• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What to do with this TALL orange habanero??

I started this orange hab late spring. It looks nice and green and hasnt put out any flowers. It is rather tall and im wondering wheather i should transplant and cut the tallness back? Should i transplant and leave alone? or should i leave alone perioid? Im fairly new to pepper growing and don't want to accidently kill it.

I almost murdered a nice Orange Hab last week, made the rookie mistake of transplanting when it had lots of pods :( he's in the shade and looking a whole lot better now :)

(orange manzano bush in the back )
20110826111824.jpg

i would cut the head to force new lower branch to appear.

maybe you have a new frankeinstein peper ;) try to make something from that wierd plant!

I'm definitely not a chile grower knowledgable person by any means. Just my <2cents worth of the picture-

the thick stalk, big leaves and lack of flowers sounds like the Aji plants we've been trying to grow for the last 2 seasons. They get huge leaves, tall structure, and no pods. Aji's are in the habanero family. The aji's we had grew totally different from some red savinas and fatallis we had growing. We had great production from the red savinas and from fataliis...not a pod from the ajis.

just a thought, might be an option~

I always transplant when there is lots of pods and have never had a problem. Just don't put them in full sun right away, let them get used to their new home for a bit first.
I'd cut the top off your tall plant and let it get bushier, and transplant it into a bigger container

Could it be a Habanero De Arbol?
They aren't Habanero looking but grow like yours is,tree like.

baby orange Habanero De Arbol

PICT2060.jpg

Red version

PICT2054.jpg

Beth at Peppermania thinks it's a ChinenseXBaccatum.It has traits of both Chinense and Baccatum.
It's a stable cross and seeds grow true.
My oldest one was pushing 15yrs old when mites killed it last year.

Sick looking,mite infested orange tree hab.See all the dead branch ends...lack of leaves...

128.jpg

They have large leaves like your until they branch out.
They don't like heat very much but once they put out pods they will year round.
The oldest one easily survived up to a week of 30 degree nights several times without loosing a leaf.
Heavy producer even under harsh conditions(mite infested orange tree pic).

Orange during happier times.

IM003461.jpg

I wouldn't top it if it is a Habanero De Arbol,you'll stop it from reaching it's full size...12-15ft easily.
The last pic shows where I trimmed mine the 3rd year because I needed a ladder to pick pods.

Thanks guys for the Helpfull responses...

Smokemaster those trees are gorgeous!! I hope mine is a Habanero de arbol! here are some more shots of it. It has 4 or so small branches near the bottom. I'm tempted now to leave it alone and cross my fingers its a de arbol type :) The man who gave me the seeds does grow other types of peppers :) a cross maybe. Agreed it does not look like my other orange hab plant.

20110828144503.jpg
20110828144117.jpg

20110828144734.jpg

Back