• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

What are some good ingredients for a brown superhot sauce?

I've decided to make my first sauce of the season with these guys

GqpVX4U.jpg

They're Reaper X 7 Pot Douglah, but to my taste less hot than the lineage implies.

I'd like the sauce to keep the color

I have a smoker.

I'm thinking a clove of garlic, maybe a hint of malt vinegar, maybe a hint of molasses...

What do you think?

I say no to malt vinegar. You can really use any vinegar but ACV has a darker tint and works well. Smoking the pods definitely helps. Then maybe just follow a general chipotle sauce recipe. BBQ and steak sauce are also brown. Really anything works if you are using mostly peppers. It will be brown!

Roasted or smoked garlic and onions ( no oil!)
Smoked peppers
Bit of tamari / soy sauce, like a tablespoon or 2
Balsamic vinegar or balsamic and apple cider
Tiny bit of molasses, but be careful as the balsamic will lend some sweetness.
Bulk it up with some red bell pepper, smoked with the other stuff
Bulk up with pumpkin or yams also. These will also add a bit of sweetness and will also act as a binder/thickener.

Have fun! Post pics if you can.

Carmelize some onions, garlic, green and red bell peppers, with some brown sugar. Add some of the other stuff Salsalady mentioned, or smoke some/all of the ingredients if thats your thing. I'm personally not a huge fan of chipotle sauces, but I know a lot of people are, and will probably end up making some at some point.

Back