water Watering question

I have been watering my chillies most days and they are doing better than I expected in the window of the flat. I'm going away tomorrow and I won't be back until Sunday (late probably) what's the best (and cheapest :) ) way of keeping them alive?

Should I water them as normal and hope to recover them when I return?

Should I overwater them and let them sort themselves out?

Would watering some tissue or similar and placing that on the soil help?

All suggestions appreciated, especially from those familiar with growing indoor in the UK.

Unfortunately not, the folk we usually rely on for things like that are away as well :( very selfish of them! :P

I think I'll give them a lot of water and my girlfriends mum reckons putting cling film over the soil should cut down on evaporation, she grows lots of plants and runs a walled garden at work but chillies are a plant she doesn't grow. I hope they survive!

May be you have some neighbours who can do that for you. Otherwise you could put small buckets with really small holes on your your pods (one VERY small hole per bucket). Then the water will be dripping very slow through the holes all over the time. Not the best, but should be better than no water (or too much..).

How large are the plants and their containers?

You'll only be gone 3 days so watering well before you leave will probably be just fine.

I don't have 27 small buckets I'm afraid, I think I'm worrying a bit too much about it, it's not ideal but they'll get watered tomorrow morning (Thursday) be alone Friday and Saturday and then I'm back on Sunday so they're only on their own for 70ish hours depending on when we get back on Sunday.

Silver_Surfer said:
How large are the plants and their containers?

You'll only be gone 3 days so watering well before you leave will probably be just fine.

3746000046_498e1ae50d.jpg

That shows the size of the containers, the weather hasn't been very good here and the forecast is for showers so they shouldn't dry out too much, especially if I put cling film over the soil.

The photo is a week old.

Just a shot in the dark, what if you left some water in the trays that way if the soil dries out theoretically it will wick up into the pot. Don't know if it would work but what do you have to lose.

hydrojunkie said:
Just a shot in the dark, what if you left some water in the trays that way if the soil dries out theoretically it will wick up into the pot. Don't know if it would work but what do you have to lose.

That was an option I though of but my girlfriends mother seemed to think that would invite mildew... she is great with growing things in general, as I said it's part of her job to run a big garden but she doesn't grow chillies so I appreciate all your suggestions.

They'll be fine, don't stress about them. If your plant can't live 3 days without water in "sunny" Liverpool then they need to toughen up anyway. If I lived in Liverpool I'd be more worried about them getting stolen than dying. :lol:

Well I returned and the plants ranged from the ok looking to the 'that's dead that is' looking, with some water they now all look like I've never been away. There was one empty pot left up on bricks, I've no idea where the plant is...

Lally said:
Well I returned and the plants ranged from the ok looking to the 'that's dead that is' looking, with some water they now all look like I've never been away. There was one empty pot left up on bricks, I've no idea where the plant is...

I had nothing to do with it I SWEAR! :P

Aji Chombo said:
I had nothing to do with it I SWEAR! :P

I believe you, having seen the pics of your plants there's no need for you to 'outsource' unless you have a secret jalapeño craving and can't admit to liking such a mild chilli!:hell:

During my weekend trip I saw some South Devon Hot Habanero Chilli Sauce for sale in a cider brewery of all places, I couldn't resist. This will be my first taste of Habanero (to my knowledge at least) :onfire:

Some pics of the abandoned plants these were taken about 20mins after watering and were looking better already;

3784723722_65a3023d34.jpg

3783913757_ed56180d0e.jpg

3783914221_f8d9598c08.jpg

3784725038_4040532d37.jpg

These were a few hours after watering, you'd hardly know I'd been away;
3784725900_9d9376e753.jpg

3784726384_7e270dfa55.jpg

3783916385_9f4bb247dc.jpg

3784727310_ebded520c8.jpg

I had hoped there may be some ripe (or turning) cayenne when I got back as I hear stressing the plants can lead to ripening fruit but everything is still green, oh well, patience...

You need to get yourself to Delifonseca in the city centre. They have some really good and spicy sauces, as well as Blairs Death Rain Habanero Crisps! :hell:

Sounds good, I've been past but not in, I think my GF was talking about going there for '00' pasta flour (more pizza :P) so I'll have a look for the hot stuff. I've tried some of the SDCF Hot Habanero and it was very nice. Not as hot as I'd expected and it's not hot for long so perhaps I wouldn't die trying something hotter... I'm still just finding my feet with capsaicin.

Lally said:

:rofl: It'll probably turn up in the Mersey one day.
The plants are pretty resilient, if they can survive the Australian summers I'm sure they can handle anything.

Back