• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum What is the best tasting annuum ?

My personal favorite for flavor is the humble poblano with its mild heat and great flavor that virtually anyone can eat and enjoy. That is why the poblano features in so many of my hybrids. Next in line is the common jalapeno. There is a reason, in my mind at least, that those two are some of the most common peppers found.

With that being said, I also love diversity... but you asked for favorite annuum and for me it is the poblano.

I have bags of frozen stuffed red & brown poblanos in the freezer.

My question to anyone who knows.
I bought what I thought were poblanos from super seeds that would ripen Red & 3 plants did while one plants pods turned brown.

On more than one Pepper seed seller they describe their Poblanos turning red or Brown.
I thought the Mulato Isleno pepper was the brown poblano. What's up?

Not quite sure what you're asking?
As I understand it, mulato = dried brown poblano, ancho = dried red poblano. I've read that mulato or ancho is determined after drying.

I had a similar thing happen with my poblanos last year - some ended up much darker than the others.

They shouldn't ripen "red or brown." That suggests they aren't stabilized as it indicates the random presence of the recessive cl mutation.

As I understand it, poblano should ripen red, unless a brown color is specified in the name, e.g., Chocolate Poblano. I'm used to "poblano" referring to the pepper when harvested green and "ancho" meaning the dried red-ripe pepper. I think there's some overlap in whether a fresh (undried) red-ripe poblano is referred to as such or as an "ancho." I've also heard brown types of poblano referred to an "ancho" when dried.

Mulato Isleño ripen brown. The ones I grow are from this source and I'm a big fan of both the pods and the growth habit of the plant.

I have bags of frozen stuffed red & brown poblanos in the freezer.

My question to anyone who knows.
I bought what I thought were poblanos from super seeds that would ripen Red & 3 plants did while one plants pods turned brown.

On more than one Pepper seed seller they describe their Poblanos turning red or Brown.
I thought the Mulato Isleno pepper was the brown poblano. What's up?

Ancho L, Don Matias, and a few other poblano ripen to brown. Brown is the result of a recessive stay green gene. A few of my variegated Poblano creations have that gene in them as I utilized several different brown poblano in the making of some of my newer creations.

They shouldn't ripen "red or brown." That suggests they aren't stabilized as it indicates the random presence of the recessive cl mutation.

As I understand it, poblano should ripen red, unless a brown color is specified in the name, e.g., Chocolate Poblano. I'm used to "poblano" referring to the pepper when harvested green and "ancho" meaning the dried red-ripe pepper. I think there's some overlap in whether a fresh (undried) red-ripe poblano is referred to as such or as an "ancho." I've also heard brown types of poblano referred to an "ancho" when dried.

Mulato Isleño ripen brown. The ones I grow are from this source and I'm a big fan of both the pods and the growth habit of the plant.

Well this changes everything... https://www.chileplants.com/poblano-pepper-plants.aspx

I see a red Poblano & a Brown Poblano being grown & used. I need heirloom seed for both.
It's in Spanish, however I believe most can follow the journey making Mole Negro.

Reactions: Bou
Wow! That page is sure a deep-dive into poblano variations! I had always (somewhat) assumed that when I saw "ancho" in the name of the variety it might be an indication that the variety was intended or well-suited to use as an ancho versus as a green poblano. It seems reasonable to me that certain varieties might be their best green versus red or vice versa. But then again, marketing!

Wow! That page is sure a deep-dive into poblano variations!
No kidding.
I never realized that so may Heirlooms have disappeared.

Hybrid's are fun to do, however I am seeking to obtain as many Mexican Heirlooms to grow & enjoy.
I see now that using many seed merchants for finding these old varieties of seeds may no longer be possible.

Just had some questions, won't highjack the thread.

I'm telling people, these Ac Kil biber are beyond tasty I discovered this year from one of my local farmers. Her husband is from Turkey and he brought the seeds over. They harvest and eat them green in Turkey, I prefer red. They have a smokey flavor like Korean chiles do.
We tried the sweet one, Tatli Kil Biber this year.. One of my new garden friends had extra seedlings. No heat, but a nice sweet flavor to them! Not as sweet as either Amish Hot Finger or Judy's Sugar Cane PL. They were decent green though, which I can't say as much of the AHF or JSC, but I also thought these were better red. I didn't get my hand-offs until late in the season, so I didn't get to see just how productive they could be. I noticed that hot version when I was looking them up..
How would you compare the heat of those to other typical hot annuum?

We tried the sweet one, Tatli Kil Biber this year.. One of my new garden friends had extra seedlings. No heat, but a nice sweet flavor to them! Not as sweet as either Amish Hot Finger or Judy's Sugar Cane PL. They were decent green though, which I can't say as much of the AHF or JSC, but I also thought these were better red. I didn't get my hand-offs until late in the season, so I didn't get to see just how productive they could be. I noticed that hot version when I was looking them up..
How would you compare the heat of those to other typical hot annuum?
I'd say they are hotter then a jalapeño, around Serrano level heat.

Back