• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What do all you growers do with your pods?

There are so many people that post in the growing threads that I never see posts from in the cooking or hot sauce threads. I am just curious what do the rest of you do with all your pods? I'm not really looking for ideas of what to do with mine(I pretty much have that covered), I am more curious as to what you do with yours.

other than makeing extract, i dont use my dried jolokia pods... they are too brutal. all the rest ive grown are given away or stuffed and eaten

edit: terrible grammar

Stir fries with the Thai's, "Pico de Gallo" with Jalapeno's, Serranos, and Habs. Jerk Marinade with the "Bonnets". Hot saucing with the "Super-Hots". Roasting any of the New Mex varieties. This year I ventured more into the dehydrating and smoking. But I still have a sheet load of'em in two freezers.......... :eek:

Greg

I've always had an affinity for chemistry, so I love anything with cooking up new foods. I love making hot sauces, but I have also been on a grand kick with powders lately. I have a bunch of pods drying for a super-hot powder medley at the moment; I just busted a bunch out of the freezer in a change-of-mind to use them for powder instead.

Eat them, give them to friends, pack the freezer full of them for a rainy day (yes, I do have slight hoarder tendencies).... :lol:

I like to make powders with them the most. I keep a few fresh ones in the fridge and also give a lot out to friends and co workers.

gave lots of seedlings out when I had them. From the pods we had last year...pureed a little for self, dried a lot for commercial use, Dried some more for the personal stash~~~

sent some peruvian white pods to a hippyfrest and heard WONDERFUL results, :evil:

We were just thinkin' of sharing-the-lUUUv!

What i can't used for personal consumpion ie Powder, Sauce, Highly dangerous experiments and such gets given away to anyone that i think will use it.
It's all an evil plan to get people to like me before i take over the world. :lol:

What i can't used for personal consumpion ie Powder, Sauce, Highly dangerous experiments and such gets given away to anyone that i think will use it.
It's all an evil plan to get people to like me before i take over the world. :lol:

Damn that was my plan too now I will have to hurry :P I sell small amounts of sause and powder to restaurants as 42kg in my freezer is more then I think I will be able to consume this winter. I give a lot away too it's nice to give.

Just like everything stated above, I like freezing pods.. I can still take a look at them in the winter months and use them in recipes :) Other than that I like making my own concoction of flakes and powders. Nothin like your own homemade chile powder.

The question that hasn't really been answered is.. ( to an extent )
Why the grower doesn't post dinner dish pics, join in the throwdown competition, the drunken chef, etc..

This is just my opinion.. I watch every throwdown, I enjoy it ALOT. I visit the drunken chef frequently and I'd love to post on either.. My problem is simply time.. If I didn't work I'd be posting on both threads every day :) And I wish I could. The 3 slowest months with my job are Jan-March, I hope to try my luck with a throwdown :D

Other than that, when it is go time with growing and pod processing.. Last thing I wanna do is take pictures of what I cooked that night.. another time related issue unfortunately :(

Brandon

most of mine are made into chipotle, powder, or puree and then stocked on the shelf for use in spice mixtures/marinades for this next years cooking...

exploring the subtle nuances of the different flavor profiles of the peppers is exciting...

as a first timer, I confess I may be overwhelmed. But I intend on using around half of them fresh, as a snack, stuffed or salad. Then there's curry pastes and long life sauces. I would like to think I will powder some.

But yeah, because I finally can, fresh :) Until I can't put myself through the pain anymore late season, where I should have a happy BT Scorpion plant - try eating one of those every day.

Freeze for later personal and business use, Powder for use and to send off to friends and others as random gifts. When next season's harvest makes itself known I think I will be making some purees to set back for evil things. :evil:

i sell to restaurants and at the farmer's market, make powder (again for sale at market), make hot sauce (not for sale at market- damn vinegar law), make pepper apple butter and pepper pumpkin butter (again for sale at market), freeze some, and give them to vegan ray.

Back