• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What are some good tasting ornamental varieties?

I've got 2 pots for the deck, about 24" diameter.
Purple/black foliage would be cool.
Multi-stage color change would be cool.
a neat upright shape would be nice, rather than a rambling horizontal pubescens.

I forgot about Aji Omnicolor, THAT IS a good one! tasty. The Baccatum might be a bit rambling though
Bolivian rainbow has awesome colors.
Wild brazil sounds cool, charapita as well. these get a bit bushy?
I like the upright Black to Red Thai like that Maui purple. Clumping thai's are cool.
Black pearl is very dark, and I like the clumps of round red peppers on the black. I actually spotted it at a local botanical garden which was cool and nerdy for me to point out to friends.

Hows the Yaki Blue taste? Someone around here had 1 or 2 fabulous specimens of Yaki Blue in a teal/blue pots...

If not good for fresh or sauce uses, I'd like to be able to powder/flake it for pizza or mac+cheese or whatever...
but bitterness is not my favorite pepper attribute...is that reduced by removing seeds? like cutting them in half before drying and then knocking the seeds out after dehydrating

there is plenty to choose from...
Aji Omnicolor is a fantastic baccatum and the peppers taste different as they go through different color stages :)
doesn't get to big when potted 

IMO  Yaki Blue taste better when they are fully ripened to a maroon color but the whole plant is beautiful and it's  :hot:   :metal:

here you can look up 4 pages of ornamentals and get their descriptions and see a pic

https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?Search=True&SearchButton=Go&SearchMode=simple&SpeciesCode=&Letter=&Keyword=&CategoryID=1&HeatID=&TypeID=&UseID=43&SizeID=&FleshID=&FoliageID=&OrientationID=&HeightID=&SeasonID=&DeterminancyID=&Heirloom=&Location=&Color=&Page=1&LengthID=&WidthID=&StockStatusID=&NewProduct=&ImageHeader=

you can use the features on the left to toggle which characteristics you are searching for.
 There are plenty more than here.
This is just 1 way to quickly look up different characteristics that I've used when trying to find out about specific peppers i haven't grown.

Unfortunately they retired this year, and i'm not sure if you can even still order seeds :mope: maybe try to contact them and see ?
https://www.chileplants.com/retired.aspx

:cheers:

This is my first year, but my favorite 3 ornaments would be the black pearl, Chinese 5 and filius blue in reference to color.
7a560df3c5958c8a7b333af274b71069.jpg
1aba8b9f90f31b47589ac5ed7fcc0236.jpg
4f23034ca5724a80e7697cc9e5adb566.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I keep seeing Black Pearl come up in suggestions  :think:
i feel it can't be mentioned without also mentioning: Onyx Red; https://all-americaselections.org/product/ornamental-pepper-onyx-red/ 
and it's an 2018 AAS Winner !

given the same 3 gallon grow bags, Onyx Red stayed WAYYYY shorter !
With no training or trimming, and still produced well considering  it's compact size.
I could see this pepper being used as an ornamental border plant around a flower bed, with a;
tall, dark,  :hot:,  pepper like: Yaki Blue as a central focal point. Or top back center

So many options, and opinions on ornamental value vs. crop value, and what's worth growing 
probably going to have to try several and see what works out best for you.
i can tell you, Red Onyx even works well as a small desk plant.  but looks neat in mass plantings as well 

:cheers: 

+1 for Aji Omnicolor, Fish, and Yaki Blue.

That Orange Fish variant looks interesting. I have been thinking of growing that one myself.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
I keep seeing Black Pearl come up in suggestions  :think:

I am a bit surprised to see Black Pearl coming up in a thread about good tasting ornamental varieties.

I found the pods to be small, seedy, fairly bland, and not very hot. Beautiful plant, but very uninspiring peppers, IMO.

Back