long?

Devv said:

Shiner time!

I have a propane and an electric smoker and while I can get the electric one down into the 100 to 110 range, and it's the one i use now for peppers, i have used the propane one too. You have to get them down as low as you can and really keep an eye on how long you have them in there for. While I can get 4 really good hours of smoke off the electric one, I could get about 2 hours of smoke off the propane one and sometimes up to 3 hours on a cold or rainy day when the smoker would run cooler. 

Also yeah, you need to stay to the less intense smokes. Hickory and Mesquite would be a little too intense alone while mix of say Apple or Cherry and Mesquite or Pecan will give you a really good smoke. I mostly use Apple when I smoke peppers. 

Just my 2 centavo Brethren, have a great weekend :cool:

Well she looks good! I agree limit the sun, I'm sure that applies to any oil based treatment. Thing is most of my grow is a dirt grow...but I have an idea..

Ramon, I smoked the peppers for a short while, like an hour and then threw them in the dehydrator. I used well aged Mesquite which IHMO is rather mild and gives a sweet taste to anything I smoke, but I pulled them as soon as they showed the slightest color...can always add more, can't take it away...hopefully they won't be too strong. If so I'll add more un-smoked product...using an electric smoker.

Back