• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking What cattle do you guys have?

Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to put it, but something that interests me are different breeds of cattle. I'm not sure how to properly translate it, so I'll just break it down; what breeds of walking steak and bacon do you have, what do you feed them and what are your favorites?

To be honest, I do LOVE steak.. but's a bit to expensive for my liking.. and being on a pile of pork isn't really helping either.

We have quite a selection of beef here, some more expensive than others.. A small selection (not in a particular order);

1. Improved red (milk cow bred to have a second life as steak, nice structure, good taste and cheap. Fed with all kinds of cattle food like soy, mais, grass, power food etc). Is quite lean which makes it a bit harder to cook right and tender.
2. Heckrind (a new bred, which is crossed with other breds to try and get the prehistoric cattle back), good taste.. eats herbs, grass and other wild foods (usually grown in nature parks)
3. Angus (black/red), good taste and marbeling, quite expensive compared to other meats.. usually a bit more chewy due to the outdoor life, gives nice steaks..
4. Belgian white/blue, very large bred with very good food to weight ratio (=cheaper meat theoretically, but the reality is the other way around), very neutral and relatively tender meat.
5. Blonde d'Aqetaine, large bred, little flavor.. great for marinated steaks
6. Limousin, large bred.. again little flavor.. good for marinated meat
7. South Devon, large bread with a good flavor, more expensive meat but still affordable.

Pork..

Well, that's more my thing.......

1. Piétrain, a relatively small pig with very lean meat. Outstanding flavor, but a very bad food to weight ratio = expensive meat.
2. Mangalica Wollschwein, a furry pig with very fatty meat. Beats all other breds of pigs when fed with wild mushrooms, nuts (oak, chestnut, beech) and vegetables (beets, cabbage, carrots).
3. Iberico, very good meat but the piglets are WAY to expensive for the amount of food they convert to meat. Should be fed with oak, chestnut.. but usually are given cheap pig food enriched with molasses.
4. Husumer, great meat but expensive piglets.. should be fed with wild foods like mushrooms and nuts, great for ham (not that much meat though)
5. Red Gasconne, great meat.. comparable to a small iberico (more fur but the meat is quite similar to taste).. works great with wild foods aswell.

We also have a lot of different land races like the york, Berkshire and danish.. but they are just big pigs with a high food to weight ratio.. Flavor is quite poor (boring taste..)

If you get the chance to let your pigs walk freely, get starter cultures for wild mushrooms and put them in your wetter areas.. they will prosper and the pigs will love to search for them. Also invest in some D grade peeled chestnuts (cheapest) and collect oaknuts where you can. Those are great treats and will make wonderful meat.

And when your babies are grown.. smoke over apple or cherry : -)

Interesting topic.  I'm a city kid but have heard of black angus & holstiens.  Farmed raised is better than commercial.  Never had kobe but I know it is expensive.

I've had wild boar before and it is lean but I like the flavor.  Will be interesting what more knowledgeable people here will add for input.

Kobe is actually Wagyu (Kobe is a city, therefore it's called kobe beef). It's very nice meat, but I really don't think the flavour/structure is worth the bucks.. Those steaks go for outragious prices, where there are much nicer meats for a lot less $$. I guess it's more a novelty item than real steak. The Holsteins are milk cows, but we have different breds here. Although some of the improved breds like the improved red (dutch: verbeterd roodbont) are quite nice meats for a milk cow. They are made to serve a second life (= $$) as steak. http://www.koppers-quality-cows.de/verbeterd-roodbont The most single purpose milk cows are usually to old to serve any grill purpose. Though they can still make a very nice pörkölt (goulash like stew with roast chuck and roasted bacon, peppers, onions, optional mushrooms etc)

Wild boar is nice, we have a different species than you guys have (I think) and is often hunted here, as there are no natural enemies the populations get out of hand quickly. The mangalica (my favorite) is actually a cross between old pig breds and wild european boars, to get them "winter hardy". That's why they are furry and very fatty.

https://www.google.de/search?q=wildschwein&biw=2133&bih=1009&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SD9dVN6fOo_g7QaRy4G4Bw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=0.9
Wildschwein (wild boar)

https://www.google.de/search?q=wildschwein&biw=2133&bih=1009&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SD9dVN6fOo_g7QaRy4G4Bw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=mangalica+schwein
Mangalica Wollschwein

I do know herefords here, but can't really say I tried them yet. How is the meat? The brahmas are not to be found here as far as I'm aware off. The only Brahmas I had when I was young were chickens.. : -)  But I really like the way those beefwalkers look, they completely look different from european cattle.

Here are some pics of the blonde d'aquitaine, limousin and piemontese (didn't try that last one yet..)
http://www.biefselect.nl/over-bief-select/onze-dieren/

I hope this topic goes somewhere, it's just a pity we can mail eachother steaks or piglets.. that would be something. If anyone ever visits Europe.. make sure to stop by for some ribs sour apple smoked cherry (mangalica) ribs.  

i don't have any Cow's or Pigs but I do Hunt Wild hogs from time to time and We have a nice heard of barbados blackbelly sheep, they to me taste like a cross of deer and beef and I really like how they taste. 

Our Ram. 
lbxE3Bz.jpg

Looks very nice, I'm not really into goat meat but that might just be because we don't really get that much. We have Gämse and Steinbock goats, but you can't just shoot them. They wondered in front of a G36, MG3 and Panzerfaust from time to time though... never shot one.

http://www.natur-portrait.de/images/upload/orig/QlFIBg.jpg
Gams, very shy animals..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/SteinbockGabinten.jpg
Steinbock, those fuckers have a chronical case of PMS... I shit you not. They are incredible climbers though, they even climb dams (like 85 degrees inclimb, just minding their business and eating weeds of the rocks..)

An article on the Steinbock (ibex):
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/11/photogalleries/101101-ibex-goats-dam-italy-bighorn-sheep-wyoming-science/

Apologies.. took it for a goat, but now indeed read it was a sheep. I do like sheep.. just lambs, not mutton.  Besides cattle we have pilsener, and unlike cattle... pilsener does cloud the mind.

(Btw I had wonderful freshly smoked Pastrame in Romania.. salted, smoked sheep.. sliced in ultra thin "scraps".. works great with just about everything)

I'm afraid I can't change that anymore. Maybe an admin can help us out. (I didn't know that, thought it was the proper word for livestock).

livestock, Or walking meat. lol  I have cut my food cost so much and it's so much better then store bought!!  I want cows but only have a small farm and no where to put a whole cow after butchering one.. LOL 

Have you thought about having some friends/neighbours taking a fourth of the cow?   Also lots of kill/ butcher places will take1/4th of your cow and give you 3/4 for there service.  

"head" = 1

oic, sounded like it was the name for a collection/grouping of cattle ...

my 4H experience was writing speeches re OJ, so ...

sicman said:

Have you thought about having some friends/neighbours taking a fourth of the cow?   Also lots of kill/ butcher places will take3/4th of your cow and give you a quarter for there service.  

Yeah I have and have been thinking of it, a friend and I have been thinking about that and he will be growing some more pigs out this winter for us too. :) 

Drop the cow, I think livestock should never grow up alone. People tend to get attached to them far more easily, especially children. If you like pork, try getting your hands on some piétrains or gasconne piglets (if they have them in the US). Those are relatively small breds with premium quality meat. And were cows need to graze, you can put a pig in a pen. If you have 2-4 you have plenty to give a way.

For food, go to your local bakeries, vegetables and fruit sellers and get their left overs for free or atleast very cheap. Important; do not feed dairy products or lots of refined sugars on a Daily basis.. this will give bad fat, really downgrading the good cuts of pork.

Back