• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well, darn

I had a couple of really promising Big Jim peppers for the contest before I went on vacation; but when I came back they both had blossom end rot. The Puppy Au Pair was doing her best to keep everything watered this time, and so was watering everyday in the extreme heat.

Oh well.

I sincerely sympathize. 2 of mine have seemed to ripen on one side, but the ripe part looks kind of wilted. When cut open they revealed these black seeds under the ripened wilty flesh. I am almost afraid to see them ripen now.

you'll have to start planning your holidays for off-season Pam! hasn't this sort of thing happened to you before when leaving neophytes in charge of your plantation???

chilliman64 said:
you'll have to start planning your holidays for off-season Pam! hasn't this sort of thing happened to you before when leaving neophytes in charge of your plantation???

To be fair, there was a heat wave around here, it was getting to 100 F and hotter day after day. I went north where it was cool!

She really tried hard this time to take good care of the plants. It was just so hot and dry. She earned her bonus of a pair of jeans with chains and webbing and stuff.

this time...it was the same girl!?!?!?! your tolerance (or ability to forgive) is commendable - is she a relative!

did the rest of your crop survive? how about your beloved tomatoes?

chilliman64 said:
this time...it was the same girl!?!?!?! your tolerance (or ability to forgive) is commendable - is she a relative!

did the rest of your crop survive? how about your beloved tomatoes?

She's a neighbor child, and her primary job is to take care of the animals. she always does an excellent job with the dogs and cats, and that's the most important thing.

The only plants we lost this time were some million bells that were in hanging baskets. It's wasn't a lack of water, they just burned up in the heat. She was very conscientious and watered all the plants every other day. You saw the pictures I posted of the thriving weeds in the garden? And all the other peppers I harvested?

We're well past the peak of tomato season this late in the summer, and the extreme heat pretty much means I won't have much of a fall crop. About all I have left are the current tomatoes. And while the Puppy au Pair is causing plenty a heat wave in the pants of all the pubescent boys around here, I don't think we can blame the rest of the weather on her.

you're right, the important thing is she looked after the animals properly

how hot are you talking? (I'm referring to the weather, not the adolescent)

chilliman64 said:
how hot are you talking?

I was gone for 14 days, and 10 of them were over 100F (37.7C). Three days it reached 107F (41.6) Since I've been back, we've had at least 5 days over 100F, and the others were in the upper 90's.
The humidity has been thick enough to scoop up in a bucket, so the heat index has been higher. We've set several new records, but I can't remember on which days.

It's not that we don't get 100 degree days around here in the summer, it's that we don't usually get so many in a row. Usually when it gets that hot it triggers thunderstorms that cool it back down, but we've a drought this summer. I think we have a 15 inch rain deficit, but I can't swear to that. I was delighted when it rained here Friday night, it was the first good rain that's fallen on my yard in more than a month. I don't wanna see my water bill this month!

Interestingly enough, June and July were cooler than normal, and that prevented the drought from becoming critical.

(I'm referring to the weather, not the adolescent)

Good, 'cause then I'd have to smack ya!

I'm having a problem with my Big Jims too. Not enough flower due to a catapiller.

Although I just grilled up our first Big Jim of the season...tasted like a red bell pepper...mmmm.

imaguitargod said:
I'm having a problem with my Big Jims too. Not enough flower due to a catapiller.

Although I just grilled up our first Big Jim of the season...tasted like a red bell pepper...mmmm.

My first ripe one should be good when I get home today. It was 90% ripe and still firm when I left this morning. 2 previous ones had seemed to ripen, but then looked kind of squishy and had black seeds inside.Crappy. Hopefully this one will be OK.

Back