• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Watermelon in Pots?

Thanks 5*. Take it easy on yourself, you don't suck and you did answer my question. Ha!

I did a bunch of googling last night and I'm going to agree with what you said concerning the flowers and the little bud. It is the beginning of a watermelon. I am so stoked over this!!

Thanks for the help.

Update time on the watermelon. As of yesterday I have four small melons coming off of four separate vines--one on each vine.

IMG_5600re.jpg

One of the babies.

IMG_5606.jpg

Another one because I really like looking at them......

IMG_5607.jpg

The first melon I found wasn't growing so I checked it out. Not sure how but the underside had been split open so I'm afraid it's gone. The other three are all growing. Growing watermelon in a pot--too cool. Man I love this growing thing.

Time for a little update. I lost the first little melon. Have two that have grown quite a bit and other small ones popping up. They are about the size of a tennis ball. I am so digging these.

IMG_5703re.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of the largest eggplant we have growing.

IMG_5713re.jpg

Eggplant flowers

IMG_5717re.jpg

Pat, those plants look so good and it gets me all excited about the fact that our spring isn't to far away!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

origamiRN said:
Moyboy, are the Baby Watermelons a hybrid, or a pure strain?
Thanks

Hi origamiRN, To be very honest I don't really know and wouldn't like to make claims either way.

I would think IMO that they would be a hybrid of some kind, but I could be wrong. You may have to research it if you want to know for sure..

Those are looking great.

I read somewhere and I don't know if it was BS or not...There was a group growing watermelons in square pots and as the fruit got bigger and bigger, the melon filled up the square pot producing a square watermelon, thus making cutting easier. Again, I don't know if this was just BS or not.

Yup... It's true....

square-watermelon.jpg

800px-Square_watermelon.jpg

They do it also so they stack easier. Hell, those crazy folks across the pond are even growing them in Pyramid shapes!

watermelon_3.jpg

Patrick, i grew melons last year for the first time and it is addicting. I grew like 7 varieties and had some that were 50 lbs. I got over 60 watermelon. Cantaloupes are great to grow also, i grew some of my vines up a trellis and it worked like a charm. Pm me in the fall if you want some seeds for next year I have around 40 varieties of melon seeds. I'm not sure how they will do in pots because watermelons have very long roots, when I pulled mine out of the ground last fall some were over 2 foot long and that was where it broke off. I have done some research on those melons from Japan and some of the prices would make your head spin.

DCP_3017.jpg

Just had a look, they want $160 for the heart shaped watermelons.

Makes a guy wanna grow some shaped melons, come to think of it i have always had a "thing" for big, beautifully shaped "melons" :P

Oh you guys are just too much.

Thanks for the seed offer piper, hope I remember.

Here's a quick update on things in the watermelon department. Good news and not so good news. One of the melons is really going to town. It's about the size of one of those huge 14 inch softballs. Not so good news is the other melon isn't growing at all. I've side dressed the pot with a 10/10/10 liquid fertilizer and added a pound or two of composted cow manure. That was just a couple of days ago.

IMG_5761re.jpg

The smaller one is about the size of a baseball and hasn't changed much lately.

Patrick, It is probably due to insufficient pollination. If it is not growing cull it so that it does not take away from the other one.

I'd leave the vines patrick. More vines means more little sugar factories (leaves) to pump sweetness and size into the fruits that do continue to grow! As far as the culling of the fruit, the fewer on the plant, the bigger and tastier the melons will be that end up ripening.

Patrick,I do not cut any vines off but I do prune the ones that come through the garden fence into the lawn. Since this is a melon thread I can't resist showing this years melon patch.

Picture051-1.jpg

Back