• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

what should i be looking for?

I want to find a local market either Indian,Asian,Brazillian,african........ you get the idea. what do you guys think would be my bets start in locating some cool rare chilli's and where would you look?

Most of them have nothing. They commercialize them because Americans aren't into the 'heat.' I never find any products that mirror what is probably consumed in the native country.

Go to a city or region that has a fair number of immigrants. Find a tiny little store front neighborhood market in a neighborhood where the owners of the store share the ethnicity of the 'hood.

Thats where you will find what your looking for. be polite and tell them you like to cook, and you would like to try chillies from their country and authentic recipes. I have had lovely conversations with people who emigrated from Viet Nam, Mexico, India, Sri Lanka, Cuba and Brazil, the Middle East, all because I was in search of one ingredient. Everyone is eager to talk about themselves and the food they love. Sometimes they keep the really special items in the back, sold only to those who know what they are talking about.

Good luck!

If you ask me, I would say"You are wasting your time"

I have been thro all these. Only success I have found was in Bangladeshi stores where I could get Naga Morich pickles, green fresh ones .
In Patel brothers, you would get nameless medium hot or mild peppers only.
Green and fresh, you will get Thai.

NJA

I live in a city that is very diverse. We have a store in which there are products that the ingredients are translated and added to the product on a sticker- the original product has no English. I know that at this store people can buy things that are kept in the back that Americans would not like to see on grocery store shelves (a variety of insects, for instance).

There isalso a store that calls itself Indian/Pakistani, and I have often been the only American there on a very busy day.

IN Florida I would think you could find an ethnic neighborhood that might have something. I will go to my neighborhood store and catalog what pepper products we have there. I do not know that I can get fresh chillies at the Indian grocery, right now, and I have moved from that neighborhood, but I will be nearby this week or next and will make a point to visit and see what I can find. I used to find a small green chili that I discovered I could not add in the quantities I prefered if I was serving guests. I do not usually like green chilies but I was very fond of this one!

Cool..

Celste I will look for these places, I think it's worth a shot to try, Might even find cool shapes colors heats flavors IDK, I'm always keeping my eyes peeeled i guess.

check your yellow pages & start checking each market out. I doubt you'd find rare chiles but you might find chiles that you cant commonly find at your main grocery store.
also you might find some other chiles products you'd like to try...again you might be able to get at your main grocery store.

start going to farmers markets around the area, another great place to get chiles! including bargins for fresh chiles in the pounds for low price.

since I travel often for work, I'll stop at any store that sparks interest to me for having any chile products & hopefully something I've never tried. I've found some great finds doing this.

For Missouri Folk: Jay's Market- formerly Jay's Asia, has been on Grand in South St. Louis for twenty five or thirty years. Originally they were an Asian market, and that influence is still strong- if you emigrated from Thailand, Viet Nam, China or Japan you will find fresh fruits and vegatables as well as packaged goods from home. Then they went international, with each aisle devoted to a particular country. Then, they had to add more shelves. there is a shelving unit half the length of the grocery store devoted to bottled pepper sauces alone, at least on the first three shelves. in almost every aisle there are packages of seasonings from a variety of countries, and I dont know if all the different pepper powders are completely translated into English. I had a lovely conversation with a Mexican woman who was buying dried arbol peppers to make salsa, because she was having guests, and "of course, you dont buy salsa, its too easy to make". There are other Asian groceries nearby. Cherokee has the Mexican Groceries,there is another good one that supplies Mexican restaurants(run by Mexicans) but I cant remember where. both Grand and Cherokee have groceries that are guarenteed halal (Muslim version of "kosher") -there is another one that calls it self "African grocery store".

The Indian Pakistani Grocery is on Page, in North County, near Warson, I believe, unless they moved.

Olive Street Road has a pretty good Chinatown going on, between Olivette and U. City. There are Korean stores there, too I think. Except for Jay's, I rarely see Americans anytime I shop in these places. If you dont know the name of what you are looking for in their language, (or have it written down) they may not be able to help you. If you are polite, however, they will be patient and try to help.

St. Louis is small, as large cities go. Just a bunch of neighborhoods developed and redefined by different group of people moving here from elsewhere. Any large urban area that has immigrant inhabitants should also have corresponding groceries. The foods that are sold in these places are either shipped from countries of origin or developed by immigrants here to sell to their own culture.

In season try your local farmers' or public markets, the big ones usually have some pepper vendors although super-hotties would likely still be quite a rare find

i go to amish and buy stuff they have amazing viges every year including some pepper plants and pepper harvest cant wait till they open again

oh- and interesting note: Save-a-lot in St Louis (are they elsewhere? maybe Safeway's are similar) kind of specialize in paying attention to the local demographic. my father says the one near him is in a Latino neighborhood- and they get all kinds of peppers in, and he watches folk just fill up grocery bags with them!

Back