• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what is the best tasting chocolate hot pepper?

Just got some chocolate brains from Cappy - very nice indeed. But I don't think there's a "best." Too subjective and many work better in different applications (sauce, fresh, powdered, smoked, salsa ...). I also like choc hab, bhur, moruga. I've also got a chocolate fatalii x red savina that's really good.

I don't like that typical soapy/floral/fruity chinense taste/smell and much prefer dry (someone would say bitter?) finish like in red nagas/bhuts.
That said i find Brown Moruga and Black Naga really nice for both taste and brutal heat. I'm now hunting a decent Douglah representative (too much hybrids floating...).

Cya

Datil

poypoyking said:
Black Congo is my current favorite, followed by Chocolate Bhut and Chocolate Habanero.
I grew "Congo black" last year for the first time, and they were exactly like (in every way) the Choco Habs I have grown many times. I actually great them side by side last year. How do yours differ from Choco habs, and where did you get your seeds? I got my Congo black seeds in a trade from a member here that I haven't seen post for a long time now.

jedisushi06 said:
i agree it;s very sweet up front.   CHoolate mourga is very bitter
You must have tried a bad pod? The one I tried didnt have hardly any bitterness to it and more of a sweet flavor.

I've had chocolate:
Habs makes a great mello chocolate powder
Douglah unique taste and very good
Scorpion plain tasting
Moruga scorpion plain tasting and a bit bitter
Bhutlah really hot and very good tasting
Brain strain really good taste
Bhut Jolokia fairly hot but with a slight bitter after taste
If the Fatalii tastes anything like the yellow, I have to try that. Also, as I said, I want to try the primo. Sounds like I need to try this Jamaican. On Douglahs, for those who have tried them from different sources, how do they vary? One thing I have learned is the more different peppers of the same type you try, the more variation you will taste. So when I try one I don't like, I won't totally write off that type. The Bhutlah I had last week tasted a little bitter but I have over 60 plants to sample pods of. One plant even put out red pods, so there will obviously be some variation. All I need to find is just one really good one to start the next generation and/or clone if needed.

muskymojo said:
I grew "Congo black" last year for the first time, and they were exactly like (in every way) the Choco Habs I have grown many times. I actually great them side by side last year. How do yours differ from Choco habs, and where did you get your seeds? I got my Congo black seeds in a trade from a member here that I haven't seen post for a long time now.

I got mine from Pepperlover.  If my plants bounce back enough to where I get some peppers I'd be happy to get you some pods to try.

Ive also tried Stephen Canaday's (Ignite) Kraken Scorp which is of the chocolate or brown color and it had a very nice clean taste to it, unlike many other chocolate or brown supers

It's interesting, we had a Bhutlah last night from a different plant and it didn't taste at all bitter like the one we had last week. It actually tasted really good. It just goes to show you don't write off a certain pepper, just because you didn't like the taste of that one pod.

Brown moruga. Nothing else comes close. Unique fruity taste + hot. Addictive to the point of not being able to stop eating, all while being punished immensely.

My favorite sauce I made last year was from brown fatali  peppers. I'm growing Chocolate Habs and Brown Fatali's this year so I will see which sauce and peppers I like the best. 

At this moment it is the chocolate brain strain. Before that it was the brown moruga with the chocolate hab being a close runner up.

Have also tried Judy's chocolate bhutlah, Wes's naga x congo, douglah, black naga, chocolate 7 pot rennie, chocolate scorpion and chocolate fatalii. These all have slightly different flavors and heat profiles. Some have a bitterness to them when eaten fresh, but end up making wonderful powders.

I'm looking forward to trying some new ones this year if I get ripe pods before end of season... mainly the chocolate BBG7, chocolate douglah x butch-t, and sepia serpent.

I am not sure if this is just for super hots.

For flavor... JHC easily.  Not the hottest, but the most complex awesome flavor of a brown CHinense without getting bitter.  
Annuam - Passilla easily.  Very complex flavor.  Earthy, undertone of nuttiness, a bit of heat (not much).

I am growing Ethiopian Brown this year.  We shall see how it does.

DocHolliday said:
Brown moruga. Nothing else comes close. Unique fruity taste + hot. Addictive to the point of not being able to stop eating, all while being punished immensely.
That's what I'm hoping. Got a few Brown Moruga's growing now but still in the green stage. I like the chocolate hab, that variety squeezed out all but one of my orange habs.

Back