• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Warning to all gardeners: Do not kill hornworms!

Or you will go straight to hell!

biblical_hornworm.jpg

I guess sealing them in plastic cups out in the sun to bake rather than squishing them makes me really evil?
Ive "poisoned" a few too from putting them on weeds I previously soaked with ant and spider spray....

I saw this strange hornworm on my tomatoes with perhaps 50 small white aphid type oblong thingies attached to it----i cood not tell if they were parasites , eggs, or perhaps something else...should of taken pictures but didnt!

i do have a small floating island type prison in my pool fo any grasshopper i catch on any of my plants--sorta like alcatraz!

StAugieHotPeppers said:
I saw this strange hornworm on my tomatoes with perhaps 50 small white aphid type oblong thingies attached to it----i cood not tell if they were parasites , eggs, or perhaps something else...should of taken pictures but didnt!

Yep, those would be parasitic wasp cocoons.

oh please spare me :rolleyes:
these are the same people that when you tell them what you believe get pissed off and call you crazy
we/im not going to hell because some loon says we are and over an insect PLEASE

kill them or they will destroy your garden,oh put them somewhere else like your neighbors garden down the street that's a real; nice thing to do all in the name of sentiment, if your going to spare them at least check to see if they have the telltale white tassels on there back. they are the larvae of the parasitic wasp , put them in a jar with holes big enough for the wasps to leave but not the hornworm, the wasps eventually consume and kill the worm, worm prob solved, if there are no tassels kill them on sight!!

im pleased to say im not the nut anymore LOL (well maybe just a little)
thanks your friend joe

TOAW said:
Do the parasitic wasps go to hell also?
no they have wings so in my book there angels!! LOL

well i guess that worm lived cuz i removed all the parasitic wasp cocoons--will they still hatch???? it left alot of black spots on the worm where they had been attached.

StAugieHotPeppers said:
well i guess that worm lived cuz i removed all the parasitic wasp cocoons--will they still hatch???? it left alot of black spots on the worm where they had been attached.
prolly not they need the worm for food

Back