• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What are some pepper's with very unique characteristics?

I would like to know some pepper varieties which contain very unique characteristics. Examples of characteristics are (unique color , unique flavor , unique shapes ).

Thank you for your time.

I've had my eye on "Purple Ghost" Bhut Jolokia Purple/Peach. I will probably buy it next but I just bought 14 other types so it might be a bit before I get any others.

Among those 14 types however is one I find interesting for a "unique" quality, it is the Dr Neyde Red Monster. It is just a nice purple.

Jes's Morangum Orange might also be of interest.
It is related to the aforementioned BBG7.

Mutants are looking weird/cool enough to get on your list I guess. Any of the dark crosses (with PDN genes), blotchy/striped colors ripe pods (a lot from Pink Tiger contribution), contorted shape, gnarly skin and long tails would get my attention too.

Personally I enjoy:
Thunder Mountain Longhorn - they can get incredibly long and have a good heat for a garnish.
Vezena Paprika - Known for having very high corking effect and thick walls.
Currently we are working on growing some KSLS, and BBG7s.

While neither have interesting names or are of a new verities or cross they both are different.

Obligatory immature post.

20-organic-peter-pepper-seeds-special-chili.jpg

AaronB said:
For flavour,

Cumari du Para - small yellow berries
Mako akokosrade - african chinense

Grab a few species -
Aji pineapple, capsicum baccatum
Rocoto or Manzano, capsicum pubescens
A capsicum frutscens.
Cumari is one of my absolute favorites, decent heat and such a nice fruity flavor. Goes really well in sweet foods; add a small handful to a bowl of fruit loops, vanilla ice cream, etc. or bake into cookies.

Pr0digal_son said:
I would say C.caatingae is about as unique as it gets. 20-25 berries per node,monopodial habit that never bifurcates,and pods that turn orange and are heatless.
Having googled the Capsicum caatinga...now i must ask you to point me in a general direction of where I can find it for sale? They sound awesome!

RedHotChiliPeppers said:
Having googled the Capsicum caatinga...now i must ask you to point me in a general direction of where I can find it for sale? They sound awesome!
I'm not aware of any vendors that sell them but that doesn't mean someone doesn't. I haven't looked for seeds in a few years.

Back