• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What Should I Do with All of My Cayenne Peppers?

D'oh! I know, eat them:lol:.

Seriously, though. I am going to have my first harvest in a day or so and I don't know what I am going to do with 10 or so Hot Portugal Cayenne peppers. I will eat one immediately, but I'm not going to eat them all.

Should I dry them? Freeze em' or something else? What do you all do with your peppers.

I have been drying a few and really enjoy fresh Cayenne Powder. Freezing them will make them mushy upon thawing. But, I have found that if you mince them first and them add a small amount of Olive Oil to them and place them in ice cube trays. They make an ideal size for cooking with. I have done this with just about every type of pepper and the Pepper cubes seem to last for ever in the freezer.

Eat two or three of them, right there on the spot. Seriously. I did this once and it was insane! The heat was intense....go all out dude!

Also, refridgerate them in a little bag and use them in every single meal until they are gone. Make a Cayenne week out of it. In the morning, dice them up and make an omlet, put it on a burger for lunch, make a pizza for dinner with slices of them.

imaguitargod said:
Eat two or three of them, right there on the spot. Seriously. I did this once and it was insane! The heat was intense....go all out dude!

Also, refridgerate them in a little bag and use them in every single meal until they are gone. Make a Cayenne week out of it. In the morning, dice them up and make an omlet, put it on a burger for lunch, make a pizza for dinner with slices of them.
i like that idea!:onfire:

Pepperfreak said:
I have been drying a few and really enjoy fresh Cayenne Powder. Freezing them will make them mushy upon thawing. But, I have found that if you mince them first and them add a small amount of Olive Oil to them and place them in ice cube trays. They make an ideal size for cooking with. I have done this with just about every type of pepper and the Pepper cubes seem to last for ever in the freezer.

Do you use a dehydrator or just string em' up? I have never dried peppers so any information or advice would be much appreciated. I live in a humid environment so I don't know if the stringing thing would work...

Also, what is the process for powdering the peppers? Dry em' out, remove the seeds and blend into a fine powder?

dehydrator works best IMO. Just dry em up, remove the stem, into a processor or coffee grinder. No removal of anything. You don't need to remove the hottest bits. That's just crazy talk. :)

Cayennes shouldn't need a dehydrator like most peppers, as long as its not too humid they should dry OK. I remove seeds from Cayennes once dry since there can be a lot, and there really isn't that much extra heat in the seeds

ditto, just eat'em!
you're only talking about 10 pods, correct ?
eat them one by one for your meals or just put all 10 pods in 1 meal & cook.

I dont break out my dehydrator until I have ALOT of pods that need to be dried (more or less when the pods are ripening in full swing) other than that they get frozen for hot sauce or eaten.

Back