• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Watering Downunder!

I have a few questions about watering from the bottom.:oops: Right after the first pot up to a 4" from the seedlings size i am worried about under or overwater from the bottom. I just wanted to get some info on whether people do watering from the bottom at this stage and if it is easy to over water my new babies.

I can depend a lot on the mix you are using. If you've got something light you can water every day without worry. I make sure that they don't sit in water longer than 15 minutes. Get to know the weight of a dry pot (0%) and a fully saturated one (100%) and adjust your technique so that the pots are watered when they are around 25% and water high/deep/long enough so they come out around 75%. Again, if your mix is very heavy you might need to be more careful.

The roots will seach out the water. Also, when you water from the bottom, it wicks up to the top. If you leave the pots in there long enough the top will be wet as well even in about a n in of water, but I take them out before then. Like Zander said, about 75% is better. It takes some practice to get it down though.

I bottom water all the babies, but when they are bigger, I top water the fertilizer, and bottom water inbetween feedings. I have a large rectangular 41 qt rubbermaid tote that is only about 4or 5 inches deep. It is perfect to fill half way with water and set a tray of plants in. I check the weight every 5 minutes or so until they feel heavy then take them out.

jacob

Thought this was about the rains in Perth...

ch019.gif

Back