• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking What do I do with my Butt?

I am smoking a 7# pork butt today, Friday, for pulled pork sandwiches.

I am taking it to a graduation party tomorrow, Saturday.

When I take the butt off the smoker this evening, what is the best method to use to store the butt?

Do I "pull" it tonight?
Do I "pull" it tomorrow?
Do I wrap it in foil and put it in the refrigerator?

What do I do?

Thanks for suggestions.

You good at heat control ?
Do you have good,well seasoned wood?
Do you know 50/50 Salt,Black pepper,heat control of good well seasoned wood will trump the craziest rub mixs?
Your question for serving basically "leftovers" likely wont be well supported(maybe).
Most like myself will get up at 2am to cook and service at 12-1pm,its what it takes to bring the A game of smoked eats.
Run it on heat for 4-5 hrs(250F) pull it and wrap it with some sort of liquid(I like ACV,beer,water,something wet)
Cool it and fridge it
At least 4-5hrs in the oven 275F to 195F internal temp on the thick end(yeah your still up pretty early in the morning for a noon serve)
You race it at higher heat it will crater,no amount of sauce will sway those that know what over cooked chews like

When I cook for folks I put in all the work required to pull it off,start to service,I dont know another way

I would separate the muscles and then pull it after warmed
Left overs are what they are . . . . . .
Holding meat integrity(whole) is the point,retaining is the quest

The Hot Pepper said:
Pull the pork tonight, if you wait till tomorrow the fats will solidify! You need to pull it and tomorrow use a warning tray to heat it up and done.

TNKS said:
You good at heat control ?
Do you have good,well seasoned wood?
Do you know 50/50 Salt,Black pepper,heat control of good well seasoned wood will trump the craziest rub mixs?
Your question for serving basically "leftovers" likely wont be well supported(maybe).
Most like myself will get up at 2am to cook and service at 12-1pm,its what it takes to bring the A game of smoked eats.
Run it on heat for 4-5 hrs(250F) pull it and wrap it with some sort of liquid(I like ACV,beer,water,something wet)
Cool it and fridge it
At least 4-5hrs in the oven 275F to 195F internal temp on the thick end(yeah your still up pretty early in the morning for a noon serve)
You race it at higher heat it will crater,no amount of sauce will sway those that know what over cooked chews like

When I cook for folks I put in all the work required to pull it off,start to service,I dont know another way

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

winland said:
Thanks every one.
Pulling now.

No prob at all. BBQ restaurants aim for their meat to be done at noon and 6, any other time you go it is from the warming tray and just fine.

If you want to ladle BBQ sauce on consider warming it in a pan first, it makes all the difference. ;)

13yrs on the Texas 5 State Smoke run with my wagon
Johnny Trigg was my near neighbor for over 20 yrs till I moved
Smoke showdowns will dust off the best of "kitchen cooks",that TV bullshit is exactly what it is(ask Johnny Trigg) he's been paid,wont be back on TV because its horseshit reality TV.
I paid dearly to cook against Trigg,Nixon and a few others that wonder into Texas Q Territory
Nixon now STAYS in Georgia,Trigg is still banging it out south of Ft Worth Tx (BurlesonTx) and enjoying life

Solid Q is all in how you learn it notice the "LIMITED" Q cook offs from Texas on TV ?
The clear reason stands at face value,we gots game around here

winland said:

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

Back