• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite What is your favorite Cayenne?

i like the "joe's long" (i got from buckeye not joe) and Kung pao.. I haven't been able to try the golden / yellow yet.

i like cayene because they are prolific and are a good "warm up" for us chile heads and its not too hot for non-chileheads.
IMG_20140628_231547.jpg

I've grown joes long and ring of fire. Both have been early to produce and tasty too.
Ring of fire was hotter and tastier but joes long is fun to grow because they can get really long :)

This is the recipe...very basic. I use this base for almost all my hot sauces and it never disappoints. I used more peppers than he did and the color was more red.

I use my cayenne peppers for hot sauce as well. The recipe I use is very similar, I think it is a good base and you can kick up the heat by mixing in some hotter peppers as well.

I grow Purple, Golden Cayenne this year as a novelty.  I prefer Kung Pao pepper to red Cayenne and I usually use Thai peppers of Kung Pao in place of any recipe that calls for cayenne. 

No votes for hot Portugal?

This afternoon, I pulled a pod with that label.  The chile was turning orange, and it may have been drying on the vine in the 100°F temperatures . . . (even watered twice a day and in the partial shade).

Breaking open the pod released some of what I think of as that Capsicum annuum capsaicin smell.  A small bite from the center of the pod first gave up some sweetness.  A few seconds later, it felt something like the inhabitants of a wasp nest had buried their rear ends in the tip of my tongue.  Quite the attention getter.

2iv1ap5.jpg

Hot Portugal                                                      12 July 2014

Buzzman19 said:
I prefer Kung Pao pepper to red Cayenne and I usually use Thai peppers of Kung Pao in place of any recipe that calls for cayenne. 

Same here.
This is the 2nd year I've grown Kung Pao, and it forms a fairly large dense bush that is packed with pods. A truly excellent producer.
To my pallet, they are a bit more floral tasting than typical Cayennes (like Thai chilies), and are also a bit hotter.

So my "golden cayenne" is fruiting but the pods are growing upside down like a Thai chili...making it a golden thai chili of some sort. Yay Lowes! Actually, I don't have any confidence that the pods will be yellow. We shall see I guess.

Say, does anyone have any Charleston Hot cayenne pepper seeds I can do a sasbe with?  I could hook you with some Butch-T seeds.

hot stuff said:
Say, does anyone have any Charleston Hot cayenne pepper seeds I can do a sasbe with?  I could hook you with some Butch-T seeds.
I am growing Cobra cayenne and Island Hellfire cayenne this year. Would be glad to send some seeds out to you after I get a few ripe pods.

tctenten said:
tctenten, on 22 Jul 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

I am growing Cobra cayenne and Island Hellfire cayenne this year. Would be glad to send some seeds out to you after I get a few ripe pods.
Could you give me some more information on the Hellfire pepper? I'm thinking of growing it in my garden this year. :)

Scorchy said:
Could you give me some more information on the Hellfire pepper? I'm thinking of growing it in my garden this year. :)
They were fine. Small pods, maybe about 2 inches. Flavor and heat was very similar to any other cayenne I have grown in the past. I use mine dried and flaked, and in hot sauces. I like the base heat and flavor they provide for sauces and when I want to kick the heat up I just some super hots when I cook the sauce. I am not growing them this year for two reasons; first they are small, I can grow different varieties of cayenne that have bigger pods, therefore will lead to more sauce or dried flake. Secondly, I am trying a couple a couple of new cayenne varieties. I would give them a shot, you will like them.

hot stuff said:
Those cobra and hellfire are germinating really well. I'm looking forward to them fruiting.
Good to hear, you will like them. Seemed very similar to me except the Cobras are just a longer pod.

I really like Maule's Red cayenne.  They get 6" - 8" long, but are fairly thick as well.  Mine last year got about 1" - 1.5" thick at the base.  The taste is pretty sweet, but I really like them because of how thick they are.  Just more pepper goodness per pod.

I tried a yellow cayenne two years ago and didn't like it very much for a cayenne sauce.  It didn't blend very smooth, and was always kind of granular.

AaronTT said:
Hmm, no one likes cayennes? I am growing the golden cayenne, but I have yet to try it as its only now starting to show a couple of flowers. I can't wait to make some yellow cayenne powder.
i love gold and red cayennes! i dehydrate both and mix the powder. it makes a beautiful orange mix that i put on almost everything i eat until i run out 8(. IMO, The gold ones taste better but have a little more heat!
Swartmamba said:

Got to agree with you, one of the worst peppers to eat whole. great for powders though.

I have the yellow variety as well, but never can bring myself to plant it
yellow or gold is IMO is my favorite! the gold variety is a lot better to eat whole. i dice it up and add it to everything i cook, and powder it up so it don't go to waste. you should plant that gold cayenne asap. 8)
if all you grow is chinense, then, i suggest growing gold cayenne and fresno, for they are mature way before the superhots.

Back