• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What do you buy and grow and why do you choose that?

I heard from a friend that a lot of his customers are ONLY buying superhots. Which leads me to the question of " What do you grow? What do you buy boxes of? Are they only supers? Are there any low heat varieties? Are there any wilds?And Why do you choose what you have chose?"

I have many supers because I *usually* make a fruit based sauce and put 3-4 supers in a quart of sauce. I also cut them up and pickle them by themselves and with other items. 

Only very recently ( read that as the last two to three months ) have I been interested in lower heat, more flavorful varieties. Those I like to just pop raw. From Brazillian star fish to lemon drops to CGN 21500 to Venezualan tigers etc. I also like to add those to my sauces as it makes not only the flavor profile different but the heat profile as well.

So thats my story. What's yours?

Generally I only purchase superhots. My primary uses for peppers are for sauces, dried and powders. Other than my brother no one else in my family enjoys any sauces I make hotter than a serrano level. So next year I will be growing 75% of my peppers under the 100,000 sku level. I will probably grow a dozen different supehots next season to find out my 2-3 favorites. I'm really liking the flavor of the Baccutums. This year I'm growing the starfish and the bishops. I have an Aji pineapple growing but not sure it will produce by the end of the season as its only a foot tall right now. 

I did supers this year because I'm a newbie, and I wanted to at least once see what they're all about. But I also base my choices on looks, colour and a few I buy because I know they are great for cooking. Next year I want lots of Ajis, but also more annums and pubescence, since this years grow has been dominantly chinense. I guess I'm still just trying things out.

As a newb to pepper growing, I felt the pull to the super hots. It seems a natural gravitation to the most 'intense' as a 'cool' way to start...But having age and wisdom on my side, I've since shook that desire to grow a garden full of different super hots. I want my harvest to be edible to an extent and know full well that even a tiny piece of a super hot will be like rinsing with batter acid for my pallet...and that would be a huge turn off...so....I'll have a few super hots for the novelty of it all and careful experimentation with sauces but will focus more on flavor, ease of growing, production and aesthetics of the plant.

I grow mostly supers because I enjoy heat and after eating spicy foods for so many years my tolerance is higher. Also had planned to sell some peppers and with ghost chile being all over the media and in multiple fast food restaurants many people are interested in them. Most of the time you can go to the grocery store and find jalapeno, thai, serrano, and habanero. No one else I know eats spicy food so no need to grow lower heat peppers. I don't like sweet peppers at all so I don't grow them for myself. I do grow a couple different sweet varieties for my mother and grandmother. If I lived somewhere I could grow all year round I'd be more interested in growing wilds.

The only time I buy boxes of peppers is if it contains something I want to save seeds and grow. If I can't find seeds for a certain variety but someone is selling some pods I'll take the chance and save the seeds and grow them even though most of the time the pods aren't isolated. Some of the cooler things I'm growing this year I got seeds for this way. Also able to taste and see if it's even worth growing.

Just received my first boxes of peppers from Wicked Mike. Expecting another from Coach. I'm a hot pepper newbie, and just want to try out different things. But my opinion is that I should specialize in one kind, and dabble in others. Therefore, I bought a box of MoA SBs from Mike, and one from Coach. After taking the seeds from the good specimens, I'll make a jar of sauce, and mix in some of the other peppers I got from Mike, to see how they mesh... Aji Pineapple, Venezuelan Tiger, Fatali, Devil's Tongue, and Bahamian Goat.

I ate an Aji Pineapple, and got the hot pepper hiccups, while running around yelling "Aww shit!" Needless to say, I was a bit embarrassed to find their scoville is only 20k. And here I promised my son I'd eat a ghost at harvest time. The hottest I've had was a SB. :doh:

Myxlplyk said:
I ate an Aji Pineapple, and got the hot pepper hiccups, while running around yelling "Aww shit!" Needless to say, I was a bit embarrassed to find their scoville is only 20k. And here I promised my son I'd eat a ghost at harvest time. The hottest I've had was a SB. :doh:

I believe us newbies all think 'How hot can it be?'

Myxlplyk said:
Just received my first boxes of peppers from Wicked Mike. Expecting another from Coach. I'm a hot pepper newbie, and just want to try out different things. But my opinion is that I should specialize in one kind, and dabble in others. Therefore, I bought a box of MoA SBs from Mike, and one from Coach. After taking the seeds from the good specimens, I'll make a jar of sauce, and mix in some of the other peppers I got from Mike, to see how they mesh... Aji Pineapple, Venezuelan Tiger, Fatali, Devil's Tongue, and Bahamian Goat.

Do yourself a favor and save the seed of that Venezuelan Tiger. Its an awesome pepper!

I grew some for heat (Reapers, brain strain, brown moruga)
Some for color (yellow bulls horn, yellow brain strain, white bhut)
Some for upward pointing pods (ot hiem)
Some for flavor (bishops hat, brazillian starfish)
Some for the little woman (jalapeno, red bulls heart, bells, pablano)

Lots of reasons for lots of variety.

I grew mostly super hots this year with a few habs and what I bought as scotch bonnets but weren't.  I grow a lot of sheppard's rams horn for roasting.  Couple other random sweet annuums as well.  I like the heat for sauces and powders.  I usually just grow enough that what I make lasts through the year until it is time to make more.  I'm starting a few baccutums and some MoA scotch bonnets for the winter.  Still trying to get a hold of some Bahamian goats.

Back