• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting What do you use for mash starter?

Been thinking about making some mash and reading up on it. Turns out everyone uses something different for starter so I thought I'd ask you all witch starter(s) you use to make your mash. Any advice for a first timer is also appreciated

Edit Added salt to poll

peppers and salt is the bare minimum. from there you can add cabbage, kefir, fresh sauerkraut or kimchee to jumpstart the action.

I tried a batch with cabbage leaves and no salt. Didn't turn out. I'll try to find the thread.

Dave, just do a search on here for "mash" as there are several threads in different topics. Sorry I didn't vote as I haven't had what I would consider a successful batch yet.

and Welcome! :welcome:

SL

Hi Dave,

You may have read my 1st post, 1st mask kicking off, and here I first tried fresh sauerkraut. Nothing happened. I added cabbage twice. Nothing. In the whole batch, I had 6 (scotch bonnet) weight percent of salt added.
My second batch, used simply cabbage with the 6% salt, and seems to give excellent results. I have a feeling that it may be the temperature that plays a role. My 1st batch I made in February, at a temp of about 64 degrees (18 C), whereas for my 2nd batch I have upper 70ies.
If you don't see any gas bubbling, I would recommend not to give up. That is what I did, and although I did not see any fermentation, the smell turned sour after some weeks. And, what I produced after 6 months is excellent quality.
If I can draw a parallel with sourdough starter. The effect of temperature on sourdough starter is as follows. For temps of 20-25 C (68 - 77 degrees) the production of acetic acid is more pronounced, which gives it a stronger, more sour smell/taste. For temps above 32 C (90 degrees), you get lactic acid. For lower temps, there is little acid production.

kefir is similar to yogurt. It has friendly bacteria in it and apparently you can get kefir grains which can be used to make home-made kefir (think homemade yogurt). The kefir grains contain the beneficial bacteria and has been used as a starter for mashes.

I've used kefir, just salt, and I even tried bactoferm ( meat fermenting bacteria)
I think my best results were with the kefir but I've realised that I'm not really all that big on the flavor of mashes and usually prefer sweeter fresher tasting sauces. I'm going to try a cayenne mash soon just as a way to get rid of a couple hundred pods and I think I might try to collect my own lactobacillus for this one, sort of bokashi style

Back