• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering what are you overwinteeing/ bringing in?

I was going to overwinter but i thought why. So im going to just keep growing them and come may~ repot to maybe 15 gal.

I brought in a tscorp bhut and fatalii. Love those bullet shapped fatallis

I will overwinter my moruga since I haven't got any pods off of it yet. Also my barrakapore and king naga will come in.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was out in the garden. I am hoping to bring my Serrano plant indoors and I might bring in the cowhorn pepper and maybe one hot banana pepper plant. I gotta check with wifey though and see if she won't mind having one in the house....a happy wife is a happy life!

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was out in the garden. I am hoping to bring my Serrano plant indoors and I might bring in the cowhorn pepper and maybe one hot banana pepper plant. I gotta check with wifey though and see if she won't mind having one in the house....a happy wife is a happy life!

Aint that true, you going to trim them or keep growing them?

Probably a Bolivian Rainbow pepper, since they are ornamental they will transfer to a pot with no problems (I hope), and a Datil pepper.

I just started some Red Missiles and Explosive Embers too!!!

The only one I really wanted to bring indoors was my Hot Paper Lantern because it was so prolific during the year with good heat, but once I got the light installed I figured why not bring in a few more to fill out the room. Then I got the bright idea that since I have more room, I should start more plants. The end result is that I should have quite a few plants growing over this winter...

I started a glog with a few pics from earlier this week. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35064-jeffs-glog-2012-2013/

Aint that true, you going to trim them or keep growing them?

Surprisingly the Serrano plant is about two feet tall so I am not planning to trim it but if need be I don't mind triming it. I wanna hold onto this one especially since it has been producing lots of peppers this season. The same goes for the cowhorn and banana if I can get away with no trimming I will try and go that route.

I brought in some Tabascos last year. They bloomed through Christmas (I'm in Pennsylvania) and produced lots of fruit. The problem I had was they did not take when when I put them back outside. So I'm up in the air when I should cut the plants back, when I bring them in, or after they stop producing...

But, yes, they will continue growing. My Tabascos required lots of water.

Just bringing in my 2 year old Goat's Weed bonsai. I might try to squeeze a Rocoto in with my other house plants too but i don't have much room.

I only have room for about 12, so it will be a TS Moruga Blend (2), TS Butch T (2), TS Chocolate, Douglah, Bhut Jolokia, Scotch Bonnet Foodarama, Piquin, Bailey Piquin, Chiltepin and a Chiltepin cross. All will be cut back and going into 1 gal. pots under florescent lights.

The problem I had was they did not take when when I put them back outside.

I'm not sure if I am right in saying this, but my guess is that an over wintered plant may need to be 'hardened off' after being indoors for the winter. When you put the plant back outside, did you introduce it to the outdoors gently over a couple of weeks, or did you just put it outside and hope for the best?
Like I say, I'm still learning too, but I can imagine that a plant having been indoors for the winter would need to be introduced to the outside again in baby steps!?

i'm bringing in all 3 of my lemon drops, because they're so slooooooww to fruit and 1 rocoto because it is only 15" tall after a season of growing and never set 1 pepper. so now i'm determined to grow rocotos next season just for the challenge

I pulled up a bunch of plants, pruned them and put them into 1-gallon containers. I don't know if I'm going to overwinter all of them... I'll decide soon. Probably will end up with:
  • a few wilds that were a pain to start
  • TS Morouga
  • Brain Strain
  • a few nice bhuts
  • Pimenta Morango
  • Pimenta da Neyde
  • Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut
  • Barrackpore & Choco Bhut (just until a few pods ripen)

Back