• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What do you look for in Yogurt to take away the burn of a pepper?

We each have our own opinion which is fine. Now let's talk about refrigerating hot sauce. :lol:

:rolleyes:  :banghead: 

xoxo anyway! 

:lol:

I stand by my wedge of lemon or lime. As far as I know capsaicin is an alkaloid so I neutralize with acid and chug some beer. Works for me.

ding ding ding! yup but I belive in beer so shhhh.

lol the milf would bring pain? cool

the_corrector.jpg

Actually swishing and spitting something 80 proof or better puts the fire out pretty damn quick
Key point is what ever your using,DONT SWALLOW it,rinse and repeat simplicity.
Jeff H said:

So drink some turpentine?

2 ways to get rid of capsaicin - get it to partition into something it`s very soluble in and knock it off the receptor. That`s it. 

As someone above mentioned, capsaicin is an oil and therefore fat soluble. It`s also alcohol soluble, as well as other organic solvents you do NOT want to try, like gasoline, LOL. Another way of making fats soluble in water-based solution is to emulsify them. You can use detergents, but Casein and Whey proteins also work reasonably well, i.e. milk proteins. 

In my experience full fat milk is crap at getting rid of high levels of capsaicin. It`s Ok with habaneros, but just doesn`t work very well with anything hotter for more than 2 minutes. In addition, milk + superhots gives me horrible capsaicin cramps, so I avoid it like the plague. A quick note about that, to stop cramps you need to keep the caspasicin soluble in your stomach and not let it bind to the receptors that are in the stomach wall. Those communicate pain and cause muscle cramps to aid with vomiting the "poison" out of your system. Milk proteins and the 4% fat don`t really stop that. 

Ok, what can you do? Mouth rinse with pure oil works, I use olive oil if I want to do that, as I like the taste. Similarly, drinking a few tablespoonfuls of pure oil helps a great deal in the stomach. You can rinse with 80 proof alcohol, but it does cause an initial elevation of the pain in your mouth and doesn`t help in the stomach. If anything it makes cramps more likely. And seriously, who`s going to spit out 80 proof alcohol? that shit`s expensive, LMAO.

The other approach is to knock the capsaicin off it`s receptor, thereby stopping the response. Sugar solutions do this, as sucrose is competitive with capsaicin at the receptor (thank you Wilbur Scoville!). So is aspartame. It`s why you can only get jams and jellies to be a certain heat and then nothing more. I once made Douglah jam with 51 pods in 2 pints of jam. It was hot, but not 51-douglah hot by any stretch. Too much sugar to compete with the capsaicin.

Acidic solutions force the capsaicin to bind "tighter" to the receptor, so while soda does create temporary relief, because of the sugar or artificial sweeteners and temperature, it isn`t the solution to the problem. On the other hand, alkali knocks capsaicin off the receptor quite well, so if you make a concentrated solution of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and rinse with that you get better relief. It tastes absolutely disgusting. You need to do it a few times for 1 minute or so, then rinse with an oil to get rid of the capsaicin left in your mouth. 

Some stomach pains you feel like you need to go to the hospital, usually from extracts but also from superhots. So good info.

I even had arm numbness once and the extreme cramps.

Back