• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Weird fruit colors?

I was just wondering if these colors were normal... My ornamental pepper's pods ripen from white to red. I have no idea what kind of pepper it is, neither does the gardening store where I bought it.
I keep reading that peppers are supposed to ripen from green to red. I haven't had the chance to follow a pod's whole life course (I think new flowers are developing since a couple of days), but the really immature ones are white instead of green.
Is this a clue to what kind if pepper this is? Is it even supposed to happen?

Sorry for all the questions... As an inexperienced chili eater, I really don't have much else to add for now.

Chilis come in all colors and not all of them start out green and not all riepn to red. There are several that ripen from white to whatever. Would be helpful if you could post a pic!

I know, but I don't have a camera and my webcam is being a b**ch.
I'll upload one when I can take one, but it might take quite a while. I guess a description isn't going to do much good?

Thanks for reassuring me about the color though. For a while, I thought i had a freak plant or something :P

welcome to the world of chileheads!

different colors & chiles, normal :lol:
colors are kinda endless when it comes to chiles. they could be green & ripen to red or purple/red, black/red, yellowish/red, green/orange, yellowish/white, green/purple, etc....

post some pictures of your plant & theres plenty of folks here willing to help ID the chile for you or at least give you some choices it could be.

if not heres 2 websites I know of that have great info/pictures of chiles, CCN chileplants.com has a better search engine but thechileman has more different types of chiles.

www.chileplants.com

www.thechileman.org

It seems like mine looks a lot like the Cuyana and Prairie Fire.

cuyana.jpg

prairie-fire.jpg

The peppers have roughly the same shape, just a little pointier top. The leaves hang inbetween these two: color of a prairie fire, and the shape leans more towards Cuyana.

That's probably the best description I can offer. Thanks a lot for the link, I didn't know that one yet.

Hehe yeah it's a real tie there... I'm leaning more towards Cuyana, but that might aswell be the picture's fault. Angle and whatnot.

I walked past a pretty good gardening shop this morning, and there I saw the exact plants in their window. So I was excited, these people usually really know what they're selling. I went in and asked.

"Some kind of Capsicum."
"I thought so, but what kind?"
"Beats me, there are so many kinds out there... Can't tell ya."

Gee, that was helpful... :P

Elkie said:
Hehe yeah it's a real tie there... I'm leaning more towards Cuyana, but that might aswell be the picture's fault. Angle and whatnot.

I walked past a pretty good gardening shop this morning, and there I saw the exact plants in their window. So I was excited, these people usually really know what they're selling. I went in and asked.

"Some kind of Capsicum."
"I thought so, but what kind?"
"Beats me, there are so many kinds out there... Can't tell ya."

Gee, that was helpful... :P

Some nice folks in the world..But In truth ive seen that a lot,The most common being people right Chili on the plant tag which again is just really frustrating :)

I got the information "It's capsicum annuum" once when I asked about a plant they were selling. They also had four or five others on sale, I wonder what the answer would have been if I had asked about one of the others (all c.annuum!).
As I said, in your case they were at least honest and didn't tell you a load of crap.
What Talas said is also true, it's embarassing, the label might as well say "plant"!!! Even in one botanical garden I've been to this summer, the varieties of chilis they had (about half a dozen) weren't properly named. The labels on the toms were correct thought, gotta give it to them! :)

Back