• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer What Fertilizers do y'all use?

So I've been growing peppers and other plants for several years now and this year I'm thinking about expanding my use of fertilizers. I only ever use cow manure and nothing else as fertilizer though I'm willing to open up to new ones as my plants aren't doing all that great.

What fertilizers do y'all use? I prefer organic organizers as I don't like the idea of chemicals in the vegetables I eat, do y'all know of any? Thanks!

watch out for that dihydrogen monoxide.

anyway, earth worm castings(EWC) are pretty popular, people do worm farms with their kitchen compost.
Then you can also make compost tea out of it, there is a big thread on that.

backyardpepper said:
So I've been growing peppers and other plants for several years now and this year I'm thinking about expanding my use of fertilizers. I only ever use cow manure and nothing else as fertilizer though I'm willing to open up to new ones as my plants aren't doing all that great.

What fertilizers do y'all use? I prefer organic organizers as I don't like the idea of chemicals in the vegetables I eat, do y'all know of any? Thanks!

Well if you ever change your mind, I use....

fe-dgap_1.jpg
91Do4PJdVdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Alaska fish and some different brands of liquid seaweed throughout the year, but I start with blood meal, bone meal, crab shell, humic acid, hardwood ash, kelp meal, and some mycorrhizae, all tilled in a month or so before plantout.

I use:    Nitro Bat Guano, worm castings, blood meal, bone meal, Alaska micronutrients, Potassium Sulfate, and mycorrhizae when transplanting.   Wanting to try Azomite soon.

SentencedToBurn said:
Hey man yeah quite a lot with my older containers, I had to make a mixer to go on the end of my drill to try break it all down. It's a pain for sure

Sometime ago I read it was the sodium chloride separating in,DYNA-GRO Advanced Science Sipllified... I just leave it as is because  that URL states, "Sodium is actually one of the more abundant elements on the Earth’s crust.".... So if theres already an abundance it shouldn't need more, right? ;) 

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

Well if you ever change your mind, I use....

Hey NorthEast_ChileMan. I just started using dynagro foliage pro at every feeding for my peppers in potting mix (with added perlite). Do you use potting mix and if so, do you pH the nutrients before feeding your plants?

It's hard to tell if it would be necessary because they claim it has a pH buffer in it but I'm assuming the pH would be buffered differently depending on how much nutrient is being added to the water.

The potting mix I'm using also has lime in it which should help buffer but I can't help but wonder if I should pH it to a specific amount or just mix tap water with foliage pro and water the peppers straight away.

thanks  so much

SuburbanFowl said:
Hey NorthEast_ChileMan. I just started using dynagro foliage pro at every feeding for my peppers in potting mix (with added perlite). Do you use potting mix and if so, do you pH the nutrients before feeding your plants?

It's hard to tell if it would be necessary because they claim it has a pH buffer in it but I'm assuming the pH would be buffered differently depending on how much nutrient is being added to the water.

The potting mix I'm using also has lime in it which should help buffer but I can't help but wonder if I should pH it to a specific amount or just mix tap water with foliage pro and water the peppers straight away.

thanks  so much

To be honest I never monitored pH when growing in soil and media, only when using DWC, I've usually had very good success so I can't comment other than I've been lucky or it's not important for my growing style (Or maybe I would have had better production, who knows?). My use of Dyna-Gro is basically 1/4 - 1/3 recommended rate at every other watering. I would note I use a - wait until media very dry (bucket very light to lift.) then deep bottom watering (Bucket put in kidde pool , soaking until bucket heavy.)

Others here are advocates, MikeUSMC & solid7 come to mind, and they've had great success too.  Good luck!

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Great combination and easy to find usually. Just about every place around here has the emulsion and gallons are cheap. Use the pellets when its raining a lot.
i grow in containers mostly and what i do is mix the pellets into the potting soil when i plant in the spring. 2 months later i mix more pellets into the top inch of soil and use the liquid fish to fertilize here and there when i remember. i don`t add it often, maybe twice a season. 

Hey, Mr. daSauce, I hear you about using Alaska fish fertilizer indoors, especially in close quarters living space. I found out the hard way. Found out why the label says “Do not store mixed solution “. I used some mixed up for about a week, it could gag a maggot off a gut truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solid7 said:

I like CNS17 grow a little better, but I'd never give a downvote to Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro.
Just looked it up, doesnt seem we get it down our ways, only NA and UK. Will keep an eye out though you never know if someone here imports it. Always good to try new stuff.

Back