• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds What stage do move my seedlings to under lights?

Hi All,

I have a few seeds germinated, just wondering what stage do i take them out of there little hot house and put them under lights.

Thanks in advance

\m/

I've planted

7 Pod/ 7/Pot
African Bird
Ancho Poblano
Bhut Jolokia (Germinated)
Bolivian Rainbow
Cayenne Red (Germinated)
Guajillo
Peter Pepper Red
Tabasco (Germinated)
Jalapeno (Germinated)

I made the mistake of letting some sprout and not go under light right away and they got very leggy, the ones I got under the lights or sprouted under the lights turned out great! Good grow list, wish you the best of luck.

Nice list from mild to wild mate, but not much in between. I can spare a few Fatali seeds and Yellow 7Pot if you're interested.

I hope you have different lights for the different seedlings...the cayenne are gonna grow faster than anything else IMO...your chinense will grow a lot slower...

what I am saying is as a general rule, the annuums will out fast the chinense as far as height goes...so...you need to have at least two sets of lights you can use...because you are going to have two different height plants thus at least two sets of lights needed...

did that make sense?

and to answer your question...as soon as you see hooks emerging from the soil....pour the light to them or else legginess will occur as has already been stated...

AJ speaks the truth! He is one of the people on this forum that I would definately listen to. His peppers are like weeds...they grow out of control!

Thanks for the info guys,

With ones that weren't put under lights straight away, will they still produce or will they be no good. My Jalapenos were about 5-10 cm tall and tabasco 3-5cm.

Also how close do i put the light to them, i'm just using a make-shift box with a single fluro light bout 30cm long.

Hoping they'll be alright especially the tabasco.

Thanks very much

\m/

If you have more seeds plant them anyway but you can still use the ones you have. They'll likely need to be staked and each time you pot them up, bury them deeper in the soil and leave room in the pot to add more soil as they grow. Roots will grow from the stem. Use a slow fan to toughen them up a bit too... preferably after staking :)

Edit: Keep them as close as possible to your light without touching the tube.....and invest in some more lights pronto.

They will be OK, just a little leggy and you can compensate for that when you move them to a larger pot later, just plant them deeper.

You want the plants about an inch from the bulb.

Good luck with your grow.

How much more light do i need?

Ive only got them in a make shift set-up at the moment, its an old set of draws bout 2-3ft long 2ft wide and 2ft tall, so only quite small. I've got the fluro just sitting above them. How many hours a day should the light be on them.

I would do a photo but somebody's got my camera at the moment.

Sorry to keep asking probably stupid questions, but you guy's no what your talking about, and im just learning.

Thanks heaps

\m/

Ive only got them in a make shift set-up at the moment, its an old set of draws bout 2-3ft long 2ft wide and 2ft tall, so only quite small. I've got the fluro just sitting above them. How many hours a day should the light be on them.

Sorry to keep asking probably stupid questions, but you guy's no what your talking about, and im just learning.

Thanks heaps

\m/

Dont be sorry mate, was gonna ask a similar question, but got a couple of answers from this thread!

Which fluro light do the aussies reccomend? Will pick one up from bunnings today.

Thanks heaps

\m/

Your best bet is to have a good look through all the current grow logs and you'll see how everyone has set up their lights etc. and then decide how you want to go. Read the first page of them and you'll likely learn plenty about germinating etc. I just have some shelving in a wardrobe but there are endless options. Regarding hours of light, my plants basically keep the same hours I do. Switch them off when I go to bed and back on when I get up. This is only my second year growing from seed (got fed up of Orange Habs from Bunnings :) ) so hopefully you'll get better advice from others.

Dont be sorry mate, was gonna ask a similar question, but got a couple of answers from this thread!

Which fluro light do the aussies reccomend? Will pick one up from bunnings today.

Any old flouro lights from Bunnings or electrical suppliers.... only problem is you have to buy a plug and cable and wire them up yourself. I bought aquarium tubes for mine but it seems I wasted my money as most guys just use ordinary flouro tubes with great results.

I can't find the article right now, but one of the universities did a study and determined that optimum light periods for pepper/tomato growth was 24/7 for the first 6 weeks after germination then 20/4 after that....just remember, peppers are NOT photoperiod sensitive like one of the other cash crops are...

as far as what type of light to use...red spectrum for flowering/fruiting (~2700K color temperature) and more of a blue spectrum for vegetative growth (~6000K color temperature)

Damn, i put my 7 Pot under my fluro light all night as per AJ, and it dried out, wilted and died!

These jiffy peat pellets dry out so quickly!, got any tips to keep them moist? Right now i just use a mister to keep them wet, but i think it just does the surface... Should i give them a good soaking?

Damn, i put my 7 Pot under my fluro light all night as per AJ, and it dried out, wilted and died!

These jiffy peat pellets dry out so quickly!, got any tips to keep them moist? Right now i just use a mister to keep them wet, but i think it just does the surface... Should i give them a good soaking?

dang man...sorry 'bout that...don't know what to say other than I didn't know you had them in jiffys...and as SS says misting is not enough....again...sorry man

Bummer.... Did you decide against the Debco or are you trying a couple of ways of germinating?

Back