• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

want to turn leftover spaghetti noodles into spicy asian stuff

I have leftover spaghetti noodles and a store-bought beef stir fry thing. I want to make the spaghetti into those asian-style noodles and add it to the stir fry. I've got plenty of peppers to add, but what will make the noodles carry the spice and flavor well? Ideas?

Here is a stand-by "leftover" recipe that is simple and always good Thai noodles. Great for leftover noodles, veggies or meat. Add any amount of any peppers you like.

1 package of udon or lo mein noodles (you may substitute spaghetti)
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 cup finely shredded carrot
3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 tablespoon Sriracha
4 tablespoons sesame oil
Add chicken (or any leftover meat), and/or veggies.
Top with Fresh cilantro, Crushed peanuts, Sesame seeds, Green onion, chile flakes etc.

In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the remaining two tablespoons of sesame oil. Add the green onions, carrots, stir-fry veggies, garlic and ginger. Cook the vegetables for about five minutes or until soft.
In a bowl combine honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and chopped hot chiles and mix well.
Add the noodles into the pot with the cooked vegetables. Add the peanut sauce to the pot and toss well. Cook for an additional five minutes or until everything has heated through.

Rock on~

ty but I've tried many times to eat fish. I fail every time due to its ass-like flavor imo. I mean ingredients I can grab out of my fridge like butter, garlic etc. What's in fish sauce besides fish? lol

Scoville DeVille said:
Here is a stand-by "leftover" recipe that is simple and always good Thai noodles. Great for leftover noodles, veggies or meat. Add any amount of any peppers you like.

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon Sriracha
4 tablespoons sesame oil
Top with Fresh cilantro, Crushed peanuts, Sesame seeds, Green onion, chile flakes etc.

In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the remaining two tablespoons of sesame oil. Add the green onions, carrots, stir-fry veggies, garlic and ginger. Cook the vegetables for about five minutes or until soft.
In a bowl combine honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and chopped hot chiles and mix well.
Add the noodles into the pot with the cooked vegetables. Add the peanut sauce to the pot and toss well. Cook for an additional five minutes or until everything has heated through.

Rock on~
Freakin' awesome. Thanks SD!

impending_bending said:
ty but I've tried many times to eat fish. I fail every time due to its ass-like flavor imo. I mean ingredients I can grab out of my fridge like butter, garlic etc. What's in fish sauce besides fish? lol

Freakin' awesome. Thanks SD!
Sea salt :)

LOL.

Here is a recipe from the net...

Here's how you also can make a fermented fish sauce. I don't have an exact recipe, only an imprecise set of instructions, because you can make this recipe differently depending on the ingredients you have available, and I'm sure it'll all come out great. I used fresh sardines for mine, because sardines are one of the cheapest fish available in my area, but you can use any type of fish. You can use regular, standard fish with vertebrae (anchovies are one of the typical fish used in making fish sauce), or shellfish, or even octopus. It doesn't matter, so long as its fish.

Ingredients:
Raw fish
Water
Salt

Instructions:
1. Take your fish and chop it up, bones, head, scales, flesh and all. The smaller the pieces, the better.

2. Mix with a lot of salt. I can't tell you an exact amount as I didn't measure, but you want it salty enough to kill any bad bacteria (this is raw sardines we're talking about) and prevent mold growth. I also know that if this is supposed to be a soy sauce replacement, it would need to be quite salty, so I was very generous with the salt.

3. Add some water. Not a ton, but since you want it to ferment and the fish may not have so much liquid, its a good idea to put some water in to fill in the spaces between the fish parts.

4. Put your mixture in a glass jar. Cover it. This probably would have fermented best covered with a cheesecloth, but as I was fermenting it in my kitchen, I had no interest in having the constant fishy smell, so I just kept the cover of the jar sealed tightly and would open it once every day or two to allow the mixture to "breathe".

5. Leave your fermented fishy stuff on the counter, on your shelf, in your pantry for a while. Give it a shake every few days. I've read to leave it as long as a year, but after 3 weeks I got too impatient and started using it and it was fine. Then again, I've never tasted store bought fish sauce, so I don't have what to compare, but it worked out well in the recipes calling for fish sauce so I assume it tastes as it should.

:rofl: Sounds delicious? :rofl:

Smells like ass, but add the right amount to your dish and you will get closer to those asian style dishes that you seek.  :)

If you want to noodles to "carry" the flavors well then do what the Italians would.  Don't cook the spaghetti all the way.  Stop when al dente and finish it in your sauce.  That way the spaghetti finishes cooking in the sauce and absorbs the flavors better.

I always liked buying the bottle of peanut sauce in the store and using it like pasta sauce.  A homemade peanut sauce is pretty easy too, although I have not made one.

When I cook my thai rice noodles, I soak them in cold water for an 45 min-hour. They are close to al dente at that point.
Then when the rest of the wok ingredients are 90-95% done, put the noodles(no water) in and adjust seasoning -soy sauce, FISH SAUCE, heat as needed in the finally stirrings. 

impending_bending said:
lmao seriously? fish + sea salt? fish 'sauce' my ass thats just a fancy word for mechanically separated fish!

I was watching some show on either discover or food network, and they were in a little thai fishing village, where there was just this one old lady who was responsible for making fish sauce, which would be sold and funds distributed among the fishing families, presumably.  Anyway, the way she was making it was just cleaning the fish (pretty indiscriminate as far as the type) and putting one slice through the collective guts of each fish and stuffing the guts in the bottle.  The bottle may have had salt already in it, but they did not go into it in much detail.  She capped the bottle right then and it would sit and await anaerobic liquefaction and be sold.

Scoville DeVille said:

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon Sriracha
4 tablespoons sesame oil

Rock on~

What is this chili-garlic sauce?  I don't see it in the list of ingredients.  Would it be the Sriracha?

Simple Asian stir fry:

As much of what ever veggies, cut in small pieces and sauteed in oil for 5 min.

Add a little grated ginger and as much garlic as you like.

Add meat of choice (I use thinly sliced chicken).

Once the meat is cooked you create the sauce. A couple TBSP of
DE575245-2T.jpg

a couple good squirts of this
DE575246-2T.jpg

and a few good squirts of a soy sauce and some fish sauce if you like that stuff.

Mix together with the noodles you want (I use rice or rice noodles). and devour.

Not really authentic, but it is pretty easy and tastes good.

Roguejim said:

What is this chili-garlic sauce?  I don't see it in the list of ingredients.  Would it be the Sriracha?

This--->
DE575245-2T.jpg

Yes! thanks Jeff! They are usually used together in dishes like this, in our house.

:facepalm:

Just dump all that crap in there! :rofl:

Back