• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests What are these bugs?

I just found these crawling around my pots.  Please, please, please, tell me that they aren't aphids!  I don't see any on the underside of leaves.  As I'm composing this, I'm looking up aphid symptoms and am freaking out, because some of my plant leaves are a little sappy.

If they are aphids, it is odd how they got into an indoor apartment when my plants were started from seeds.  My only theory is that they came from a cutting that I brought in from outside.

http://vid1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag256/dragon491/IMG_4830_zpsnndajlob.mp4

http://vid1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag256/dragon491/IMG_4831_zpsal2vlfqs.mp4

hard to tell since it's not in focus but there's a lot of them. Almost looks like white flies but again. Can't really tell

See if you can get a pic upclose and in focus of one

D3monic said:
hard to tell since it's not in focus but there's a lot of them. Almost looks like white flies but again. Can't really tell

See if you can get a pic upclose and in focus of one
I already threw out 2 pots, fearing the infestation would spread, but here is a blown up picture of two of the critters.

They appear green.

IMG_4832_zpsmsqarqgn.png

I am far from an expert....but they look like aphids to me. Although when I see aphids they are always on he plants. I have never seen them like that. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will stop by.

Posting again for a bump - If I try and kill them with ant or roach spray, will it somehow make the peppers inedible if the poison gets into the roots?

Don't use a roach spray, wait until tomorrow and get a proper spray. Hopefully someone has an idea of what will work good, I haven never had good luck with aphids indoors. 

dragon49 said:
Posting again for a bump - If I try and kill them with ant or roach spray, will it somehow make the peppers inedible if the poison gets into the roots?
Umm...pretty sure that is not what you want to do. Try a mixture of dish soap and water and spray u til you can get something to eradicate them.

spray em down with water and knock em off for now.

Ive had good luck with Bonide Tomato and Vegetable(would have rather had the orchard, fruit and nut, but local place didnt have it) for my over winters.  Had 2 outbreaks(not nearly as bad as yours though) and mixed up 2 pretty strong batches and sprayed em down about 4-5 days apart.  Havent seen any back yet, but I need to do a light spray down in the next day or two just to keep em under control.

Most Lowes carry Bonide products.  I buy from a smaller dealer locally and get the concentrate and mix myself, but if Lowes is your only choice they might only have the pre-mix.

Those are aphids. If there's not many just squish them. Not only is it a quick but extremely satisfying as well. No coming back from that.

Aphids are easy to kill.  Blast em with a hose, This removes the bulk of them and damages their mouth parts.  then smoosh the hard asses that hang on. If your looking for a chemical solution soak some cigarette butts in water and spray them.  Their little bodies cant handle even small amounts of nicotine which loses toxicity very quickly.  You can supposedly make a spray out of tomato leaves as they contain toxic alkaloids.  Haven't tried that one but might do some experiments this summer.  I usually just squish 'em, its easy and you get the eggs in the process.

btw - I enjoyed the aphid parade video.  Much more fun then looking at a pic, it just needed some music and a float or two.

Thanks for all the positive IDs.

The infestation is worse that I earlier saw—there are aphids on most of my plants.  I played the squish game for a while, but there are eggs everywhere and they will come back.  I tried my corner convenience store and the local 24x7 Duane Reade, but neither of them had any appropriate spray.  I'll pick up something at a florist tomorrow after work to try and kill all of the critters.

I've had good results with pyrethrin based "Bug Bomb" foggers.  (Once sprayed, this family of insecticide breaks down very quickly, so you won't be killing beneficial insects a month from now.)  You'll need to trim the tab that locks the trigger down when pressed (so it doesn't just keep spraying 'till empty.)  Mist very lightly, from ~3 feet away.  (You don't want to wet the leaves with any insecticide.)  Give it a day to work then check and re-apply as needed.

FWIW - "works for me."

And/or...
If they aren't too plentiful, you can wet a q-tip into the insecticide and dab the monsters.  

Dr Bonners liquid Castile soap. 1 tablespoon to a large spray bottle or 5 TB to a gallon.

Seriously. Fuck the bug bombs, roach sprays and cigarette butts. Wicked Mike turned me on to this. Can use it all the way up to harvest. Just spray off 15 min after if there are pods.

Dr Bonners liquid Castile soap. Google it if you have to.

Try and find some neem oil,works great and actually makes the plants nicer imo. Follow the directions, 1.5 tsp of neem in 1 quart f water with .5 tsp of liquid dish soap like dawn shake well, spray your plants down all over on both sides and the top of soil. Then water with the same solution of neem until it comes out the bottoms. Put your plants in the dark for 4-6 hours,no worries. The extreme would be whip up a 5 gal bucket of neem and bare root all your plants soak in the neem solution for 30 seconds and then repot into a new fresh potting mix. Good luck. Cheers
Also check any other plants you have in the house well. And you may want to clean and wash down your grow area with a mild bleach solution if possible.

FreeportBum said:
Try and find some neem oil,works great and actually makes the plants nicer imo. Follow the directions, 1.5 tsp of neem in 1 quart f water with .5 tsp of liquid dish soap like dawn shake well, spray your plants down all over on both sides and the top of soil. Then water with the same solution of neem until it comes out the bottoms. Put your plants in the dark for 4-6 hours,no worries. The extreme would be whip up a 5 gal bucket of neem and bare root all your plants soak in the neem solution for 30 seconds and then repot into a new fresh potting mix. Good luck. Cheers
Also check any other plants you have in the house well. And you may want to clean and wash down your grow area with a mild bleach solution if possible.

This took care of my outdoor aphids last year.  A pump garden sprayer will help mist the backs of the leaves.  Neem oil has a very unique smell if you are expecting company.

Back