• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What the @#$%!

Any one know what's happening here? Not enough water? When I first noticed a few plants were wierding thought maybe afids were after my babies. Sprayed soome diluted neem/soap water as I had done on a couple other plants in the past. Still happening. They are not getting full sun all day, but they do get pretty stong afternoon evening sun and I'm thinking maybe they are getting burnt. The newer leaves seem to be shriveling and even getting a little brown on some of the edges. Help!
Burntleaves005.jpg

It's easy for those that have done it a long time. For the rest of us, it's a miracle anything actually happens.

One thing I've learned is that the more I mess with it, the worse it becomes.

It could be a fertilizer burn or it could also be a lack of a certain nutrient.

Growing chilies is full of trials, learning, errors, trying to get along with mother nature, and an art. Its far from easy bro. The rewards are definitly worth while.. I wouldnt trade it for anything. What kind of fert and nutes are you using and at what intervals?

I'm not using any fert, but maybe the bat guano, worm castings and what ever else is in the Kelloggs patio plus potting soil. Don't understand why it's only happening to some of my plants and not all. I've treated them all the same. Shouls I flush with more water to try and dilute the fert content? Ugggghhhh!

I'll give the roots a look and yes Scott it is humid here. Wonder if salty trade winds could have any negative effect? Thanks guys!

Hey K! Mine went through a stage like that.. recovering slowly... i have been leaving them alone since i fish emulsion-ed them... (used to much) ( they are just getting rain and sunshine.. and doing fine). maybe that Kellogs is just too hot. bet there is a customer rating on the stuff some where out there... maybe even here. Drop Kellogs in the search engine and see if it pops anything for ya.

was also wondering... did it still smell like "poo" when you started to use it? i used a Scots humus and manure blend one year and it still smelled a lot like poo... plants did not like that one bit.. only my tomatoes were able to flourish in it..

Check the roots to make sure they are a nice white color with no rot

+1

I have a Datil with similar "warping" of the leaves. The little guy hasnt given up and keeps growing, so I keep it around. I just re-potted everything (my plants needed more room) last weekend and noticed that the roots are a bit off-white/muddy grey in color (ROOT ROT). So, this one is now outside (I garden indoors) so that it can be blasted with powerful Colorado sun to dry out the soil. I've been told that it can grow new roots and should recover.

Yes the Kelloggs Patio Plus does have a strong smell. With chicken manure, bat guano, worm castings and kelp meal all in there I'll bet they got a little burnt. I should have mixed the kelloggs with a mellow potting soil to reduce fert, but was lazy and went for it. Could have been a big pile of chicken shit in there that blasted a few of my babies. I'm going to repot with a generic (mellow) potting soil and see if that helps bring them back. Thanks for everyones help! Aloha, Dundee

if its smelling like poo, then there might not be enough oxygen in the soil. im guessing, like when your making compost (or was it compost tea), if it starts to smell funky, then you need to give it more air.

Back