• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What makes the magic happen!

Bunnings dont sell Brunnings to the best of my knowledge?? A lot of the cheap stores do though (Overflow etc).

Gasificada, are your plants outdoor 24/7, or under light at night?

I have seen big bags of the Tomato Magic at one of my local Bunnings stores but I got a smaller bag from Coles (and I have also seen it at Big W). The strange thing with Bunnings is, I find they can be inconsistent with what they sell from store to store. Sometimes I find myself having to visit two (sometimes even three) stores before I finally get what I went looking for!

tooninoz, I bring them in at night and put them in the kitchen under a standard cool white fluoro for a few hours. Not sure if it really does anything for them but with the cloudy skies the past week, I figure I gotta get them as much light as possible! Poor little fellas are becoming a little leggy.....

I bought a bag of Brunnings Tomato Magic Growing Mix having learnt about it here. I plan on comparing it to Amgrow Seed Raising Mix and Organix Organic Potting Mix. I sowed three Tabasco seeds into three pots filled with the respective mixes.

The Amgrow Seed Raising Mix thus far seems to have a greater affinity for water than I expected.

To follow up on my own test of mixes I found my seedlings grew better in Amgrow Seed Raising Mix. The three Tabasco did sprout but two were lost due to stuck seed caps. The remaining sprout is stunted when compared to the Tabasco plants in the Amgrow Seed Raising Mix. The three Maraba Yellow, one Seven Pot, three Trinidad Scorpion seedlings sowed into the same medium are also exhibiting slow growth.

The two out of three Tabasco seeds that sprouted in the Amgrow Seed Raising Mix have since been divided and transplanted from a 100 mm square pot into 140 mm filled with Tomato Magic Growing Mix. These two plants are doing well since the transplanting.

The Bishop's Hat, Habanero Brown, Habanero Orange and Rocoto Orange plants that I transplanted into larger pots topped up with Tomato Magic Growing Mix are doing well. All of these plants have matured to the point of developing flower buds.

My Habanero plants began November 3 and has yet to set fruit. My benchmark C. Chinense for testing the mix will be the Caribbean Red variety that had no trouble setting fruits last season.

Ah, I forgot about this thread.

I am not so happy with the Tomato Magic anymore. The first bag I got was amazing but two bags since then have had a completely different, horrible texture which although may have excellent drainage properties but absolutely won't hold water.... full stop. The stuff dries out far too quickly and it is an utter PITA to get wet again!

It is a shame because the first bag was so good. One thing that absolutely pisses me off with potting mixes is ones that are far too inconsistent.

Back