• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Weird growth disparity--Conventional pot v. Smart Pot

Try this until your soil accepts daily watering.

http://www.yougrowgi...igation-system/

I'm pretty mechanically retarded but I was playing around with an alternate watering method in my head. Basically I'd like to create a ghetto drip system where I encircle all the plants with some tubing. The tubing would have a hole every couple of inches. I could hang water buckets from the rafters. I'm struggling with how to attach the tube to the bucket so that it has an airtight fit. I really want to evenly soak the periphery of each pot so as to encourage lateral root growth. Any thoughts/ideas?

There are all kinds of ways to do that. You can put a spigot into the bottom of a five gallon bucket and use some plastic weld to make it water tight. Then just hook a hose up to it. Run the hose through the plants and then make the holes. Easy.

There are all kinds of ways to do that. You can put a spigot into the bottom of a five gallon bucket and use some plastic weld to make it water tight. Then just hook a hose up to it. Run the hose through the plants and then make the holes. Easy.

Sounds like a plan for this weekend!

2 words...
Wally Bags!
CIMG0150.jpg

This is genius and will be attempted when my plants get bigger. Thanks!

Hey fellow San Diegan! Welcome to THP.
Needs any seeds? I need to pay it forward as I have received a lot from THP'ers as of late. Send me a PM if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm fine right now. Should have 20 different varieties waiting for me when I get home today from Ajijoe. Fingers crossed

So I'm considering doing something slightly more "ghetto". I'm going to have a 5 gallon bucket on a small table just outside of the grow area. I'm going to drill a hole and use plastic weld to affix a 100' length of 1/2" tubing to the hole. Obviously the hole will be at the very bottom of the bucket.

I'll run the hose around the periphery of each plant. I was going to use a tack to punch holes? I'll use thin, 3" pieces of bamboo to keep the hose in place. When it's watering time I'll just pour water into the bucket. Are there any obvious flaws with the plan?

Would I need to water each plant at its base as well or would the periphery be sufficient? As I previously mentioned, I'm mechanically retarded so any feedback would be appreciated.

How about this. Get a small piece of pvc and run it down to the roots, "mainline" the water and nutrients past the surface and direct it to the roots.

Set up 2 of my smart pots that way today, now have to see if it helps out.

If you are growing jumbo plants:

71oyltT5pcL.jpg

http://www.treegator.com/

When I worked in the nursery, we found that almost all the plants we grew did best in containers (3 gallon or 10") that had the drainage holes about 1"-2" above the bottom of the pot. This helped the soil keep a consistent moisture level necessary to keep the delicate feeder roots alive. Of course that bottom two inches was usually a pancake of muck after a few months, and after too long (24 months or so) it was a detriment to the plant. But for a 1 year grow, it was a plus.

The lack of stress makes the plants happy, but may make the peppers less piquant. IDK, you would have to ask Primo about that.

How about this. Get a small piece of pvc and run it down to the roots, "mainline" the water and nutrients past the surface and direct it to the roots.

Set up 2 of my smart pots that way today, now have to see if it helps out.

Just to reiterate, I have no problem watering the center. My difficulty lies with the periphery hence lateral root growth is discouraged. I don't see how applying water locally, to a single location in the pot will solve the problem.

I just want to make sure that we're on the same page as I know that this thread is getting a bit long. Up until recently I've been giving the plants a great bit of water but only pouring the water on the center of the pot as that contains seed starting mix and is most ready to suck up water.

When I started a group of 10 plants, I was able to put 9 of them in smart pots and one in a conventional pot. The one in the conventional pot is way out performing the other 10. The concensus to date has been that by virtue of only watering at the base that the periphery of the root system is staying too dry and that I need to evenly moisten the soil.

As I've been getting each plant to suck up a great deal of water since the get go.....

The only problem I see with not having some type of spigot is you have no control over the flow. The water is going to rush out just as fast as it can. With a spigot you can set the rate. Maybe have a constant drip going right at the surface. It won't get crusty then.

I did a little shopping at the Home Depot. I purchased 100' of 1/4" tubing, an adaptor for a faucet and a small kit with an object to pierce the line and plugs for screw ups. There's a faucet in close proximity to my grow area so I can adjust the flow. All in all I think that this will prove to be $25 well spent.

Personally I think it sounds like you simply put them into the 10gallon pots too early and they struggled to establish themselves when they were smaller possibly even due to having too much moisture not the reverse.
The reason people start off in smaller pots to start with is to make sure they establish a good rootball and even get slightly root bound before potting on. This means once they hit the larger root space they are immediately ready to utilise it and grow rapidly.
They are simply playing catch-up from their initial starts I think. They will get there but it may take a while.
As for making sure your medium is watered through simply let them stand in a bucket of tepid water for an hour each ...

That will ensure they are watered thoroughly initially and seek a long term solution once you know they are evenly watered.

*my personal opinion only mind you*

Personally I think it sounds like you simply put them into the 10gallon pots too early and they struggled to establish themselves when they were smaller possibly even due to having too much moisture not the reverse.
The reason people start off in smaller pots to start with is to make sure they establish a good rootball and even get slightly root bound before potting on. This means once they hit the larger root space they are immediately ready to utilise it and grow rapidly.
They are simply playing catch-up from their initial starts I think. They will get there but it may take a while.
As for making sure your medium is watered through simply let them stand in a bucket of tepid water for an hour each ...

That will ensure they are watered thoroughly initially and seek a long term solution once you know they are evenly watered.

*my personal opinion only mind you*

0.o

With all due respect, I have had the best luck going from a solo(not root-bound,) to a growbag. Why slow the roots down when they can be free to do what they want? "Because plants evolved to need pots before planting..." I don't think so. I have no proof of this of coarse, Im just using my deductive reasoning. I think the reason why people start with small pots is to save space, I know that why I do it.

Honestly this whole crust thing is very silly to me. Its just a dried crusty soil... break it up and water it, or make it a basin shape, or add multch, or, or, or. Sorta not worth arguing about that's for sure.

Oh and armac, nice plants.

Back