• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is the hottest pepper you have found for sale locally?

The regular orange habanero is about the hottest you can find around here. And even that is not available at some stores (*ahem* Wal-Mart, I'm pointing at you...). What's ironic is that, while Wal-Mart apparently believes that their customers are too pathetic to handle a habanero and therefore sell no fresh fruit, they apparently have no problem selling live habanero plants at the beginning of the growing season (Bonnie Plants brand). Hypocrisy?

Typically, the ones you're almost guaranteed to find are bell, banana, anaheim, poblano, and jalapenos. And often in bad, shriveled condition (especially the habs if there are any). And as if finding decent, fresh peppers around here wasn't bad enough, the jalapenos from the local Giant Eagle suck ass; they have very little noticeable heat (even the ones from Wal-Mart are hotter).

Well I went back to Norby's today hoping they still had the little beauties and guess what??? They are now mine, cost me 6.47 for both plants. I am so happy now, I have 7 Bhuts growing, would be 8, but I am giving one to my boss' step son cause he is a crazy nut like me.
The tag is pretty cool, says it is twice as hot as the previous record holder and has a warning about handling the peppers and touching "sensitive areas" of the body. LOL

Matt, did I get seeds from you?
Yes Dark, you did. I sent you Scorpion CARDI seeds and I think some Bhut seeds, how are they doing???

Here in Auckland, if you go to the markets you can get many different asian chillies including bhut's all thanks to our hugely multi cultured city. as for super markets... "green" or "red" chillies are all that's on offer. plants though, we can get a hold of red savina.

The place I work at sells dried chillies with Bhut's being the hottest, as far as freshgoes Scotch Bonnet are the hottest I've seen and the place that sold them was shut down by the council. I think there are other places that sell them as well though.

The hottest where I live were habaneros until I started selling my plants this year. Kind of the reason I started growing.

Yes Dark, you did. I sent you Scorpion CARDI seeds and I think some Bhut seeds, how are they doing???

They are chugging along, I dont think I got Bhut from you but the CARDI are 9 for 9 germinated. One is in a hydro bucket and the others are just plodding along slowly.

Here is a thread I posted about them: http://www.thehotpepper.com/index.php?/topic/16247-dirt-to-hydro-question/page__p__347820__fromsearch__1#entry347820

http://www.thehotpepper.com/index.php?/topic/16208-cardi-seedlings/page__p__346916__fromsearch__1#entry346916

I found a few Bhut plants at a local nursery yesterday. They were on sale for $1.50 each. I already had one planted that I grew from seed, but I couldn't resist getting another one just because it was there.

Alan

At the mainstream supermarkets all I can seem to find are Habaneros from the Dominican Rebuplic. They are in pitiful condition, as most of them have mold growing on them. This is the main reason I want to grow my own.

As far as plants go, the hottest I've seen are the Bonnie Orange Habaneros at your common big box stores and local nursuries.

There are a lot of asian markets around town though, and I've been meaning to check them out to see what they have to offer.

Yellow Habanero's look like mush and green Jalapeno looked really great = No heat kind of like bell pepper. Have seen Hawaiian Kona Red plants at home depot. have two growing didn't buy.

Back