• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well composted manure?

Does this look like well composted manure?

IMG_5788.jpg

I'm just not sure of the big chunks. Are they normal? And can they just be broken up and it's good to go?

Looking good buddy! Grab as much of that as you can.
Just so you feel more safe using it, here is my risk. About 8 tons a year and it looks exactly like what you have there; chunks and all :dance:

I put it on top about 4 inches thick.:) a weed will not grow through it!

compostwagon.jpg

Where did you get yours from?

This one is Fine Farms Mixed Manure from Bunnings. I believe it is a mix of cow and chook poo.

Hay G What is your guess on the percentage of chook poo in the batch? even broke down that could be quite nitro rich, Chicken poo has 8 to 10 times the nitro a cow poo :lol:

Hay G What is your guess on the percentage of chook poo in the batch? even broke down that could be quite nitro rich, Chicken poo has 8 to 10 times the nitro a cow poo :lol:
Honestly, I could not tell you! All I know is, the place that stocks it has three types: cow manure, chicken manure and this mixed manure. I'm just assuming it is a mix of cow and chook poo based upon the other two being cow and chook and the bag has a picture of cows and chooks on it. ;)

Looking good buddy! Grab as much of that as you can.
Just so you feel more save using it, here is my risk. About 8 tons a year and it looks exactly like what you have there; chunks and all :dance:

I put it on top about 4 inches thick.:) a weed will not grow through it!

compostwagon.jpg
Ah, so you use it like a mulch then?

I actually bought this stuff to mix with last seasons spent soil from my pots to revitalize it so I can save some money this season and re-use it. :D

Ah, so you use it like a mulch then?

I actually bought this stuff to mix with last seasons spent soil from my pots to revitalize it so I can save some money this season and re-use it. :D

Yes, like a mulch but it becomes next years base when mixed in.

What you are doing with it is supurb, nice way to rejuvenate the soil!

How much is in a bag and what do they soak you for it?

Yes, like a mulch but it becomes next years base when mixed in.

What you are doing with it is supurb, nice way to rejuvenate the soil!

How much is in a bag and what do they soak you for it?
25 litres for nearly $7.

Not tooo bad considering most 25L "premium" potting mixes cost $10 or more here.

I was just thinking though, I am heading out to the country on Tuesday to see my sister... probably could've got something out there much cheaper.

I had 40 yd^3 of dark black organic cow manure brought over yesterday. I'll take some pics when the rain has stopped. My ground soil is mostly sand and wouldn't grow much without it.

I paid $17.00 per yd^3.

1 ft^3 = 28+ liters = $0.63

I'm in the wrong business!!

Is it normal for manure to grow fuzzy, moldy stuff on it??

IMG_5791.jpg

I mixed it in with my used soil and came back a few days later only to find it growing that stuff on top!

And should well composted manure still kill worms? My soil was loaded with 'em but I couldn't even find one in there today. :( (and of course, there is nowhere they could have gone as I have the mix in a tub!)

I always get little fuzzzies like that when using chicken manure. Never has it cause me harm.
Cool. :cool:

I actually wasn't too concerned as I've dealt with fuzzies before while starting seeds and it has never caused my little guys any harm. I guess my main concern was the quality of the stuff... but hey, if it's normal, I can live with that! :lol:

Back