• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Wanted; Jalapeño cornbread recipe

Anybody out there got a good cornbread recipe? My Jalapenos are ripening and I'd like a nice cornbread to put them in with some chili con carne. Cheers.

This recipe uses a mini-loaf pan, which has 6 mini-loaf wells. However, I make muffins out of the mix, and watch the time until they brown. I'll give you the basic recipe first, then tell you what I usually do differently.

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 (11 oz.) can Mexican-style corn, well drained
1 (4oz) can green chiles
2 teaspoons chopped jalapenos

Heat oven to 400F, spray loaf pan with non-stick oil, or grease well. In medium bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg, beat just until smooth. Fold in corn, chiles, and jalapeno, then pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes or until brown. Cool 5 minutes then remove from pan.

Who is kidding whom? 2 teaspoons of jalapenos and a small can of green chiles???? Bwahahahahaha!

Line your muffin tin with liners. Substitute a small can (about 8 oz.) of cream-style corn for the mexican-style corn. (You'll be adding more liquid, so you won't use quite as much.) Add a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Pull out your jalapenos and start choppin' - add as much as you wish. Crumble up some fried bacon into the mix, as well. Mmmm!

Make a popper pie; cornbread as usual in the cast iron, drop jalapeno poppers in. When you cut into slices you get cheesy popper cornbread!

Wow THP, now that's a new twist, you should do that an post to the popper forum. Also finely chopped green onions with those Japs is good in cornbread. Use that in my hush puppies too.

I suggested it once and I think AJ made it. Never made it myself lol.

Geeme's recipe is a good one....but I'd substitute creamed-style corn instead of the Mexican-style and toss in 3 or 4 seeded and minced jalapenos.

---BONUS if you roast and peel them first!! :dance:

Edit: Oh yeah....and make sure to use WHOLE MILK!!

Geeme's recipe is a good one....but I'd substitute creamed-style corn instead of the Mexican-style and toss in 3 or 4 seeded and minced jalapenos.

---BONUS if you roast and peel them first!! :dance:

Edit: Oh yeah....and make sure to use WHOLE MILK!!

hahaha - you missed my substitution below the original recipe!

This recipe uses a mini-loaf pan, which has 6 mini-loaf wells. However, I make muffins out of the mix, and watch the time until they brown. I'll give you the basic recipe first, then tell you what I usually do differently.

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 (11 oz.) can Mexican-style corn, well drained
1 (4oz) can green chiles
2 teaspoons chopped jalapenos

Heat oven to 400F, spray loaf pan with non-stick oil, or grease well. In medium bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg, beat just until smooth. Fold in corn, chiles, and jalapeno, then pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes or until brown. Cool 5 minutes then remove from pan.

Who is kidding whom? 2 teaspoons of jalapenos and a small can of green chiles???? Bwahahahahaha!

Line your muffin tin with liners. Substitute a small can (about 8 oz.) of cream-style corn for the mexican-style corn. (You'll be adding more liquid, so you won't use quite as much.) Add a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Pull out your jalapenos and start choppin' - add as much as you wish. Crumble up some fried bacon into the mix, as well. Mmmm!

2 teaspoons Jalapenos :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now that is funny!

Great recipe especially your mods; thanks. Cheers.

This is a good starter recipe that yields moist, soft muffins. There are 1,000 ways to make cornbread, some denser and crumblier, for example. If you'd like a couple more, let me know and I'll pull out my books when I get back home, then post a few.

This is a good starter recipe that yields moist, soft muffins. There are 1,000 ways to make cornbread, some denser and crumblier, for example. If you'd like a couple more, let me know and I'll pull out my books when I get back home, then post a few.

Thanks for that; I'll let you know.
Arghh! My cornmeal didn't arrive today as expected. I'm ready to go, but I need cornmeal... :banghead: :mad:
Hopefully tomnorrow :pray:
Cheers.

Here's my mix for spicy cornbread. No flour, sugar or sweet milk in this stuff.

2 cups self rising corn meal (I prefer Martha White and white not yellow)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tblsp naga powder (add more or less of any chile powder on hand to suit taste)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
2 eggs (beat lightly)
3 tblsps bacon drippings
2/3 cup cracklings (made from uncured fat, not rinds or salt pork. Crumbled bacon can be used but it ain't the same.)
1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 cup chopped jalapenos
1 cup creamed corn

Place 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings into a 10"+ cast iron skillet and put it in the oven set to preheat @ 450 degrees while prepping the other ingredients.

Add cornmeal to a bowl, mix in the salt, pepper powder and baking soda then add and mix all other ingredients

Remove the hot skillet from the oven and if needed, tilt to completly coat the bottom with the drippings

Pour the batter into the skillet, place in the oven, and cook until golden brown (usually 25-30 minutes)

Invert on a plate and let it sit 15 minutes or so before slicing.

Note: Depending on the cornmeal you use you may need to add more buttermilk. When the consistency is right it should be thick but easily pour from your mixing bowl with a little help from a spatula. These measurements are approximations as I rarely measure anything when cooking.

Awesome recipe SS; but here in Thailand ingredients, like you listed, just aren't available. Sorry. I've got yellow cornmeal, milk, eggs, baking soda/powder, yeast, but no buttermilk, cracklings, white self rising corn meal, or pepper jack cheese. Cheers.

OH - One other thing - I typically eliminate the small can of green chiles in favor of adding a significant quantity of fresh peppers.

Thanks for all of your help. Here's the recipe I used;

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix copycat Recipe

TIME/SERVINGS
Total: 25 minutes
Active: 5 minutes
Makes: 6 muffins or 1 8.5oz box of muffin mix
By Antilope
When a recipe calls for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, here’s a clone recipe you can make at home.
This recipe is equal to one 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
Makes 8.5 ounces (equal to 1-box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix) Makes 1-1/2 cups of mix Makes 6 corn muffins.
I doubled the recipe;
INGREDIENTS
• 2/3c - X2 = 1-1/3 cup all purpose flour
• 1/2c - X2 = 1 cup yellow corn meal
• 3tbsp - X2 = 6 Tbsp granulated sugar
• 1tbsp - X2 = 2 Tbsp baking powder
• 1/4tbsp - X2 = 1/2 tsp salt
• 2tbsp - X2 = 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 1egg - X2 = 2 egg
• 1/3c - X2 = 2/3 cup milk
• 10-12 Jalapeno pods sliced about 2mm thick/thin
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with whisk.
Whisk in vegetable oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone.
2. If another recipe is calling for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, add the above mixed ingredients to that recipe.
3. If you wish to make Corn Muffins, continue with instructions below.
4. Preheat oven to 375F (180c).Combine above mixture with egg and milk. Mix well.
5. I used a 4-1/2”w (11cm) x 10”l (26cm) x 2-3/4” dp. (7cm) pan and it was perfect.
Fill muffin tins 1/2 full.
Bake 20-30 minutes (when a toothpick come out clean)
Makes 12 muffins or one loaf as specified.

CornbreadIngredients.jpg

I only had 5 Jalapenos :(
CornbreadLoaf.jpg

CornbreadCross-section.jpg

I suggested it once and I think AJ made it. Never made it myself lol.

I did try it and liked it a lot...something about a bacon wrapped cheese filled jalapeno in cornbread that just compliment each other...

, but no buttermilk,

WHAT!!!!...No Buttermilk...I would go nutz...

Cornbread is special to me...I remember my grandfather eating cornbread and buttermilk...very dear memories...

But...what we made in south Mississippi was plain ol' cornbread using Aunt Jemima White Cornmeal Mix...using the recipe on the back of the package but with buttermilk rather than white milk...this is still the way I make mine today...and I only use a large preheated cast iron skillet to make it in...if I make a double batch, I have a cast iron corn stick tray ( http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Cast-Iron-7-Stick-Cornstick/dp/B00004S9I6 - may not be a lodge) and a cornbread wedge pan ( http://www.outdoorcooking.com/cast-iron-corn-bread-slice-pan.html )

I love the crust so my cornbread is at most 5/8" thick...

We return you to your regular scheduled program....

+1

Cornbread w/o cast iron and buttermilk ain't real cornbread. :)

Luv my stick pans, have three of them, and a wedge pan as well, but it rarely gets used. The thickness of the bread makes it, ya want it thin enough to get a good crisp texture that meets when ya bite into it. Never use crackers with chili either, crisp textured cornbread was made for a good bowl of chili.

Back