• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Weather from HELL!!

Just looked at a weather forcast for the next week and the prediction is at least four consecutive days of 40C (104F) :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:
What can i do to protect my plants?
I have shade set up for the ground plants and i can move the pots but it's the air temprature that concerns me.
any suggestions on what i could do?
Cheers Kevvy

This may be totally wrong because I have not had to weather(forgive the pun) that many days of the high temp. What I would do is heavy water at the base in the morning to keep them moist and the rising humidity evaporating from the ground I think would be good for them.

Now I step aside to let the true experts chime in. Good luck.

By the time I got up and made it outside this morning it was 45 inside my greenhouse.
All of my plants were wilted, So I bought them inside the house.
No sunlight where they are but I had no idea what else to do.

Kevvy, I just have misters set up with the seedlings under shadecloth for this hot weather. The misters come on for 2 minutes 6 times a day, 7.30 am, 9.30am, 11am, 12.30 pm 2pm, then 4pm.
We are in Gingin and it gets even hotter up here. If it says 40C for Perth it will be 45C+ up here. With misters and shadecloth the little buggers will thrive.

Hittman, I saw the forcast for SA last night and they were predicting 41C for Adelaide, so yes your hothouse would be a bit warm. Just give them water and they will recover, they are tough little buggers. A bit of Seasol in their water helps em recover well too.

just keep them from drying. as long as they are shaded scald shouldn't be a problem. we had the same temps here consistantly this past year. a good crop might be a little delayed but when it does come the pods should be really hot. shade , moisture , proper nutrients and a whole lot of waiting. that pretty much sums up my whole year , but the end result will be good. 105 degrees pretty much puts them in a holding pattern.it'll work out for ya.

Those temperatures can be rally destructive to flowering plants. It's very likely that flowers will drop and not set fruit. Last year we had temps up to 35 degreesC which caused mayor flower drop on my plants.

Good luck

+1 for the misters...it helps keep the air temperature down...

and I'm with lee...too much heat = flower drop...

Although my weather is not as hot as some of you Aussies, I still experience a two month loss of production in July and August...all attributed to the extreme/dry summer heat here in North Texas...the last of June, my plants are producing flowers and pollen and even setting a few pods. The first thing I notice when it gets hotter is the flowers are still producing pollen but no fruit set...that means sterile pollen...then the second thing is no pollen at all...its funny to see the plants full of flowers but not a speck of pollen anywhere...then the third thing is no flowers...

All I have done in the past is to just try and keep the plants healthy and growing...essentially keeping them in the vegetative state until the weather cools and they finally decide to start flowering and producing pollen and setting fruit...it is a double edged sword for me...losing the two months of fruiting in July/August, means the plants grow bigger and produce more fruit late...way late for the superhots...I want continual production from June-November....

this year, I am putting in a shaded area about 16' X 24' (~5 meters by 8 meters) with 30% shade cloth and install a misting system on the frame that holds the shade cloth...this misting system is only for cooling the air temperature...the drip fertigation will still be used for water/nutrients for the plants...if this works, next year I will put in a couple of more shaded areas with misting systems...

probably more information than you wanted, but I had to ramble a bit...

The misters are great. You can grab then at Bunnings and they come with clips to attach. The ones I'm thinking of are made for clipping to a shade cloth or big patio umbrella circumference and attach to your hose tap. Reasonably water efficient and will mist perfectly for what you need. Designed for you and me to sit under in 40+ but hey.....

No need to panic Its been revised down.

WEATHER Bureau forecasters have revised down their predicted four days of 40C temperatures - bringing slight relief to Perth residents fearing the furnace-like heat.
Perth will now only get one 40C day - Sunday - which will be followed by expected maximums in the high 30s.

Despite the changed forecast, Perth will still experience heatwave conditions, with 38C tipped for Monday; 37C Tuesday and 35C on Wednesday, before a cooler, humid change brings an expected 29C maximum on Thursday.

Initially the Bureau had predicted four consecutive days of 40C tops - a torrid spell which was likely to stretch Perth's power and water resources.

The latest heatwave comes after Perth experienced its hottest year on record, with average temperatures of 25.3C, making it the warmest 12 months since records began in 1897.

Meanwhile, Perth recorded just 503mm of rain this year, well below the average 868.3mm, making it the second driest year on record.

Next week's heatwave follows baking temperatures across Southern Australia with blistering New Year’s Eve temperatures forecast for Melbourne and Adelaide as Queensland battles record floods.

Bureau forecaster Tom Coleman said: "It’s standard conditions for this time of year, with a trough and hot, north-easterly winds with a slow-moving high in the Bight,” Mr Coleman said.

“There will be a late afternoon sea breeze, but it won’t do much."

The heatwave - three days above 35C - is here to stay, with another high developing off the coast.

The blast of furnace-like weather comes after Christmas Day hit 39.9C and December 27 peaked at 40C.

The week of extreme heat is likely to put WA's water and energy supplies to the test.

The highest temperatures recorded in WA was a blistering 50.5C in Mardie on February 19 1998.

Forecast for Saturday
Sunny. Moderate to fresh SE winds before a fresh afternoon sea breeze.

Precis: Windy morning. Sunny.
City: Min 19 Max 36
Mandurah: Min 18 Max 33

Five Day Forecast

Sunday Windy morning. Sunny. Min 21 Max 40
Monday Chance of a shower. Min 24 Max 38
Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 23 Max 37
Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 23 Max 35
Thursday Morning cloud. Min 20 Max 29

If I can get the photo right I will take a photo of the temp on my weather station when we get the predicted 40C. Our temp will be above 45C.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

and I'm with lee...too much heat = flower drop...

Although my weather is not as hot as some of you Aussies, I still experience a two month loss of production in July and August...all attributed to the extreme/dry summer heat here in North Texas...the last of June, my plants are producing flowers and pollen and even setting a few pods. The first thing I notice when it gets hotter is the flowers are still producing pollen but no fruit set...that means sterile pollen...then the second thing is no pollen at all...its funny to see the plants full of flowers but not a speck of pollen anywhere...then the third thing is no flowers...

This is exactly what has happened with my Red Hab. First flowers opened xmas day (40C) and since then every flower has dropped and new flowers have very little or no pollen at all.
It's such a relief to know what the problem with the plants is, and it's not me killing them with kindness.
Cheers, Kevvy.

We only got to 43.6 here today but it sure was humid. Bit of rain coming now and 32 degrees tomorrow. Planted a heap of chillies out into the garden today in 40+ degrees and the loved it.

Back