• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Weather in S. California

I haven't posted in a while. Here is an update on my situation here:

Record Cool Weather in California

"The fruits and vegetables, the tomatoes and a lot of the citrus and things like raspberries are not ripening up because it's not getting hot long enough,"

My plants have not grown nearly as fast and big as I was expecting. Last year I was fighting heat, this year I'm fighting cold.

Looking forward to next year...

Rick

Same here in WA. My plants are green. blooming, and small. The pods just won't set, except for the thai and some jalapenos. This time last year they were falling over with the weight of the pods. That is wierd to see SoCal is having trouble growing. Next year will be our year.

I'm not doing too bad, but my Scorpions and Bhuts are very slow going. Very strange to have June gloom all the way in August.

Same weather up here in Norcal. Had a brutal ammount of heat in May early June then strangeley cool. The only plant I have that is doing well is chiletepin that was overwintered. Of the few plants that survived my critter attack none of them are putting out much in the way of pods. I am normally snowed under with Kung Pao, Punjabs, Thai Dragons and Cayennes at this time of year. The only peppers I have that have turned red have been the deArbols.
Fortunately we have plenty of growing season left.

I'm pretty upset this year as well due to the record cold and to make matters worse I'm not too far from the beach and surrounded by trees. As a result I get very little direct sun throughout the day on most of my plants. I got a late start and had a problem with aphids (again) while on vacation and now my peppers are just not getting ripe. I figured I would have tons of peppers by now and have yet to pick anything from my new seeds and only a small amount from my overwintered ones. I'm actually thinking about moving several plants up on the roof large flat condo complex to see if they will do any better. The plants in 5 gallon pots only get watered ever other week it's been so cold. So much for "Global Warming"!!

You guys need to move out to the Midwest. Temps have been hanging in the upper 90's with humidity levels causing the heat index to climb near 120. It is without a doubt some of the most miserable weather I've known in almost 50 years.

You would think it would be great for the peppers but the lows are staying in the 80's and that's causing a lot of flower drop. I've got a couple of plants that have had one pepper and that's it.

Back