• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What is your favorite Cayenne?

JJJessee said:
I don't care how they taste.

9Rhqhc1l.jpg

I'll grow these next year because they look so badass.

PS: that spelling may be off a letter or two and 2/24/14 should be 6/24/14

I agree, those are bad ass looking.  I have to admit, I've grown some peppers not because I loved the flavor but I just loved the LOOKS.... :!:       Plan on doing that with some Black Cobra next go around.  Course, I've never tried them.   We'll see.

I have had good luck with cayenne's over the past few years. Not sure what variety, the starter plants were picked up from Wal-Mart, label just says Hot Cayenne. Pretty tasty and a few were pretty hot when red, although I ate a lot of them when green. This year I'm trying the 'Ring-O-Fire' Cayenne. This plant seems pretty hearty and has pods that are just starting to ripen. Looking forward to some fresh pods soon.

Sri Lanka MI-2: http://www.agridept.gov.lk/index.php/en/crop-recommendations/1470

Great looking, and nice photo (I like and Liked it); are they Cayennes?  (Maybe they're better than Cayennes.)

Does kind of beg the question, doesn't it, what constitutes a Cayenne?  Must the pods be long?  Four inches?

Are there seven-inch or longer, slender annuums that are not Cayennes?

According to both a Jean Andrews book and an article I've read this year, the powder sold as "Cayenne" comes from a variety of chile types, including undisclosed, non-Cayenne pods. 

I have several envelopes of seeds named after the people or places the pods came from: "Mississippi-market longs", "Jaime long orange", etc.  

2mpyg41.jpg

(Ebenezer or Ichabod would have to work to have a longer, gnarlier finger than these.)

Maybe I should be calling all of those "Cayennes"; I've sort of been awaiting a definition, but there may not be one. 

My first purple "Cayenne" pods don't look to be true to type . . . if purple Cayennes are supposed to be long and slender. 

2vx0qgy.jpg

One tasted at this stage was vegetal, thin-walled, and lacking in heat.

As pods ripen, we can continue to taste, revisit the thread, and compare notes on favourites.

I get a cayenne from a local nursery that is labeled "large thick red cayenne". I'm not sure its actual name. It smells pretty pungent but adds real good flavor to dishes when chopped up and added. I also dry a bunch of it to make into hot paprika. It isn't real hot, prolly around 30k, but i save seeds every year and use it more than any other pepper.

Spicy Mushroom said:
I haven't grown or tasted many cayenne varieties. This year I am growing 'Yellow Cayenne'. It's both hotter and thicker walled than the ones I had previously grown. Definitely gets my vote so far. It was also my first plant to sport a ripe pod. Even beat the Fresno.

Cool! I've got a couple flowering at the moment. Look forward to trying them as I've read a few other good reviews.

JJJessee said:
I don't care how they taste.

9Rhqhc1l.jpg

I'll grow these next year because they look so badass.

PS: that spelling may be off a letter or two and 2/24/14 should be 6/24/14

Those look wicked! I'd dry 'em and sting 'em up by the stem in my kitchen. Great shape on those bad boys.

HigherThisHeat said:
I also have an African zimbabwe birdseye pepper plant. Those little things are awesome. Twice as hot as Cayenne and better flavor.

Quite the tedious task though is picking them

Think I'll add these and the Peri peries to next years list if I can find 'em in the fall.

gfinnil said:
I had a regular cayenne that was worthless last year (5 pods, bitter taste). This year I have a Ring of Fire that I grew from seed that is podding up nicely...will let you know how it tastes once ripe.
Jerry

I grew these last year and they made a nice powder. Bought a few starts from the nursery this year as well. I added it and a Thai powder to my egg sandwiches all winter. Found them to be slightly thicker and stouter than the long cayennes. Preferred their flavour as well.

swellcat said:
Sri Lanka MI-2: http://www.agridept.gov.lk/index.php/en/crop-recommendations/1470

Great looking, and nice photo (I like and Liked it); are they Cayennes?  (Maybe they're better than Cayennes.)

Does kind of beg the question, doesn't it, what constitutes a Cayenne?  Must the pods be long?  Four inches?

Are there seven-inch or longer, slender annuums that are not Cayennes?

According to both a Jean Andrews book and an article I've read this year, the powder sold as "Cayenne" comes from a variety of chile types, including undisclosed, non-Cayenne pods. 

I have several envelopes of seeds named after the people or places the pods came from: "Mississippi-market longs", "Jaime long orange", etc.  

2mpyg41.jpg

(Ebenezer or Ichabod would have to work to have a longer, gnarlier finger than these.)

Maybe I should be calling all of those "Cayennes"; I've sort of been awaiting a definition, but there may not be one. 

I have thought the Cayenne was definable by the squiggly acordian-ish top of the pod, no?

I can't believe what I'm hearing here! Where's all this hate for the cayenne coming from! I don't know what any of y'all consider regular cayenne, I know there are dozens of cayenne types. I can tell you that my first experience with hot peppers is when I lived in new Orleans as a child (well Jefferson parish anyway) the neighbors had Cayennes growing that were delicious, when she would boil up a creel full o' shrimp and crabs and crawfish with a bunch of fresh cayenne peppers And red potatoes! Damn it man that was tasty! Now admittedly, there are some dilapidated varieties just like w/ the orange hab, but certainly don't pit down all Cayennes, I think many of the Indian varieties, jwala, aci sevari, dagger pod, as well as Indonesian types are Delicious! If peppers don't taste good, I usually blame the conditions in which they are grown( although green bells do have the most boring of all the pepper flavors npo matter who grows them and how they are grown!

I have thought the Cayenne was definable by the squiggly, acordion-ish top of the pod, no?

Well, I don't know.  That does seem to be a common trait in these long pods but not universal with some marketed as Cayennes.

For length, Paul W. Bosland and  Eric J. Votava in Peppers: Vegetable and Spice Capsicums are identifying Cayenne pods as 13–25cm, over five to almost 10 inches.  I don't know if that is definitive, either, but where does a long Thai become a short Cayenne?

chile_freak said:
I can't believe what I'm hearing here! Where's all this hate for the cayenne coming from! I don't know what any of y'all consider regular cayenne, I know there are dozens of cayenne types. I can tell you that my first experience with hot peppers is when I lived in new Orleans as a child (well Jefferson parish anyway) the neighbors had Cayennes growing that were delicious, when she would boil up a creel full o' shrimp and crabs and crawfish with a bunch of fresh cayenne peppers And red potatoes! Damn it man that was tasty! Now admittedly, there are some dilapidated varieties just like w/ the orange hab, but certainly don't pit down all Cayennes, I think many of the Indian varieties, jwala, aci sevari, dagger pod, as well as Indonesian types are Delicious! If peppers don't taste good, I usually blame the conditions in which they are grown( although green bells do have the most boring of all the pepper flavors npo matter who grows them and how they are grown!
I use green bell pepper in my Italian spaghetti sauces that cook for several hours on low heat and its part of the holy trinity in cajun cooking. I love making cajun cuisine and those bells impart some great flavor.

Streamer said:
It would seem that the Universal Constant has finally come in to play here.  

One man's trash is another man's treasure.    :think: 
Indeed. Also stuffed green bell peppers are pretty tasty  :drooling:

SavinaRed said:
I use green bell pepper in my Italian spaghetti sauces that cook for several hours on low heat and its part of the holy trinity in cajun cooking. I love making cajun cuisine and those bells impart some great flavor.
yes I know all about the Cajun trinity, I was being fececious, complaining about putting down one variety and then turning around and putting down another variety! I grow bells every year too! I often have to explain my sense of humor, its a little weird I guess!

chile_freak said:
yes I know all about the Cajun trinity, I was being fececious, complaining about putting down one variety and then turning around and putting down another variety! I grow bells every year too! I often have to explain my sense of humor, its a little weird I guess!
No problem ! The funny thing is I'm growing reds,yellows,orange bells but no greens this year. Our local stores have the greens so cheap so I figured I would just buy them when I need a few for a dish.

These are my two scraggly looking cayenne's. Only growing on the request of the lil lady.

I left them in the 4" pots and had JUST potted them up the other day. I'm expecting them to grow a bunch more over the season. The green pods weren't too bad for heat. More or less tasted like a green bell with Jalapeño heat. I've got two ripening up now so I guess I'll find out how they compare when red.

Neil

I have to say, I tried a Kung Pao the other day, and I was really impressed with the flavor. It was quite a surprise as to how unique and delicious it is. I highly recommend it.

Well I suppose there are Cayennes, and then there are Cayenne-type! My favorite Cayenne-types are  the Indian varieities "Jwala" and "Aruna" for using green, and if you consider "De arbol" a Cayenne-type I like them for drying ripe.

i have red, large reds and golden Cays.    Goldens were first to produce in the entire garden this year.   I dry some for powder, save seeds and use fresh for salsa.

Back