• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Weird stuff going on here.

Hey all,

Working with the grow tent this evening.... Found some interesting stuff attached to the leaves of one plant. Can anyone give me some insight as to what it might be / how to treat it if need be ?

The tent:

15cbwn.jpg

The plant:

106f0qq.jpg

The mystery:

ao2r08.jpg

Please also know the white hair like things coming off the stems.

Thanks all.

- Mega

Right on. I have an in-line fan at the top throwing heat out. I'll open up a side vent towards the bottom to allow more air in, and turn the small fan blowing on the seedling up from speed one to two. Thanks for the help !

- Mega

Edema may be caused by any agent that stimulates an abnormal increase in the size and number of a group of inner cells. Edema can be induced by (1) spraying with some chemicals such as ammoniacal copper carbonate in an oil emulsion, (2) injuries resulting from wind-blown sand particles and sucking insects, (3) high light intensity (over 2000 foot-candles) for ivy geraniums, and (4) accumulation of water in the intercellular spaces.

The most common cause of edema is the presence of abundant, warm soil water and a cool, moist atmosphere. Under these conditions the roots absorb water at a rate faster than is lost through transpiration. Excess water accumulates in the leaf, some parenchyma cells enlarge and block the stomatal openings through which water vapor is normally released from the plant; thereby contributing to further water retention in the leaf. If this condition persists, the enlarged cells divide, differentiate a cork cambium, and develop elongate cork cells externally to form a periderm. The rupture of the epidermis by the enlarged inner cells and the periderm account for the raised, crusty appearance of older edema spots.

Back