• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what do you do with extra plants ???

So...its seed starting time - you have a rough idea of what / and how many plants you want to grow, and where to put them

You start germinating seeds but JUST to make sure you germinate 2 or 3 times as many and needed...just incase

A month later you end up with twice as many seedlings as you initally wanted, but cant bring yourself to cull the little darlings

Pop quizz hot shot... What do you do! What do you do ?

If you don't have room you have to cull them if not you get to separate their roots and pot them in different pots.

Haha that is a good question. After I have all I need, I offer to family, friends, coworker, neighbors I don't know, strangers on the side of the road.......:lol: I can't stand to kill them.

I put them in pots and give them to friends at work or relatives that have a green thumb or are ok with the idea of some hot peppers in their homes :)

bennoz said:
So...its seed starting time - you have a rough idea of what / and how many plants you want to grow, and where to put them

You start germinating seeds but JUST to make sure you germinate 2 or 3 times as many and needed...just incase

A month later you end up with twice as many seedlings as you initally wanted, but cant bring yourself to cull the little darlings

Pop quizz hot shot... What do you do! What do you do ?

last year I kept them in their small ass starter pots all summer because I didn't want to kill them. They didn't grow more than 3 inches tall but in my mind they were still alive and well all season. I have the exact same problem this year as well and aside from jjs7741's suggestion I just don't know what to say. it's hard to say goodbye.

I may keep a bunch in 1 gallon pots indoors by some windows and hope for a few extra pods or something. I also may group a few together in the ground and see how it turns out.

I always plant alot of seeds and can never bring myself to kill the plants.
I end up giving to my cousin that usually forgets to take care of them and they die.
At least its off my concience :rofl:

Bennoz, welcome to my world. I am a planting fool, I have WAAAAY more than I have room to plant and I think the dogs would destroy the potted up ones if I left them on the patio. That or the male dog would make them into fire hydrants? LOL I am going to give some away to co workers (they are waiting for them already) and the others I am going to see if I can peddle off at the local Farmer's Market. Maybe you should see if you have a farmer's market near you and make a little cash? :D

Ballzworth said:
I also may group a few together in the ground and see how it turns out.
I like this idea, sort of a pepper cage fight. We could put a Habanero up against a Scorpion, take some bets and let them "Duke it out".:flamethrower:
Who do you like for a match-up? I think we all have a few extra plants, we could post the results, start a chart. Who wants to start this whole thing?

mark :)

I can't intentionally kill them either. I give them away, try to sell a few on Craig's list and this year I'm going to hit the local farmers market and see if I can peddle some there. Worst comes to worst I plant them and let 'em grow!

This is why I have a ton of 5 gallon buckets. I say container, container....container.

BTW, welcome to the club. This is truly an addiction. :lol:

I always grow enough for a couple of friends of mine...I give about 25-50 away, then I try and sell as many as I can...then I grow the rest...like PF says, containers are the way to go if you don't want to dig up your yard with a garden...I kinda like the "Jungle" like appearance all the plants give...I had about 200 at the end of last season that had been transplanted to 3" containers and they got about 2 feet tall and produced pods (although small) until I stopped watering/feeding them in August....then they died but I have to tell you, the pods they produced were just as hot or hotter than the others in 5 gallon containers...

I try not to start too many extra plants anymore, just enough for me, my family and friends. If I do start too many seeds for some reason, I only transplant the number I need and compost the rest. The longer you let them grow, the more you get attached to them, so murder them when they're babies(still talking plants) :)

I try to convince co-workers that chilli plants would look very good on their windowsills, and provide an interesting point of conversation away from the hum-drum of library life...usually works.:cool:

And I'm going to need all that space again this year, it would seem.

Can't keep anything at home, so I'm more of a 'Chilli Stork', delivering plants to unsuspecting parents.

'Noooo! not another unplanned chilli plant!' :P

POTAWIE said:
I try not to start too many extra plants anymore, just enough for me, my family and friends. If I do start too many seeds for some reason, I only transplant the number I need and compost the rest. The longer you let them grow, the more you get attached to them, so murder them when they're babies(still talking plants) :)

LOL, Derek, unless they're deer, right? Then let them grow up so you can make sausage out of them. ;oP Mean ol' Bambi killer.

Back