• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is this?

Here's the pics;

Prob-1.jpg

Prob-2.jpg

Same pod, both sides.
First, it's not rot; I sliced straight through it and the insides look fine as you can see;

Prob-3.jpg

Prob-4.jpg

Flavor and heat are right on as well.
Just one plant is having a problem with this and it's just coming out of a major leaf distortion. All of the new leaf growth is normal. The same thing happened to one plant in the garden which is now looking terrific and putting out perfect, beautiful pods.
This is a real head scratcher for me. Cheers.

I've just spent an hour on the web searching for an answer and zip, zero, nada.
Sure hope somebody out there has an answer.

Is it happenning before the pods are ripe of after ?
Because i have a few pods on my lemon drop that got some sun tan and keep it a little after turning yellow, which makes some irregular light purple areas.

lemondropsuntan.jpg

It looks like more purple than on your pods, but maybe the pod color has something to do with it.

A disease only on the pod skin seems strange, but i don't know a lot about peppers' diseases.
Another guess is that it could be a difference in available nutrients, or a different metabolism (i'm thinking about some differences in hormones or genes expression because you said the plant had got some physiological problems).

Yep, just a suntan; a pod's way of using pigmentation to protect itself from the suns rays. Nothing to fret about and much better than the alternate malady, sun scald. Not all pods are shaded by the leaf canopy from the harsh rays and this is the result if you're lucky. :)

Is it happenning before the pods are ripe of after ?
Because i have a few pods on my lemon drop that got some sun tan and keep it a little after turning yellow, which makes some irregular light purple areas.

lemondropsuntan.jpg

It looks like more purple than on your pods, but maybe the pod color has something to do with it.

A disease only on the pod skin seems strange, but i don't know a lot about peppers' diseases.
Another guess is that it could be a difference in available nutrients, or a different metabolism (i'm thinking about some differences in hormones or genes expression because you said the plant had got some physiological problems).

This begins while the pods are green. It seems to be worse on the one plant. The pods on the other plants have minimal blemishes.

Yep, just a suntan; a pod's way of using pigmentation to protect itself from the suns rays. Nothing to fret about and much better than the alternate malady, sun scald. Not all pods are shaded by the leaf canopy from the harsh rays and this is the result if you're lucky. :)

Well, the affected areas really aren't in the sun because as you can see it's the bottom half of the pod; not the shoulder area (which is normally where I've seen sun scald). And it's happening on pods way down towards the bottom branches. Sign me confused.

Yeah, well I've seen pods side by side with the same sun exposure and one would display the purple tan, while the other would show normal coloration and yes, the purple often starts on a green pod. Chalk it up to pod variance. :)

Yeah, well I've seen pods side by side with the same sun exposure and one would display the purple tan, while the other would show normal coloration and yes, the purple often starts on a green pod. Chalk it up to pod variance. :)

Okay, it doesn't affect the heat or taste and it looks just fine on the inside, so I'm good to go. Thanks SS. Cheers.

Back