• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Walt's ferment thread..

I processed my first ferment this week..It is a pineapple and Jays peach ghost scorpions..I didn't keep real good track of anything while I made it so duplication is't gonna happen..I learned and will get better..The sauce is ok..Pineapplely, sweet and hot..A bit on the thin side and needs to be shook before use..PH is 3.2..I have a few extra bottles I'd love to get feed back on it..PM me if interested..
20170904_100000.jpg

I also started another ferment..

Sugar Rush Cream Garlic Mash

475g Sugar Rush Creams
42g Peach Fatilli
108g Carrot
40g  Garlic
42g Pickling Salt
30g Raw Sugar
4.5g Pro Biotic

Blended up in processor..I'll let this go at least a few months..Here it is next to another pineapple JPGS I'll have to get too..
20170904_095934.jpg

That's it for now..Thanks for looking Walt

I still need to process one of my pineapples it has been going almost six months now. I did mix this new one up today. I'll post pics later.

Peach Bourbon Mystery

264g Fresh Peach (1 1/2 peaches)
162g yellow bell (1 pepper0
138g mixed Superhots yellow and orange( End of season mix)
 36g yellow onion
 26g garlic
 28g salt
 2T molasses 
 1t cumin
 1 shot Jim Beam

I'll post pics tonight.

And I do have one question will the alcohol slow or kill my ferment? I hope not, I thought of waiting till the processing and adding it. But thought it would be a more up front flavor if it was in the ferment.But what do I know I'm so new at this.

Walchit said:
Nice! Is cumin good in hot sauce? I'm Leary about using it, i like to put sauce on my pizza and I wouldn't think cumin would be something I liked

I get my inspirations from ingredients I see in sauces I like and spend my cash on. I've been using a sauce called Bootleg 9.9 by Beast Feast Maine. It is banging sort of like bbq sauce for a Chilihead, I love the stuff. The second ingredient after apple cider vinegar is cumin I also like allspice and ginger in a sauce. 

I tasted my mash and it tasted real good. Now the wait.

I've just been blendering fresh peppers, salt and vinegar for my sauce, added pineapple, lime juice and a touch of honey to the last batch. I don't really taste much sweetness or pineapple, but it is really good imo

I think you'll be alright, Walt. I attempted a black cherry, bourbon, Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet sauce over the Summer. Presoaked the Bonnets in bourbon overnight in a bowl and made the mash the next day. Everything fermented just fine. The bourbon flavor COMPLETELY took over the sauce though, lol. A little bit goes a long way.

If I were to attempt it again, I'd probably just add a little bourbon at a time (I'm talking maybe a 1/2 teaspoon at a time!) and keep taste testing during the boiling process (post-fermentation). I'm curious to see how yours turns out

MikeUSMC said:
I think you'll be alright, Walt. I attempted a black cherry, bourbon, Cappuccino Scotch Bonnet sauce over the Summer. Presoaked the Bonnets in bourbon overnight in a bowl and made the mash the next day. Everything fermented just fine. The bourbon flavor COMPLETELY took over the sauce though, lol. A little bit goes a long way.

If I were to attempt it again, I'd probably just add a little bourbon at a time (I'm talking maybe a 1/2 teaspoon at a time!) and keep taste testing during the boiling process (post-fermentation). I'm curious to see how yours turns out

If it turns out good you'll definitely get a bottle Mike.The mash was very well balanced.

Been real busy at work..But have made another ferment up last weekend, it is boiling over even at 67 degrees in here..It looks better then the pic does.It is a sauce made with  7 Pot Burgundy x GGN21500 for the heat..Thanks to D3 for this fantastic cross.   

As always here is the recipe..

156g 7 Pot Burgundy x CGN21500
358g Red Bell Pepper
 96g  Carrot
 64g  Onion
 24g  Garlic
150g  Red Grapes
  34g  Salt
     2t  Cumin 

20171124_150248.jpg

Here are the three I got going, This one, my peach bourbon I promised pics of and the Sugar Rush Cream..

20171124_150135.jpg

Back