• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Weird Mutation?

So this is the second Datil in a row I had pop with two cotyledons but no growing head. I let it be and finally it broke through, but with two growing heads and one is shooting up triple sets of leaves. See photo below. Cool eh? This common or as weird as I think it is. The first datil broke through with only a single two-leaf growing sprout.

P3131768.jpg

Looks pretty cool, I've never come across it.  The coolest mutation I've grown was an Anaheim that had bifurcated leaves.  I've been trying to no avail to grow its offspring this year, and I originally tried to overwinter it but the aphidpocalypse took it out.  Maybe I'll get lucky and have some cool mutations with my most recent round of seeds.

That is cool  indeed i have an unknown seedling that seems do be doing the same(my sister bought it for me ) so no idea what pepper its gona be

Van said:
That is cool  indeed i have an unknown seedling that seems do be doing the same(my sister bought it for me ) so no idea what pepper its gona be

Hopefully they'll be prolific!

Reactions: Van
What you have is a double split.  It happens all the time when the initial growing tip dies or is damaged.  What will happen though most likely is 2 or more main stems which means more peppers because, more nodes equals more peppers.

millworkman said:
What you have is a double split.  It happens all the time when the initial growing tip dies or is damaged.  What will happen though most likely is 2 or more main stems which means more peppers because, more nodes equals more peppers.

Excellent news!

Back