• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Weak Seedlings?

I have a couple seedlings that are popping up and have like one leaf. Both are from different kinds of chili. They seem to be ok for the most part, a lot of other seedlings in the seed tray are doing incredibly well, while my naga and barrakapore seem to be a little gimpy. Could it be a chinense thing? Not sure what strains they are, just guessing. I havn't poked around looking for other similar types of things here yet but thought I'd throw the question out there, maybe someone else is experiencing the same. I'm thinking maybe it's a weak seedling kind of thing too. Maybe the seed wasn't finished developing when it dried out so the genetics weren't completely saved. Just guessing.

Not sure exactly what is up, but I usually just plant a bunch, let em do their thing and toss any dwarf seedlin's. It pays to be patient sometimes though. I've had a few small ones take off after awhile. Seems like it happens w/ chinense's now and then, but I hardly ever grow any other sorts lately, so really can't compare accurately.

I've got a few annums, pequin I think is. Not sure about the Fresno but I think it is and pretty sure the Tequila Sunrise is an annum. I was guessing that the Barrakapore and Naga were Chinense because they seem to be the only ones not liking the conditions they are in, or they are somehow gimpy seedlings by coincidence.

I tend to have the Darwinian approach most times. Not gonna pluck'm right away but I'd hope that it makes them stronger in the long run if they do decide to jump in the game. Plus I only have so many Barrakapore and naga seeds so I really need that guy to make it. Come on Wilbur! (charlotte's web)

On another note, another naga is about to pop up straight soon, the hook is breaking the soil top. If that guy comes out strong I'm not even gonna sweat the runt.

I had one annuum pop with one leaf. It went on to grow that one seed leaf much larger than its kin and then developed normally.

Yes, those you mentioned are chinense and grow much more slowly than annuums. Give em time and they'll come around.

I think I found the problem. I'm using those peat pellets. On some of them the hole gets pretty deep for the seeds. So in the process of sprouting for some reason the leaves are getting hung up down low. The stem begins to push through without the leaves. I'm not really compacting the top of the pellet very much, but somehow it's too much it seems. I went back and kinda squeezed the scorp pellets that I just planted to make sure it's nice n light on top so they can punch through easily. I gotta keep an eye out now.

I found a sprout this morning that had no leaves at all after seeing it popping up for a day or so. That's what leads me to think the medium is too tight on top somehow.

I had 2 seedlings come up without any cotyledons and 1 come up with only 1. All 3 have started to put on true leaves although they are way behind all the others. Not sure if they are permanently stunted or not and since they are extras, they will be culled when the time comes if I can't find them another home. Of course, if they really start to take off in the 4 weeks before plant out, I might just keep one to see. I do agree that it is probably from compacted medium. I packed down the mix a bit too much on that tray and you can really tell it when you take them out to pot up.

jacob

Diablo, I am using peat pellets also and I always tear the opening plenty so the seedlings have plenty of space to get out. Don't even know why I started it, the holes just looked too small to me. Some brands are worse than others.

@jjs7741 If I had a bunch I'd probably not worry about it too much. But I only have three of the Barrackapore, so I'm stressing it a little bit. I'm gonna let that nub stem go till it dies all the way.

@pepperfever this is the first time I've used the peat pellets. I didn't know if to close the top off or not. Next time I think I'm not closing the top at all.

I had some yellow scorpions I had just put in peat pellets after starting this post. Not long after I went and against all rationale I squeezed the pellets till I saw the top kinda crack open. I'm happy to report I have five scorp hooks beginning to show. Totally stoked. I'm not covering my seeds over anymore in those pellets man. The peat settles too tightly. I have several gimped seedlings. During the hook stage it seems like the leaves get hung up and the seedling gets decapitated. I have like two seedlings completely leaveless. :( Totally stoked about the scorps though.

I've had a couple of seeds come up totally decapitated and I hate that. Poor bastages never had a chance. But, I don't think you can leave the seeds totally exposed either. There has to be a bit of friction for the shell to come off as the seedling is pushing it's way to the top. Other wise you'll end up with seedlings that still have their hat on.

Damn! hmm, I guess it'll just be a keep an eye on them kind of thing. Shit man.

Hehehe, for some reason I'm remembering Lothar of the Hill People, Mike Meyers on Sat Night Live, when he had to have his man sheath removed....

Back