• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Well composted manure?

25 litres for nearly $7.

Not tooo bad considering most 25L "premium" potting mixes cost $10 or more here.

Seems a little high imo. 25 liters is about .88 cubic ft according to the online calculator I used. 1.5 cubic feet here is about $1.50. 1.5 cubic ft. of potting soil is about $6 in comparison....

that's fungus. not sure if it's beneficial or otherwise. my chicken manure and coffee grounds get that. i think it happens when your compost is slightly on the acidic side. and of course lots of moisture.

that's fungus. not sure if it's beneficial or otherwise. my chicken manure and coffee grounds get that. i think it happens when your compost is slightly on the acidic side. and of course lots of moisture.
Yeah, I've been meaning (for a long time now!) to get a pH test kit - something I really have to remember to do BEFORE I plant in it!

i don't really worry about acidity so long as i know what's in it and so long as i get the ratios of my dirt mix right. =D

i don't really worry about acidity so long as i know what's in it and so long as i get the ratios of my dirt mix right. =D
I have never really worried about it either, but I'm actually interested to see how much of a difference it makes when pH is kept between the optimal range. :think:

i used to add lots and lots of compost in my mix and now i do more of a 2/3 coir or potting soil then 1/3 compost.

it seems to level it out.

and about a handful or two of bat guano for good measure.

i used to add lots and lots of compost in my mix and now i do more of a 2/3 coir or potting soil then 1/3 compost.

it seems to level it out.

and about a handful or two of bat guano for good measure.
My mix is about 50/50 old soil and composted manure at the moment. The old soil was mixed at 25L potting mix, 9L coir and 3L perlite - and over last season, became absolutely loaded with worms. :D

To my new mix, I will probably be looking to add another bag of plain old potting mix or another coir brick or two, perlite and blood & bone. I was going to try and get my hands on some worm castings but I'm hoping that there will be plenty of that in there already thanks to my worm friends.

I guess really at the moment, I'm kinda just playing around and see where I end up.

Yeah, they like to rip us Aussies off when it comes to garden stuff.... ;)

I really feel bad for you!

Sometimes one can take things for granite, the pic of the wagon full of compost 22ft long 8ft wide and as much as they can put on;;;; 20 bucks.

The farmer that I get it from has so many cows he could fill a thousand of my wagons every month and Is now building 2 more free stalls 150ft wide and a quarter mile long, just to add to the 6 he already has; now thats a lot of SH!T

Wish I could ship you some!:lol:

Sometimes one can take things for granite, the pic of the wagon full of compost 22ft long 8ft wide and as much as they can put on;;;; 20 bucks.

The farmer that I get it from has so many cows he could fill a thousand of my wagons every month and Is now building 2 more free stalls 150ft wide and a quarter mile long, just to add to the 6 he already has; now thats a lot of SH!T

Yikes! That is A LOT of poo - and for next to nothing!

I did see some "manure for sale" signs in peoples yards around the countryside while I was out there the other day, but one thing very quickly occurred to me - I had nowhere to put it! And I tell ya, I sure wasn't gonna have it sitting next to me on my four hour drive home! :lol:

It's a shame really, I dare say I would be paying next to nothing for a big ol' pile of crap too! :(

Where is between heaven and hell? Wonder if I am close to this cheap poo

Yikes! That is A LOT of poo - and for next to nothing!

I did see some "manure for sale" signs in peoples yards around the countryside while I was out there the other day, but one thing very quickly occurred to me - I had nowhere to put it! And I tell ya, I sure wasn't gonna have it sitting next to me on my four hour drive home! :lol:

It's a shame really, I dare say I would be paying next to nothing for a big ol' pile of crap too! :(

:lol: What do you drive? does it have a trunk and some heavy duty trash bags or totes. maybe the combo of both.:)

If it is real compost manure then It shouldn't really stink, well a little bit maybe.

As long as you are driving by, price of gas these days, if you know what I mean. Crap; for me it dosen't pay to drive 10 miles to save 4 dollars, thats :crazy:

Find your self a little honey hole some where along the beaten path you can start a stock pile.:cool:

Where is between heaven and hell? Wonder if I am close to this cheap poo

Wisconsin.

My uncle was the herd manager for the Blue Mountain Academy in Hamburg, up 81 about 48 miles, need to bring back a lot to be worth it.

Looks like once you get out of town 10, 15, minutes there are hundreds of little farms. One of those nice Sunday drive, stop, and talk moments :)

I get my compost 3 miles from the house but took me 4 years to find it!!:rofl:

If it is real compost manure then It shouldn't really stink, well a little bit maybe.
That's the other thing... I dare say it is not composted and I would have to do that part myself. I'm guessing that farmers just collect the stuff, bag it up, whack a sign out the front, and "here ya go, folks, come get your cheap poo!"

As long as you are driving by, price of gas these days, if you know what I mean. Crap; for me it dosen't pay to drive 10 miles to save 4 dollars, thats :crazy:
I hear ya!

I might even be saving myself some dosh paying $7 for 25L when it's only a short drive down the road for me! :lol:

Back