• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What are you adding to next years grow?

I'm not adding so much as I'm removing. I've been saying this the last few seasons, but this time I really need to cut down on the varieties. I thought I could get away with having more plants in smaller containers. It didn't work out the way I wanted, so next season I'm going to have fewer varieties but in bigger pots. I also will have more in-ground. 

I will keep some must-grow varieties and I will focus a lot on the crosses I've made:

Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F2
Cumari Pollux x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Aji Angelo x Cumari Pollux F1

I also want to add some new Baccatums and grow some of the varieties I've gotten from Hungary and Croatia.

i think i will grow
- reaper x lemon drop
- reaper x jay's peach ghost
- jay's peach ghost x primo
- tepin x lemon drop
- trinidad x-strain variant

b3rnd said:
I'm not adding so much as I'm removing. I've been saying this the last few seasons, but this time I really need to cut down on the varieties. I thought I could get away with having more plants in smaller containers. It didn't work out the way I wanted, so next season I'm going to have fewer varieties but in bigger pots. I also will have more in-ground. 

I will keep some must-grow varieties and I will focus a lot on the crosses I've made:

Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F2
Cumari Pollux x Pimenta da Neyde F1
Aji Angelo x Cumari Pollux F1

I also want to add some new Baccatums and grow some of the varieties I've gotten from Hungary and Croatia.

How did the starfish x lemondrop turn out? I got similar cross this year

Starfish x Aji Pinapple 

Mine looks a litte like bishops crown.

DontPanic said:
Criolla is a great, productive sweet pepper. I really like it.
My Zapotec got hammered this year. Just stunted. I left it in-ground, went away for 2 weeks, came home to a lot of little pods going. I've had 3 pods already, probably a little early, but nice flavor. I want it to work out. 

It's good to see I'm not the only one already planing for 2019.

I don't know how many of these I'll actually get to, but here's my aspirations for 2019:
Zapotec Jalapeño
Bahamian Goat
Harold's St. Barts
Criolla de Cocina

And I'd like to try a few of the Lindberg peppers, such as:
Aji Jobito
Aji Margariteno
Aji Rosita

Since this is only August, there's no telling how long this list will be by December. :)

Some of mine are partial replacements. I simply cant use 5 plants worth of Dreadies and next year will be the last in my search for a "better jalapeno". It would be nice to have a heirloom that is as good as the mucho nacho and chichimeca. I like to sample something new each year just to see if its worth a permanent spot. Brazilian Starfish and Aleppo earned those spots this year. Never been a huge fan of super hots but i have enjoyed the ghost this year.

I never grew anything hot in peach or brown. Ran out of time and space this year for the browns. I completely forgot about Sugar Rush Peach until it was too late. That is part of the reason i started this topic...to remind me. :D

orrevs said:

How did the starfish x lemondrop turn out? I got similar cross this year
Starfish x Aji Pinapple 
Mine looks a litte like bishops crown.

Wow, really? Mine don't look anything like Bishop's Crown. (Edit: Mine kinda look like obese Lemon Drops) I'll make a few pictures in a bit. Could you post some pictures of yours?

This could be interesting because some people say Aji Pineapple and Lemon Drop are the same variety, but this might prove otherwise. If they were the same variety, the F1 cross would be the same or at least somewhat similar, right?

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Some of mine are partial replacements. I simply cant use 5 plants worth of Dreadies and next year will be the last in my search for a "better jalapeno". It would be nice to have a heirloom that is as good as the mucho nacho and chichimeca. I like to sample something new each year just to see if its worth a permanent spot. Brazilian Starfish and Aleppo earned those spots this year. Never been a huge fan of super hots but i have enjoyed the ghost this year.

I never grew anything hot in peach or brown. Ran out of time and space this year for the browns. I completely forgot about Sugar Rush Peach until it was too late. That is part of the reason i started this topic...to remind me. :D

You really should grow the Sugar Rush Peach next season! It's my first year growing them and they are really awesome. Great taste and amazing producers.

I am starting to look at seeds for next year. Everything on pepperlover says “notify me”. Are we in the wrong time of year to be looking for seeds or is there a better source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwest Chileheads
White Hot Peppers
Puckerbutt Pepper Company
Refining Fire Chiles
Chile Plants aka Cross Country Nurseries.

Plenty more good ones out there too but i would imagine later season you will see more in stock at Pepperlover. She has a great selection of middle eastern peppers.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Midwest Chileheads
White Hot Peppers
Puckerbutt Pepper Company
Refining Fire Chiles
Chile Plants aka Cross Country Nurseries.

Plenty more good ones out there too but i would imagine later season you will see more in stock at Pepperlover. She has a great selection of middle eastern peppers.
Awesome. Thanks for the sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus, Refining Fire gets a lot of seeds from Peter....and marks them up 100% lol. Yeah, getting them from the Canary Islands is often quicker and cheaper than domestic sources

I'm looking to grow SRR and SRP next year along with getting rid of some varieties I don't care for as much. So far My west coast seeds scotch bonnets have been a poor performer outdoors I have other Caribbean varieties that are loaded and doing great while these plants aren't doing much at all. I'll definitely be keeping 7 pot yellow and Bahamian Goat as it's been a strong variety that is producing some huge pods in great numbers. 

I think Serrano and a good and hot Jalapeno will be on my list as well. 

Since I've been inspired/reminded by recent posts, next year I only want to grow a few superhot varieties: maybe a ghost, reaper for sure, and maybe dragon's breath. A couple BBGs probably as well.
But I really want to focus on milds and bonnets next year. I've never had a bonnet, but I love habs and hearing descriptions have really made me want to grow a few different varieties next year. Which ones probably depends on what seeds are less expensive. Though, hopefully, my p. Dreadie plant should produce a couple pods at least for seed and to try a bonnet for the first time.

Oh and also a couple of varieties I picked up during and coming back from a vacation to the Bahamas. I have: Bahamian "finger pepper", red and orange "monkey's nipple" (actually ID'd this looking at fataliiseeds. Can't remember the more professional name for it), and what the woman at the farmer's market had called "bird pepper". It was a 6ft tall 4ft wide bush packed with purplish foliage and bright red pequin-looking pods.

I would give MWCH's MOA reds a shot. Ive probably gotten 2 gallon freezer bags worth already for 2 plants. My 5 Dreadies are now in full gear ripening. They might produce more per plant. Hard to say since ive got more of them. The MOAs took off early and grew faster. I would like to try TFMs but both of these are just fine.

I had the list for 2019 already prepared in the beginning of this year because there was no space left indoors :D Couple weeks back I completed the list and start germinating for 2019 :)

New varieties for upcoming season for me are:
7Pot BBG
Big Black Mama
Scotch Brains
Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Naganero Triple
Habanero Chocolate
Dorset Naga - not new but my plants never had pods so trying again from seeds
BOC x JPGS

Back