• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Wasabi in flower

I'm pretty sure Horizon Herbs had wasabi seeds and plants this year (only they don't do international shipments I believe)... this was their first year doing it; 8 dollars for a packet of 10 seeds and 9 dollars per plant (starter size, I'm assuming). I've bought other things from them, the quality of seed and plants are generally excellent, and they have an absolutely fantastic selection of unusual and rare herbs and edibles. Check back in the spring and they might have them again...

Happy hunting.

EDIT: And don't just take my word for it: Dave's Garden reviews

Wow! I visited a wasabi farm in Japan, and they had a whole gravel riverbed re-channeled to provide the plants with continuous clear running water. I figured this was not something that could be grown at home.

What kind of soil and watering arrangement do you have?

I have mine in raised pots filled with a pretty neutral mix. I add a tiny bit of of poultry manure. They love winter here, but in summer I am constantly watering them!

Here's a place in Aus that sells 'em sometimes! http://www.fourseasonsherbs.com.au

I have mine in raised pots filled with a pretty neutral mix. I add a tiny bit of of poultry manure. They love winter here, but in summer I am constantly watering them!

Here's a place in Aus that sells 'em sometimes! http://www.fourseasonsherbs.com.au

I can get a root every once in a while here, but they're pricey. I'd hate to see the thing rot in the soil when I could have had a few nice plates of soba.

oh yeah. here are a couple of pics of what I was talking about. seeing this was what made me think it couldn't be done at home. But alas, I was wrong! Thanks for enlightening me.
img_0029.jpg
img_0030.jpg

oh yeah. here are a couple of pics of what I was talking about. seeing this was what made me think it couldn't be done at home. But alas, I was wrong! Thanks for enlightening me.
img_0029.jpg
img_0030.jpg

Yeah, I wish! I dare say there is potential for problems, but we shall see.
I have some offshoots coming off now so maybe I'll try and think up some zany inventions.

Ok so how did this story end? I live on a spring fed lake and figured i could grow some under the cypress on the shore...

Sounds good. We have a water race that I was thinking of putting some in.
I haven't yet harvested mine, but they're still doing well. I've had to move them to bigger pots though.
I managed to get a few seeds to germinate too, but lost them whilst on holiday.

Wasabi plants

Wasabi seeds

It's probably late to think about trying seeds, and the plants are expensive... and probably starter size. They start shipping plants April 1st. You might be able to find some elsewhere, but I've done business with these guys before and I love them.

I am ordering some seeds today....I think...lol. I know somewhere I can get fresh wasabi root. It is 100lb. so they said a piece about an inch long for 5.00 bucks. If I went and bought this 1 inch piece, could I stick it in some rooting solution and start a grow? (I apologize for my ignorance in advance) If not I am going to grab some seeds from your suggested site Sync. Bye the way nice to see another Illinois boy :)

this is an awesome grow you have here by the way. Raelacea :) Isn't that payote button illegal??? lol. Brings me back.

Nice... it's definitely something I'd like to try eventually on a small scale.

I am ordering some seeds today....I think...lol. I know somewhere I can get fresh wasabi root. It is 100lb. so they said a piece about an inch long for 5.00 bucks. If I went and bought this 1 inch piece, could I stick it in some rooting solution and start a grow? (I apologize for my ignorance in advance) If not I am going to grab some seeds from your suggested site Sync. Bye the way nice to see another Illinois boy :)

Illinois for the time being anyway, I'll be moving sometime this year and I don't know if I'll be staying in the state or not. We'll see. I'll go wherever I can get a job... :banghead:

I don't know if you can grow from a section of root, but good luck with the seeds. I really like Horizon Herbs, they're upfront about poor germination rates and try to give advice on germination methods for each plant they stock. They're good people.

I just received and sowed wasabi seeds today from Horizon Herbs. Figured better to bump this thread than to start a new one. Are there any updates from the experienced growers?

Hey guys, good timing seeing as I haven't been around for ages.

I harvested one of mine the other week as it was starting to look a little unhappy, it wasn't very large for the time it was in the ground. Though, it wasn't exactly in ideal conditions as said. I did manage to salvage a few of its off-shoots and they are starting to grow.

I had harvested some seeds in the past and they germinated after an overnight soak in diluted vinegar.
In pots however, one killer day whilst I was out was enough to totally wreck them all, even in a covered area. We're talking 40 celsius though. Could be done pretty easily if you set up properly, I just wanted to see if I could germ them at all... so tiny.. ha.

EDIT: I still think a flood/drain type setup is really the only way to go if you want anything worth the effort, i just haven't had the time or the inspiration to do so.

I still think a flood/drain type setup is really the only way to go if you want anything worth the effort, i just haven't had the time or the inspiration to do so.

I'm setting up a new aquaponics growbed with wasabi in mind. My thought was to have continuous flood with the water flowing in channels from one end of a long bed to the other--to simulate the flowing water conditions of a gravel river bed. plants would be in a raised mound between two channels.

Then again, if my seeds don't germinate, I might just have a watercress planter.

Georgeous plants!
Gave my Peyote to a friend. It did well for years, then he killed it off. Man was I upset. He left it out in the snow. :cry:

Back