What chillies will we be growing 10 years from now?

Guitarman said:
Hope we quit crossing instable crosses with more instable crosses, stick to isolation and classic varieties and let mother nature do its job: maybe we will deal with new, interesting varieties with different characters from the ones we know atm...
Even though i think it will require much more than 10 yrs.

This is the far more concise and direct version of what I was going to say.  I think it's cool that folks are doing their own shade-tree geneticist experiments, but if everyone keeps going with this seat-of-the-pants, trial-n-error approach, at some point, it's going to be hard to acquire true seed for what were once well-established varieties.  

hogleg said:
I hope to still be growing landrace strains and saving seeds from only the best true pods.

That sounds like the wisest approach possible, to me.

Yeah would be nice to always have access to the 'originals'. It's already really difficult to create a grow list when there's so many strains and names of similar if not practically the same varieties. And even then, you can get a cross then get called s different name and so on..

We should learn from the fresh water ornamental fish industry, at least in Australia it is no longer possible or extremely difficult to aquire the native/natural coloration of some species they have been so interbred to create different colours.

Jase4224 said:
Yeah would be nice to always have access to the 'originals'. It's already really difficult to create a grow list when there's so many strains and names of similar if not practically the same varieties. And even then, you can get a cross then get called s different name and so on..

We should learn from the fresh water ornamental fish industry, at least in Australia it is no longer possible or extremely difficult to aquire the native/natural coloration of some species they have been so interbred to create different colours.

Yeah.... good luck finding the wild-type Poecilia reticulata anywhere on Earth.  It's a shame.  I could see that possibly happening with chile peppers, too.... old-time favourites being taken for granted until they disappear entirely.

Guitarman said:
Hope we quit crossing instable crosses with more instable crosses,

Like Orangegum Tiger MAMP?

Noah Yates said:
Orangegum Tiger MAMP
post-7416-0-25613900-1476554504.jpg

I think I would like to see people selecting for plants that will pod up in more variable conditions. For example, chinense's that pod up in hot weather as easily as anuums rather than just dropping flowers.

I got a few seeds from aji omni color x peach bhut and omni color x moa yellow sb. Hoping one of them germinates next spring. Would love to get a super that goes through the color changes like omni color. 

Unfortunatly I didn't find myself with the time or motivation to do very many crosses this year. I still got plenty to stabilize from last year though. 

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

Guitarman, on 05 Nov 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:
Guitarman said:
Hope we quit crossing instable crosses with more instable crosses,

Like Orangegum Tiger MAMP?

Noah Yates, on 15 Oct 2016 - 1:03 PM, said:
Noah Yates said:
Orangegum Tiger MAMP
post-7416-0-25613900-1476554504.jpg
Edited by The_NorthEast_ChileMan, 12 November 2016 - 11:16 AM.

:D
73e6f4406062c6e5e7a630ea51e07b88.jpg

I'm hoping the community can come together and produce a phylogeny with as many peppers as possible. It would be really interesting and very informative and helpful to have all the lineages mapped out :)

Habaneros, bonnets and some superhots for my sauces.... I guess my taste will be a little different in 10 years but I hope peppers will still take a lot of space on the garden :P

Back