• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well, the heat got about half of my garden...

A few days ago, I noticed that some of my plants were drooping with bad sun scald. I put up some umbrellas and hung some white sheets to block some of the sun.

Well, the HOA made me take them down as they were an "eyesore"... I tried to sacrifice some of my tomatoes to save my peppers. I cut the ties and draped them over the pepper plants. I have been watering early in the morning.

Today, I went out to pick a few pods that I noticed were ready. I have no ideas where these came from as I thought I had picked everything. Anyways, A few leaves came off with the pod and they were "crunchy". Still green but dry.

I scratched the base of some plants and most of them are still green, but my banana, cowhorn, jalapeno, orange hab, and bolivian rainbow are just dry sticks. I am hoping that there is still some life left in them, but I don't have high hopes.

I took some twine and window screen and made a sort of "roof" over some of the shorter plants. You can't see it from the road, so no one should say anything.

It would be nice for a few days of cooler weather... Just so a few plants might come back enough to make it until September when it should start cooling off.

i know the feeling. this has been the most frustrating growing season i can recall. i still have no pods other than red savina and the only reason i have those is because i had the plant in my bedroom all winter. hardly any rain at all. 105 degrees consistantly. i've got strains that i've waited years to try and still nothing.

If you can get some Potash or K-Mag (or similar, 0-0-22) feed this to your plants, it will help with wilting and help the plant better sustain drought and heat.

My plants are abnormally large this time of year (way early start + indoor growing up to April) and have lots of large foliage, they are only in 12 inch containers and in July they were getting to the point where they would require several waterings a day to prevent the soil from drying out and lots of wilting in 80-90F and sometimes very windy conditions (15mph with 25mph gusts to make things worse).

I decided to give them some extra Potash (about a tablespoon per plant then water + foliar at 1 tablespoon per 22oz spray bottle) since Potassium is what the leaves use to open and close the stoma and thus prevent water from escaping. Anyway, three days later all the plants can get through the sunniest and hottest part of the day without even slightly wilting with only one watering before the sun hits. No sunscreen required at all. Before I would have to water them once in the morning, once before the sun hit and half way through the 8+ hours of sun they are receiving then one light watering before I went to bed. Now I soak them thoroughly in the morning and a light watering before I go to bed, that's it... Huge improvement I'd say.

Note: Also, from time to time (about once a week) I put about 3 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water when watering to avoid root rot from my deep waterings in the morning (especially if it's overcast or really humid).

Hope that helps, good luck :D

Well, the HOA made me take them down as they were an "eyesore"...

You know, unless you signed anything, that's totally illegal... They can't force you to do anything, besides it's YOUR property, if they don't like it then they can move to some other country where you are allowed to control your neighbors, like Iran or North Korea or something.

One thing I really hate is when some moron decides to create an association to control the neighborhood. Mind your own f-in business I say.

actually they can and will force you to do several things. most if not all HOA's have rules and bylaws and the standard that they are generated from is typically a 1,000 plus pages and they have the right to add items as they see fit. Anything that is considered an eyesore is fair ground. I have been living in HOA's as I prefer to own condo's and everyone has had total control and as a board member I can say they can make your life living hell if they really want to. Just be lucky you don't live in a CITY that has that much control. I did that once and they controlled every thing outside of the home down to the color paint you where "allowed" to use.

Back