• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Weekend Smoke

As i mentioned in Juanitos first smoke thread, i also did a smoke this weekend. I knew it was going to be the last one before winter and the weather was cool and windy.  I had a hard time keeping my temperatures up with the cooler temps, but i was able to for the most part.  The pictures aren't good and i almost forgot to take any, but the food itself turned out real good.  I smoked about a 7 1/2 pound butt (first time i have smoked a butt) and a couple of slabs of ribs. PIcs below.

20141206_194046_zps3db99104.jpg

20141206_194742_zps9d9ed643.jpg

20141206_194727_zpsbfc59580.jpg

20141206_181007_zpsd0dc8f21.jpg

AldenMiller said:
Looks good!

No smoking for me this past weekend.  First one in a while that I didn't use the smoker.  Next weekend, eight racks of ribs for my coworkers.

-Alden
I wasn't able to do as much smoking this summer as i wanted so that is why i made sure to get one in before it got any colder. Stupid winter :)

WOW looks fantastic!!!!!!!! Great job !! What was your internal temp, wood used and smoking temp first butt you look like a seasoned pro out there!! Those ribs look mighty tasty.
CHEERS

pepperguy1 said:
That stuff looks good and it is making me hungry .I love BBQ.
Thanks i was really happy with the taste. How can someone not like bbq  :party:

oldsalty said:
WOW looks fantastic!!!!!!!! Great job !! What was your internal temp, wood used and smoking temp first butt you look like a seasoned pro out there!! Those ribs look mighty tasty.
CHEERS

Appreciate it salty, i brought the butt up to 200, used apple wood. For smoking temp i tried to hover between 220 and 240.  A couple of times i went below and once or twice went above, but not for too long on either.

Ribs look good!

Bark on the shoulder (looks like a picnic?) looks like it burned to a crisp. Get your rub mixture down with the right salt/sugar. Was the top of your smoker really hot? I haven't seen bark like that from low n slow.

Good job for first!

The Hot Pepper said:
Ribs look good!

Bark on the shoulder (looks like a picnic?) looks like it burned to a crisp. Get your rub mixture down with the right salt/sugar. Was the top of your smoker really hot? I haven't seen bark like that from low n slow.

Good job for first!
THP, I do not think it was a picnic, at least the package did not say it was.  It may be the bad picture, because it wasn't burned at all, no burnt flavor.  In fact i pulled a few pieces of the bark off to try and it had a wonderful flavor. it did not get above the 250 but a couple of times and I immediately brought it back down, i had a harder time keeping the temperature up due to the cooler weather, it was in the 40's that day.

Yeah prob the pic!

It's weird it just looks like one solid piece you could lift off like a crispy chip. Sometimes pics do that.

Cool man!

I hear what you're sayin Boss, but I'd still knock the snot out of it at the table!

Nice job Parker!

And Winter doesn't mean the end of BBQ. I've heard about using a welder's blanket to retain heat and brake wind. I might have to try it this year myself!

Yeah pics of bark tend to look dark sometimes you need more lighting!! Figured it was fine it's like looking in an oven window things look darker than they are :) temps look good I like to do butts 225 put 10 deg either way won't hurt if there just bumps in heat. Colder ambient temps don't help either haha been there used to live in RI and MA tough cooks in the snow but fun!! Lol how long you been smoking!

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah prob the pic!

It's weird it just looks like one solid piece you could lift off like a crispy chip. Sometimes pics do that.

Cool man!
After you said that i looked at the pic again and you are right it does look like that, fortunately for me and my wife it wasn't burned.

DownRiver said:
I hear what you're sayin Boss, but I'd still knock the snot out of it at the table!

Nice job Parker!

And Winter doesn't mean the end of BBQ. I've heard about using a welder's blanket to retain heat and brake wind. I might have to try it this year myself!
 Now that is interesting, never heard of it but it does sound like something to look into.
oldsalty said:
Yeah pics of bark tend to look dark sometimes you need more lighting!! Figured it was fine it's like looking in an oven window things look darker than they are :) temps look good I like to do butts 225 put 10 deg either way won't hurt if there just bumps in heat. Colder ambient temps don't help either haha been there used to live in RI and MA tough cooks in the snow but fun!! Lol how long you been smoking!
its funny you say that about the lighting, i just replaced the light above my stove and for some reason it has about half the light of the old one we had on there so there is terrible lighting in there right now. i tried to keep it around 230, but with my smoker it can really fluctuate sometimes.  I started smoking ribs and wings a couple of years ago and did some chicken as well this year and last.  I don't know why i had never done a butt before, but i definitely will again.  There are other things i want to try, but that's about it so far.  

How about you, how long you been smoking?

Agreed bark and char are the hardest pics.

Bark can be mahogany and look burnt to a crisp in pics especially if you edit pics and boost contrast.

I had a coal oven pizza, the pizza was delicious, the pic looked like they burned it. It had nice char/color like it is supposed to but no crispy bitter char, just color on the crust.

Sometimes you have to be there!

So many times I've seen "Too bad you bured it" and the person says "That's funny, it wasn't burnt at all."

parker49 said:
After you said that i looked at the pic again and you are right it does look like that, fortunately for me and my wife it wasn't burned.

Now that is interesting, never heard of it but it does sound like something to look into.
its funny you say that about the lighting, i just replaced the light above my stove and for some reason it has about half the light of the old one we had on there so there is terrible lighting in there right now. i tried to keep it around 230, but with my smoker it can really fluctuate sometimes.  I started smoking ribs and wings a couple of years ago and did some chicken as well this year and last.  I don't know why i had never done a butt before, but i definitely will again.  There are other things i want to try, but that's about it so far.  

How about you, how long you been smoking?
Since I was a kid grandfather was big into smoking and cooking for lots of church and local vfw,elms,shrinners, etc. I'm 52 been cooking seriously since I was 16, always loved it!!!
Check out my post in the grilling and smoking threads. :) what kind of cooker y'all using?

oldsalty said:
Since I was a kid grandfather was big into smoking and cooking for lots of church and local vfw,elms,shrinners, etc. I'm 52 been cooking seriously since I was 16, always loved it!!!
Check out my post in the grilling and smoking threads. :) what kind of cooker y'all using?
I am pretty much learning as i go, reading some forums and posts and then just modifying to how i want to do it.  Right now i have chargriller with a side smoker box that i have had for about 4 years.  I know it is not the best, but for learning it has served me well. If i continue to smoke more i will upgrade one day, for now this works though. I will check out your threads sounds cool. 

I was happy that the ribs were pull of the bone but not fall of the bone, since i have started smoking i have learned the difference and i have gotten a lot better at that.

The Hot Pepper said:
Agreed bark and char are the hardest pics.

Bark can be mahogany and look burnt to a crisp in pics especially if you edit pics and boost contrast.

I had a coal oven pizza, the pizza was delicious, the pic looked like they burned it. It had nice char/color like it is supposed to but no crispy bitter char, just color on the crust.

Sometimes you have to be there!

So many times I've seen "Too bad you burned it" and the person says "That's funny, it wasn't burnt at all."

i wish i had thought to take pictures while it was still on the smoker and not as an afterthought.  Sometimes when you are in the middle of trying to get everything ready you forget the most important part, pics.  Ok maybe not the most important part  ;)

Well your doing great !! Keep On Smoking :)
Ps I still use my old chargriller offset smoker!! You can buy insulator blankets for many cookers and it easy to buy the material to do it yourself. Mine is fully insulted and sealed all seams with high temp gasket kit and toggle clamps on cooker hatch. Cheap upgrade and my cousins in RI are using it today closing up one of. Are farmhouses. Talked to them this morning said it was chugging like locomotive!! :) if you'd like. A list of upgrades and were too purchase material just pm me ::)
CHEERS

oldsalty said:
Well your doing great !! Keep On Smoking :)
Ps I still use my old chargriller offset smoker!! You can buy insulator blankets for many cookers and it easy to buy the material to do it yourself. Mine is fully insulted and sealed all seams with high temp gasket kit and toggle clamps on cooker hatch. Cheap upgrade and my cousins in RI are using it today closing up one of. Are farmhouses. Talked to them this morning said it was chugging like locomotive!! :) if you'd like. A list of upgrades and were too purchase material just pm me : :)
CHEERS
Thanks pm on the way.

Back